The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 25, 2008, 08:32 AM   #1
closetgunnut

Reloaders Anonymous?

Hi, my name is Closet and I think I may have a reloading problem. Let me describe the symptoms...

1) Lately I have found myself acquiring supplies for a 22-250 that I don't even own yet! Dies, Lee case length gauge, bullets...... Oh, Brass!! I need BRASS!

2) I find myself easily distracted at all times pondering: What make and model? Stainless or Blued? Bull barrel? Wood or synthetic stock.......

Is this a terminal disease? Am I destined to wander dark and murky gunshops
for all eternity?

Any Doctors out there?

----------
Ok, to my real question:

I'm looking for something that I can punch paper with to start with and do some groundhog hunting in the future.

I have narrowed my choice to two 22-250 rifles:
Savage Model 12 FV Varmint and
Remington 700 SPS Varmint.

Which would you buy and why?
Blued or Stainless bull barrel?
Anyone own either of these?
Any opinions, suggestions and input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Closet

"There's no drug test for stupid."
Old October 25, 2008, 09:13 AM   #2
JAYBIRD78

I bought a Savage 12 in .223 years ago and have been happy. I changed the stock to a full aluminum bed Bell and Carlson and it helped shrink my groups considerably. Sounds like Savage has a new factory stock coming out or is out that has aluminum rail all ready installed. While I don't own a Remington rifle I have shot some and they are nice too. I really don't think you will go wrong with either. BUY A NICE SCOPE is the best advice. I have a Bushnell 4200 and a Nikon Monarch and have been very happy with both.

Shameless plug: I have since just bought my second Savage this year. They plain just shoot great out of the box. That ugly barrel nut just means when it's time to rebarrel, you can do it yourself.
Old October 25, 2008, 10:28 AM   #3
mkg

Quote:
Which would you buy and why?
Savage , Better out of the box trigger, you can do barrel changes yourself, floating bolt head.

Quote:
Blued or Stainless bull barrel?
Stainless, less to maintain. Ground hogs at range and paper won't care if you have a silver barrel.

Quote:
Anyone own either of these?
I have mulitple Savage rifles , one is a model 12 BVSS in 22-250. Very accurate ( right at 1/2 MOA ) easy and cheap to reload for. If you can swing the extra I'd go for the BVSS unless you're sure you're getting the new accu-stock version.

Mike
Old October 25, 2008, 10:33 AM   #4
Smaug

Savage. Better out of the box accuracy with no jerking around. I really like their accu-trigger. Seems like they have defeated the lawyers and avoided custom trigger work.

As for the finish, it is just personal preference. You likely won't be groundhog hunting or paper-punching in the rain. You're not going to wear the finish by putting it in and out of a scabbard. So it comes down to a preference in looks.

I prefer the looks of blued guns with walnut stocks, but I will go stainless if there is a functional reason to do so.

Get collet dies for it, and a top-quality scope.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old October 25, 2008, 10:42 AM   #5
44Magnum

Yep! My name is 44Magnum, and I'm a reloadaholic. Recognizing you have a problem is the first step in recovery..........But I'm not sure this is a disease I want to be cured of.

P.S. Go with the Savage blued.

I like stainless handguns, but to me rifles just don't look right unless they are blued. Strange, huh?
Old October 25, 2008, 11:13 AM   #6
Whisper 300

I cannot fathom why you think you have a "problem".
I have collected brass long before buying the gun.
There is always a reason to purchase another caliber, another manufacturer of the same caliber you already have or a variant of something you really like.
If you can spare the cash or hide it in the safe or buy one that looks like something you already have you can always say"Oh, that gun, I had this for years" or I just got it back from the gunsmith after some minor trigger work"

Yeah, it's an addiction or the very least habituation but I see no need for therapy

Enjoy your new found problem.

Gary
Old October 25, 2008, 01:25 PM   #7
closetgunnut

Thanks for the input!

I'm leaning towards the Savage FV but if I could get the BV Model with a blued barrel I'll go that route. I've been doin' research and have noticed people moving away from Remington saying that they are not made as well anymore.

I don't think I have a "problem" but the wife does!!! I just give her $20 and tell her to go buy some gardening stuff. She has more of that than I have reloading supplies.

I got about 1500 .224 bullets ranging from 50-60gr from a relative's estate and bought 500 55gr Varmint Nightmare from Midsouth. All I need, besides the rifle, is some brass. You guys have any brass preference?

I've been loading 30-06 for the Garand and 30 M1 carbine without to many problems so far.
Any favorite 22-250 loads out there? Will a 1in12 twist barrel stabilize a 60gr bullet?

Thanks,
Closet

"There's no drug test for stupid."
Old October 25, 2008, 01:47 PM   #8
Stick_man

yep, it's an addiction. No sure cure for it so far, but many have said you just need to work through it. It may take thousands of rounds to just get it under control. I have been working on my addiction for some 30 years now with little "progress" towards curing it. There have been periods when I thought I had it under control, only to relapse to the same levels as before.

A new Savage has the potential for helping work through it, but it also has the potential to make the addiction even stronger.

Good luck.
Old October 25, 2008, 02:51 PM   #9
tug

Seems my wife says I have the same problem also, I just think it is a different point of view. I see a gun I like so I buy it no problem UNLESS I cant afford it and must wait and save up (boy I have had to do that more than once ...arugh... the waiting kills me) thats where there is a problem. She refuses to go to the gun shop with me anymore unless she's getting a gun, because she'll wait for hours and eventually I buy something, she can go in buy the gun and leave. But it is my social time with people I like and share similar views on many things its my comfort zone. My wife has her own guns and loves to shoot at the range I'll have her hunting in a year. She also says we need to get a boat again. AM I DREAMING, AM I IN HEAVEN, WHAT DID I DO RIGHT? cuz I want to keep doing it!
As far as the rifle goes which ever one you like the feel of the most and the SS issue is weather conditions. I like the looks and feel of blued metal with a walnut stock, but would get an SS with a composit stock if conditions were like SE Alaska lots of rain, mist and moisture.
GOOD LUCK!
Old October 25, 2008, 02:56 PM   #10
tug

I forgot to mention I to have a collection of brass I may never use I just cant seem to leave any laying on the ground, I call it a hobby, I am just now getting started in reloading. what cart ? what horse ?
Old October 25, 2008, 04:47 PM   #11
mkg

Quote:
Any favorite 22-250 loads out there?
I use varget and 55gr. Nosler ballistic tips , WLR primers . Seems to work for me.
As far as powder charge I use 35gr. of varget which gives me 3620 f/sec MV . 26" 1:12 twist stock Savage mod 12 barrel .
Brass, I use winchester most often.
Quote:
Will a 1in12 twist barrel stabilize a 60gr bullet?
Depends on the rifle and the load. I've never tried it . I know a 70gr. VLD will keyhole.

If you think you have it bad now, wait till you start printing little tiny groups with that 22-250.

Mike