The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 7, 2015, 07:10 AM   #26
TimSr

Quote:
With that particular set up there are a couple of other thing he will need. Good sharp knife, camera, and friends to help drag.
The camera is most important because I want to see photos of his buddies dragging a moose.
Old July 7, 2015, 10:16 AM   #27
Ridgerunner665

Forget the 175's in the 7-08...160 Partitions will be plenty heavy enough.

And 150's in the 270 would do just as well...
Old July 7, 2015, 02:47 PM   #28
NHSHOOTER

My friend has hired a guide so I would imagine he will use a 4 wheeler or a good strong horse.
He has decided on his 270 with 150 gr interlocks and lots of practice.
Old July 10, 2015, 11:58 AM   #29
ZeroJunk

Yeah, if I was going to buy a rifle I might choose the 7-08 just because you can get it extremely light in the little Kimbers etc. But, I wouldn't borrow one expecting any advantage in performance because of a heavier slower bullet.
Old July 12, 2015, 08:46 PM   #30
Dirty_Harry

I dont really understand, they are both about the same power......

If you must upgrade, sell the .270 and get the .30-06. You still arent gaining much except bullet selection.

If it were me, I would use the .270.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old July 12, 2015, 09:22 PM   #31
William T. Watts

I'd vote with TimSr

A 270 Winchester with Partition bullets for nearly everything except big bears should be all one needs for Elk or Moose. Many years ago I shot a whitetail buck thru the brisket head on and found the partition near the anus how much penetration does one need? I've used Partitions in everything I shot for more than 30 years and never been disappointed.. William
Old July 12, 2015, 10:25 PM   #32
Regular Joe

This thread reminds me of a little story I read in one of the Hornady manuals.
They were sitting around a campfire, on a hunt. One of the younger guys presented several mangled bullets. He said that none of them had performed as they should have, because the deformation was pretty random, rather than the picture perfect mushrooms that we like to see. Joyce Hornady asked him: "Where did you get those bullets from?". The guy replied that he had cut them out of dead critters.
The obvious question is, if the bullets didn't perform, how did the critters get dead? Stop agonizing. Either caliber can kill a moose, though neither one is a .338 Win. Mag.
Old July 13, 2015, 08:53 AM   #33
Buzzard Bait

no enough diference to matter

Look at the rifle, find the one you like, you would need instruments to measure the difference between those two calibers
bb
Old July 13, 2015, 10:28 AM   #34
Colt46

both are fine

The only real difference is one is short action, the other is long. The .270 will give you better range, but not going to be really much of an issue in practical applications.
Moose are big, tough creatures. Use a premium bullet.
Old July 13, 2015, 12:08 PM   #35
kraigwy

I love the 270, and I wouldn't have a problem taking it for any game in North America.

The 7-08 is also an excellent round. At normal hunting ranges the 7-08 will do anything the 270 will and visa versa.

I don't know where the comment that the 270 kicks as much as an '06 comes from. I have both and don't find that to be the case, but neither are objectionable and I'm a wimp when it comes to recoil.

Quote:
Here is a link to Midway for the Woodleigh Weldcore 180 grain .270 bullets. A well constructed 150 grain bullet will do just fine for the job but due to your friend and his guides fondness for ungodly heavy bullets here you go.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/871...oint-box-of-50

And here is a link to the same bullet already loaded by Double Tap, just in case.

http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.p...product_id=545
I like the idea of heavy 270 bullets, but that's not one. It has a low BC for a bullet of its length and drops more then the 150 grn. bullets.

Look at the Matrix Ballistics bullets, their 165 gr. bullet has a BC of .650 but you need a 1:9 or faster twist. Most 270s are 1:10.

My Model 70 has a 1:10, I shoot the 150 IB or SST from Hornady. Accurate and stays supper sonic to 1500 yards (MV 1750).
The IB it pricy, but has the same BC as the SST, I use the SST for practice/Target shooting and the IB for hunting.

I would like to build a 1:9 270 so I could try the Matrix Ballistics bullet but I personally don't think its needed for hunting. Target shooting? it looks promising.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Last edited by kraigwy; July 13, 2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old July 31, 2015, 02:19 PM   #36
samsmix

Gunplumber,

Those were called cut loads or cut shells, and they were a common poaching tool in the cash strapped 1930s Minnesota North Woods of my Fathers youth. He never used them though as they had a bad reputation for bulging the barrel on full choked guns, but he knew folks that did. In those days it was looked the other way if a poor family shot a deer, but let a moneyed man try it and they would throw the book at him.

Recent testing videos shown on YouTube have shown them to be a reasonably good improvised slug, fairly accurate, and massively destructive if somewhat low in penetration. Tested loads were 12ga. 1 1/8 oz "low brass".

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old July 31, 2015, 05:04 PM   #37
FITASC

While there ARE 175 bullets in 7mm, personally, MY 7-08 was the most accurate with a 140 gr bullet and that seems to be its sweet spot, much like the 7mm mag is with a 160. Not saying that a 140 won't take a moose in any way - HIS rifle with HIS loads will determine that, but I would not use a 175.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 31, 2015, 06:32 PM   #38
Terry_M

I have seen multiple 270 rounds completely come apart on elk and deer, but I've helped pack out moose killed with them and they were very dead. Heck I helped pack a moose killed with a 243 so it's all a matter of shot placement. Personally I would use the 7-08 because I don't like the recoil of a 270, but to each his own. I'm biased though. I love the 7-08. I hunt with 160 Speer Grand Slams, they are great for energy delivered on target and penetration.
Old August 2, 2015, 06:09 PM   #39
lefteye

Quote:
so it's all a matter of shot placement
Actually, it is also a matter of bullet design and construction. A hollow-point is not a good elk bullet - a Nosler Partition, for example, certainly is.
Old August 3, 2015, 09:01 PM   #40
ZeroJunk

Sure it is about shot placement, the fact that other than on forums people aren't all that good at placing shots perfectly.