The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 8, 2005, 10:06 AM   #1
somoss

hand loader selection

hi. i am looking into reloading my own ammunition. i want to learn and am looking into getting a small handpress like the lee handpress. it is a portable unit that comes with:
Hand Press, Ram Prime, Powder Funnel, Case Sizing Lube,
and the correct die. is there anything else i need?
or can you recommend another simple and portable kit?
i may be taking it with me overseas and i need it to be portable. i mainly use 8x57 ammunition.
thanks
Old August 8, 2005, 10:47 AM   #2
m0ntels

A scale is a must even though a handful might tell you it isnt. I use the Hornady because it is metal and is graduated more than all the other scales I've seen.

Also safety glasses are good to use too. No sense making bullets if you cant see the target anymore

A caliper and/or Lee case trimmer and lock stud (I recommend the ball handle too!) and a debur/chamfer tool. Frankford caliper is $18-20 and will help you with case and cartridge length. I recomend the Hornady debur/chamfer tool also because it is bigger. Bigger trim tools make them alot easier to hold and use for an extended period of time. Rifle cases grow after a few firing and need to be trimmed. The Lee trimmers are a stud of the specific length of the cartridge you shoot and will trim to the correct size with no fuss or setup or a $60 trim machine. The Lee trimmer only runs $4.

I think there is one Lee hand press kit that comes with the Lee Reloading Guide book. The book gives you loads for just about every cartridge you'll come across, as well as a huge section telling you the SAFE and PROPER way to reload. I have well over a dozen load manuals, but I say 1 is a must. The Lyman manual I like the best though. It has many articles and cartridge histories in it, and I sit down with it a few times a week.

So you still should be under $100 initial investment (you'll grow to want more though...lol) but you'd have all you need to safely and properly load. The scale is the most expensive piece ($50-70 new, half of that used but be careful, scales are delicate) but IMO it is good to be able to double check how much powder you are using. I guess you would be using dippers, which I have had good luck with, but I always check them with my scale.

I think that's all I started with (but I got a Rock Chucker and adjustable powder measure) and it all has served me well. I have a closet full of stuff a year later, but between your list and mine, you just about got it all covered.

Randy
Old August 8, 2005, 11:03 AM   #3
Leftoverdj

I'm one of the handful. Lee dippers work fine, and scales are too delicate to be part of a traveling kit. I'd add a loading block and case lube to your list. My own preference would be for the little Lee Loader Press and a couple of C clamps rather than the Hand Press. I don't like having both hands tied up.

You might consider the HDS Compac Tool. It's a bit more expensive than the Lee, but it's smaller and can be clamped to any handy surface as well as operated in your hands.
Old August 8, 2005, 01:13 PM   #4
m0ntels

Lyman makes a hand tool too that can be clamped down also but I think the Lee looks more comfortable to use. That Compac is pretty nice though!

I guess the scale could be done without. I was thinking of it to ensure uniformity, but I know some people believe it's more accurate to throw charges by volume rather than mass. To a good extent, I'd agree that they work out about the same, but I dont have a chrony yet. If you're only shooting 8mm, I'd imagine you're using mostly surplus, and QC on that if it's anything close to Wolf, I guess you couldnt do much worse without a scale.

If used properly, dippers should keep you well within a safe charge anyway. He didnt say if this was going to be going to the range with him or just a setup small enough to be kept in a cabinet at home or used in a small apartment. I guess when he sees how much better handloads can be, he'll end up with one eventually anyway along with all that other gear we all "need" in the end. Some days I think I enjoy reloading more than shooting.

Randy