The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 6, 2009, 08:49 PM   #1
simmoag

Benelli M4 or M1

What is the difference between the M4 and M1 Benelli?
Old January 6, 2009, 08:55 PM   #2
Creeper

M4 is gas operated, M1/M2 is "inertia" operated.
C
Old January 7, 2009, 09:45 PM   #3
simmoag

which one

which is the better action?
Old January 7, 2009, 10:53 PM   #4
Creeper

IMO...

Better for what? There is no "better"... only different. In the right hands, the ubiquitous Remington 870 pump is the equal or better of a Benelli auto... in the hands of a squid. Capisce?

The M4 is used by the armed forces, but you must remember that their ammo is a relative, known constant.

The M1 and M2 are highly desirable firearms for law enforcement (again, a relative constant... but a bit more variable), as well as private individuals... for HD, 3-gun competition and hunting.

I considered both, and bought an M2 tactical. I saw no practical advantage to buying an M4. Money was not an issue.
There are numerous personal, and sometimes heated opinions regarding both guns... I made my decision based on my perceptions of need. YMMV.

The current M2 Tactical is lighter by about a pound. This is good and bad. Bad is the M4 weighs more... good is, for the recoil sensitive, the heavier M4 is a softer shooter.

The M4s gas system is a little more tolerant of light loads. The inertia system on the M1 and M2 will not function with loads below X value.

The M1 and M2 sometimes will fail to extract if you load them down with "tacticool" farkles... screws with the inertia design. The M4 doesn't care how much stuff you hang off of them. This factors in for many people that like to hang lots of stuff off a shotgun.

Both guns have increased in value over retail (in most parts of the country). This is due more to a short supply and higher than normal demand triggered by the recent elections and subsequent paranoia.

This is the tip of the iceberg, there's much more... but you can do your own research. The Benelli website and forums are a good place for you to begin due diligence.

Ciao,
C

Last edited by Creeper; January 7, 2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old January 12, 2009, 09:02 AM   #5
harrydog

I love my Benelli M1. The M4 is a really nice shotgun but I think the M1/M2 is a much more versatile gun. I have both an 18" and a 28" barrell for mine so it can be used for hunting, home defense, sporting clays and trap. Plus it's a very proven and durable design.