The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 7, 2015, 05:40 AM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Recommend me some exercises.

I realised today that I have been so focussed on my rifles recently. Between trying to eek out some competence on my part with the AR, and testing various loads with my new suppressor with the bolt action I haven't shot my carry snub, now my woods revolver in ages.

Not to any meaningful level, anyway. I have a stack of loaded .38/.44Spl and some .44mags that deserve some of my attention at the range, not just the reloading bench!!

So, bearing in mind that I don't have a lot of the kit, nor facilities some shooters have in the US, can you recommend some useful drills or exercises for me to do?

Think a target or two, a holster, a gun and a speedloader and strips. What can be done.
Old July 7, 2015, 08:23 AM   #2
g.willikers

How restricted are you at your range?
Can you set up multiple targets?
At what distances?
Is rapid fire allowed?
Are you more interested in hunting, target shooting, defensive use or something else?
Old July 7, 2015, 08:59 AM   #3
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Can you set up multiple targets?
At what distances?
Is rapid fire allowed?
Are you more interested in hunting, target shooting, defensive use or something else?
Good questions!

OK:
-Distances range from 3-50m in one area where I could use pistols, another place would be anything from 1-10m.
-FA is not allowed, otherwise speed is not an issue.
-Purposes would be just good technique, as well as defensive roles and IPSC training. (the latter I can probably manage myself with a timer app on my phone.)
Old July 7, 2015, 09:26 AM   #4
dyl

Yes, I was going to ask the same thing. How restrictive.

It makes a difference if you can practice draws. In places I can't I at least start my presentation from compressed ready. Or from retention (elbow bent, butt against ribs)

In the most restrictive cases, I've been able to add some flavor by:

Starting from compressed ready, present, acquire and shoot controlled pair. Use a shot timer app.
Present, acquire, and shoot but face and present off to one side and a little bit high/low so you practice acquiring the target from all directions. Make your feet point off to the side so you start more genuinely "off target". (stay safe for other shooters too)

Target has 2 smaller targets within it. Practice 2 rounds left then 2 right, etc.. For more challenge, shoot 1 target, then swing your aim off paper (still be safe) then swing back and acquire second target and fire controlled pair. Do the same with diagonally spaced targets or vertical etc...In all directions.

Set up "cover" like a box or folding music stand that you have to lean to the side and fire around. Both sides. This may raise eyebrows. If you can't set up anything, practice leaning then firing as if you had cover.

You don't need me to tell you to practice reloads. Save ammo by just shooting 1-2, loading, shooting 2. Here's a good one - speed strips shooting with switched hands. HAH! Load from the speed loader/strip in your pocket like you would in real life.

Mix and match, do it all one handed, left handed one handed, write your average times for an exercise.

I found that on a really restrictive range, I can still work on fast target acquisition and re-acquisition. This is what slows me (and most casual shooters) down the most currently so even static ranges can be beneficial.
I always start and end with at least a few shots slow fire.. for pretty groups Actually for fundamentals.

Plenty to keep you busy and wishing you had more ammo/range time. You won't get your gross motor skills movement but since the job of the lower body is to provide a stable platform, at least you can work the upper half.

-------
just saw your second post. If you are allowed to set up 2 targets, set one VERY close and one 7-10 yards away. Practice drawing, presenting (or retention) and shoot the close one 2-3 times immediately/quickly, then change pace for a little more accuracy for 2 COM shots. If you can, practice using the first target as cover and shoot around.

Can you backpedal? Kneel? Draw?
Old July 7, 2015, 10:36 AM   #5
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Can you backpedal? Kneel? Draw?
If I am alone, which is often the case, then I can pretty much do what I want, within the realms of common sense and safety. I could shoot on the move, running etc.

I just have to be sensible and avoid any obnoxious "hollywood" action shots!!
Old July 7, 2015, 11:16 AM   #6
dyl

I just did my first IDPA match over the weekend so I wrote out of my residual excitement.

In general, while there was *some* shooting on the move, there wasn't a lot. It consisted of shooting a very close target while backpedalling, and also engaging another close second target off to the side while still either backpedalling or starting to run for cover. There was no shooting while full-tilt running as the priority was to run to cover while keeping your muzzle pointed 180 degrees downrange. But after we took cover then we had to "slice the pie" and lean out and engage a target, then lean a little more, and a little more, etc. You can also practice slicing the pie while peeking out from behind a barrel/chair. Low cover.

Novel skills were transition from point shooting very close targets in your face/contact (after a turn and draw) to farther away while going from point shooting "almost can't miss" to sighted fire again. That felt strange but not too bad. I would imagine that could be pretty helpful someday, as well as the reverse order which may be more so.

Even though we could plan when we would have to reload, it still caught most of us by surprise at slide lock due to heat of the moment and it took a fraction of a second to jam my hand in my pocket for a mag. Practice reloading under time.

Don't shoot yourself when you draw or reholster!

If the range doesn't allow some things, it's up to you to decide what to do when no one is looking. Some places have cameras.

I am lucky they didn't mandate any left handed shooting. That would have got me.
Old July 7, 2015, 11:21 AM   #7
dyl

If you can set up multiple target stands don't bother with several stickers on a single target stand. Much more effective. Different heights, different distances.
Old July 7, 2015, 03:57 PM   #8
Erno86

Shooting at steel reactive targets is fun. I especially like the Texas Star spinning gravity target --- though I've never shot at one --- I also like to shoot at balloons, tethered to a long stick like a bamboo pole, as it swings wildly in the wind; though this can get to be a bit frustrating at times.

Shooting at fruit, like large apples perched on a stick is fun. If the range will allow it...throw large pinecones on the dirt backstop berm, and make them dance and jump by shooting at the lower edge of the pinecone.

--- George Orwell
Old July 7, 2015, 04:49 PM   #9
g.willikers

Since you're lucky enough to have free reign of the place, how about downloading some of the uspsa, idpa, and ipsc classifiers to set up and run?
There's plenty of them with just two or three targets that would be easy to duplicate.
Old July 7, 2015, 06:53 PM   #10
raimius

I like Paul Howe's pistol standards:

Quote:
A measurable standard to maintain.
An efficient stair-stepped workout program that covers all the bases.
To test the individual shooter at various times to show areas needing improvement.
Only score shots in the center box and head of the CSAT target. If an enemy turns sideways, that will be all the shooter has to engage, resulting in a worse case scenario.
1. Ready 1 shot 1 target 7 yards 1 SEC
2. Holster 1 shot 1 target 7 yards 1.7 SEC
3. Ready 2 shots 1 target 7 yards 1.5 SEC
4. Ready 5/1 shots 1 target 7 yards 3 SEC
5. Ready 4 shots 2x target 7 yards 3 SEC
6. Ready 4 shots 2x weak/2x strong (1target) 5 SEC
7. Ready 1 shot Malfunction drill (1 target) 3 SEC
8. Ready 4 shots 2 Reload 2 (1 target) 5 SEC
9. Rifle up 1 shot Dry fire/transition 3.25 SEC
10. Holster 1 shot Kneeling (1 target) 25 yards 3.25 SEC
Total: 25 Rounds
INSTRUCTORS MUST PASS 8-10 STANDARDS IN ONE COURSE OF FIRE.
-All stations shot at 7 yards except #10.
http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com/standards.htm

I think they provide a good diagnostic to see where you need to practice more. You could use the A and B zones in an IPSC target, if you don't have any CSAT targets.
Old July 7, 2015, 07:34 PM   #11
Whirlwind06

I like to go from low ready and do double taps with my da/sa autos to practice the transition between the trigger pulls. With my da revolvers low ready and single shots.

I can only set up one target so I pick spots on the target and work on grouping my shots on that spot.

I like the idea of taping index cards, or masking tape on different spots.
Old July 16, 2015, 05:36 PM   #12
serf 'rett

I searched for some type of program for several years. Asked folks that I shot with about drills and couldn't get a good plan or program. Then I took a Shooting Performance class taught by Mike Seeklander and afterwards bought one of the training programs (and added more SP material later). Within a couple of months, my skill level showed significant improvement.

He has competition and defensive pistol and rifle training books/vidieos. For example of a book, you could check out:

http://www.amazon.com/Your-Defensive.../dp/1456542516

Good basic information, but I found the structured dry fire and live fire drills really set up exercises which are measurable, where you can analyze improvement and/or need for improvement over time. More information at their web site:

http://shooting-performance.com/
Old July 16, 2015, 10:25 PM   #13
kraigwy

Draw and shoot while laying on the ground like you were knocked on your butt at an ATM

Draw and shoot from the seat of the car while seat belted, as in car jacking.

Draw and shoot from a recliner as if it were a home invasion.

While pushing a shopping cart, push the cart toward the target, draw and fire while stepping back.

Along the same lines, draw and fire while carrying a bag of groceries in your strong hand.

Have a shooting partner aim at his target, ready to fire, he fires when he sees you start to draw. You'll beat him with practice.

I have a rag doll about 3 ft tall. I have people hold it as if they were walking a child, pull the doll behind you for protection as you draw and fire. Do this right and left handed.

I cannot stress enough weak hand shooting. 40% strong hand, 40% weak hand, and 20% two hand.

Read the papers, study the news for self defense shooting cases and use your imagination to come up with ideas. No two shooting situations are the same.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071