The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2011, 09:47 AM   #1
Hog Hunter

Case Trimmers HELP???

Im gettin tired of trimming my cases with my manual case trimmer. I do alot of loading for my rifles and my buddys rifles. Looking into gettin a power case trimmer. Wantin one that can get the case lenght down to the exact mesurments that I want everytime. What do yall use and whats the pros and cons of your trimmers. What would you recomend for what im looking for. I really dont want to spned over 200 on one. I am also a big fan of american made stuff. Ive done a little research on them but want some in the shop experiance with what yall use. Thanks for any input!!
Old January 17, 2011, 10:10 AM   #2
parttime

I don't have a power trimmer as yet, I currently use a Wilson trimmer and I am totally happy with it.

However, when I become rich and famous I plan on buying one of the Gracey power case timmers. Suppose to be the very best. matchprep.com
Old January 17, 2011, 10:17 AM   #3
PawPaw

I use Lee's little case trimmer. I've got about a dozen of them in various calibers. I chuck them into my power drill and go for it. The learning curve is flat and you can trim a lot of brass quickly.

It comes in two parts. The case length gage and shellholder, and the case trimmer and lock stud.

Once you've got the trimmer, you simply buy a specific gage for each caliber.

Chuck it into your power drill and you can trim a lot of brass quickly. A set for one caliber costs about $11.00 and other calibers are about $5.00, depending on the vendor.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old January 17, 2011, 10:27 AM   #4
sc928porsche

Yup. Thats me too, except I use a drill press with the lee.
Old January 17, 2011, 11:29 AM   #5
Hog Buster

I’m not big on Lee products but I have to give them credit on their little case trimmers. They are inexpensive and work fine. I chuck mine in a cordless drill and make quick work of case trimming.
Old January 17, 2011, 11:38 AM   #6
alfack

I used to use the Wilson, but had a difficult time getting the same case length. It gauges from the shoulder and depends somewhat on how hard you insert the casing into the holder. I recently picked up a Giraud and can get my .223 cases within .001, now. It is very much faster, also.
Old January 17, 2011, 11:52 AM   #7
cdoc42

I have used a Lyman electric case trimmer for the past 15 years and I'd never go back to hand trimming or using an eletric drill.
Old January 17, 2011, 12:16 PM   #8
10-96

PawPaw- great post.

I don't care for much Lee stuff either- but those Lee trimmers are the greatest things since sliced bread.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.