The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 8, 2010, 10:41 PM   #1
Bubsy

Carrying a Gun from NYC to a Long Island Pistol Range

I'm a licensed NYC handgun owner with a Residence-Premises permit which allows me to carry any of my 5 licensed pistols to a pistol range for target practice. However, NYC's law states that the pistol range must be in NYC.

However, several reliable sources have told me that once I leave NYC with my pistol(s) federal laws apply. So, if I am going to a pistol range in Bristol Pa (like I occasionally do) a federal law that says I can go from a place where I am legally allowed to to possess the gun (NYC) to another place where I am legally allowed to possess the gun (the pistol range in Pa) there are no laws broken.

I'm wondering if that same law would apply if I am transporting my gun from my place of residence in NYC to a pistol range on Long Island, NY where I am legally allowed to possess the gun? I assume it does, since I've fired my guns at a range on Long Island at Mitchell Field which I believe is currently owned (or previously owned) by the US Military.

bubsy
Old May 8, 2010, 11:09 PM   #2
Don H

FOPA '86 only pertains to the interstate transportation of firearms, not intrastate transportation. The actual law can be found here: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18...6---A000-.html

Quote:
TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 926A
§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
Old May 9, 2010, 09:11 AM   #3
kraigwy

Reading these post are quite entertaining, Its like reading stories from thrid world countries regarding gun rights.

I always found NYC gun laws interesting, and differant. In 68 after I got back from SE Asia I was assigned to a MP Company at Ft Devens Mass. Part of our duties was transporting prisioners to New Jersey. The guy we used to drive the converted military limo, was from "the City", so on the way home he would drop us off at grand central station, buy us a bus ticket to Ft Devens and he would spend the weekend home.

Anyway while waiting for a bus we'd go into a bar and have a beer, Mind you we were in Greens, and had a 1911A1 strapped on, open carry as MPs do.

One time this cop comes in, sets at the bar and orders a beer for himself and offered to buy me one. I got a bit worried, here is a cop, and here is a soldier who is packing, in a bar, in NYC, and limited knowledge of the Sullivan Law.

After a friendly conversation, I asked him about the sullivan law, and why he didnt say anything about my pistol. (I had already told him what I was doing there). He told me that the Sullivan Law exempted soldiers.

Odd, but what ever.

Flash forward several years. I was shooting pistol for the Alaska National Guard at the W.P. Wilson NG Championships. We were squaded next to the NY NG pistol team. Like most NG Pistol teams there are a lot of Cops, fed state and local in the NG. In talking with the cops from NYC and fed cops, I was told that it was illegal for off duty Federal Cops to carry in NYC.

Later I went to the Hazard Device School (Civilian EOD School) at Huntsville AL, with cops from NYC, and the FBI runs the school. They confirmed that Fed cops cant carry off duty in NYC.

So Basicly, (at that time, its changed since HR 218 came into effect) a GI can set in a bar in uniform, packing a Service Pistol, but a FBI agent can't carry off duty.

I never could understand the logic. Like an old Sgt who use to work for me said, "NOTHING IS FUNNIER THEN PEOPLE".

Sorry, didnt mean to hijack the thread, just comenting on silly NYC laws.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 9, 2010, 08:40 PM   #4
Bubsy

kraigwy

you didn't hijack the thread. You pretty much showed what we NYC pistol permit owners have to go through. I purchased most of my guns from a dealer in Nassau County, Long Island outside of NYC. Can I even legally take possession of a handgun outside of NYC with an NYC permit? It doesn't seem to be anywhere in writing.

Don H

From what you've said, my transporting my gun to a pistol range in Pa for target practice is legal. As for my transporting my gun to Nassau County, I would think I would be under Nassau County's handgun rules once I cross into their county, so I need to learn what they are. Fortunately, my gun dealer is in Nassau county so he should be able to explain the rules to me.

bubsy
Old May 9, 2010, 11:55 PM   #5
Glenn Dee

Yes you can take your NYC permited handguns to Salsbury park. (formerly mitchel field), or out to the range on route 110 in farmingdale. I believe that both Nassau, and Solfolk counties recognize NYC target permits. The problems arise when it comes to carry permits. If you have any questions... Call the pistol permit section...(good luck getting a coherent answer) or call the range.

As per NYPD permit rules you must carry the firearm(s) unloaded in a locked hard side container, with the ammo seperately. I believe the rule is that you may attend any legal shooting range within the city of NY.

Members of the United States Military while in uniform are exempt from the penal law weapons section.

The CPLR of the state of NY enumerates who may be armed, and under what circumstance. Under the CPLR there are several levels of police powers. The highest being a state trooper, and the least being some peace officers. The city of NY is subordinate to the federal government, and has no jurisdiction over any federal agents or federal police.

All police officers are exempt from the P.L. firearms restrictions. Some peace officers are exempt from the P.L. firearms restrictions. Under the CPLR, and the Penal law... Police officer, and Peace Officer has meaning beyond the generic term.

Unless things have changed drastically in the last few years.... Blumeberg ya know.

Glenn

Old May 10, 2010, 12:10 AM   #6
kraigwy

Quote:
Unless things have changed drastically in the last few years....
Yes things have changed, its called HR 218, "The Law Enforcement Officer's Safety Act"
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 10, 2010, 08:25 AM   #7
Glenn Dee

Kraigway... Being a retired police officer myself I am intimately familiar with HR218. But guess what?.. The peoples republic of NYC makes evey attempt to ignore the federal law. And your right... things have changed on a federal level.

All we have to do now is get king blumberg to recognize it.But then NYC probably has one of the worst records on civil rights in the entire country. :barf:

I concede ... Things may be better for some police in NYC as far as carrying...But it was never that bad... for police.
Old May 19, 2010, 03:33 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

A basic question;

For a private citizen, with a NYC permit, is the permit valid in the rest of NY State? I know that a NY State permit is NOT valid in NYC.

If the NYC permit is good (recognised) in the rest of NYS (or at least in the county you are going to), then I think you would be fine. But, if not, then you would have to meet what ever the local requirements are.

As to taking the gun to PA for target practice, if you meet the PA legal requirements, then the Federal FOPA protects you during transport.
Old May 19, 2010, 05:18 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

What you have there is a restricted permit that applies in the entire state of NY. You are allowed to take the firearm to any final destination in NY that you are allowed to possess the gun, like a firing range, or anywhere else in any state where you are allowed to possess the gun at the final destination.
Old November 19, 2010, 04:42 AM   #10
carbineguy

I called our local sheriffs office then asked a dealer in NY and PA where I also go shooting and got the same response if i'm licensed here and it's legal there i'm good as long as it's transported properly.
Old November 20, 2010, 08:07 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Just to pick nits: The original post referred to "carrying" the firearm from NYC to a range. To keep everyone on the same page, "carry" typically refers to wearing the pistol somewhere on your person, either in a holster or in a pocket (or stuck in your belt, Plaxico Burress style). Transporting an unloaded firearm, in a case in the trunk of your car, is referred to as "transporting," not "carrying."

"Transport" is the term used in the Federal FOPA.
Old November 20, 2010, 09:16 PM   #12
geetarman

Sure makes me appreciate Arizona. I shoot at an indoor range 3 times a week and at an outdoor range once or twice a week.

When I go to the outdoor range I may take an M1A, Rem 700P and an AR as well as 2 handguns(or more). All this stuff and a couple of ammo cans in the back of my truck and a dozen Dunkin Donuts for the Range Master.

Life is GOOD!!!!!

Geetarman