The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 7, 2012, 09:47 PM   #26
tripe1917

I appreciate the information. FedEx costs are prohibitive when shipping anything with a trigger on it. UPS told me they will not ship any that fits their definition of a firearm. I think I will contact the IG to get their official response. Thanks
Old August 8, 2012, 06:55 AM   #27
mykeal

You won't get an answer to that question from the Inspector General. His job is to investigate compliance with regulations, not interpret them for the general public. In other words, he responds to complaint forms only.

The answer to your question is in the Post Office regulations manual. You need to assert on the claim form that a specific individual, by name, did violate a given paragraph in that manual on a specific data at a specific time.

They don't make it easy.

The definition of an antique firearm is in the Domestic Mail Manual (DMM) 601 Section 12 paragraph 12.1.1 g:
Quote:
Antique firearm means any firearm (including those with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898, or any replica thereof, if such replica:

1. Is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition.

2. Uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and that is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
The mailability of antique firearms is proscribed in DMM 601 Section 12 paragraph 12.2:
Quote:
Antique Firearms

Antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces may be accepted for mailing without regard to 12.1.3 through 12.1.6.
(The referenced paragraphs 12.1.3 through 12.1.6 describe conditions under which certain authorized persons may mail otherwise prohibited guns).

Postal Service employees may not ask a customer what is in the package. The only question they are allowed to ask is whether the package contains anything that is hazardous, perishable or restricted. An antique firearm is considered a restricted item, so if asked that question you must answer yes. However, that's all you need to do. They still cannot ask specifically what the restricted material is. Your answer to the question tells them how to route the item (air transportation, for instance, is not allowed for restricted items) but that's all they need to know.

Last edited by mykeal; August 8, 2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old August 8, 2012, 09:51 AM   #28
Sure Shot Mc Gee

There are rules and Laws concerning all things shipped by air sea and land. Most are so entertwined with each other that no one person can make sense of it all. You just experienced some of that confusion in your area. Don't bother yourself in trying to debate a UPS agents interpretation of his company's rule. Doing so only increases frustration on both sides of the phone. Side step the issue and find another carrier to use. Hanging onto the anxiety this UPS situation has caused isn't worth your time or energy. As they say on the East coast "For~get about it"
Old August 8, 2012, 11:23 AM   #29
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykeal
The only question they are allowed to ask is whether the package contains anything that is hazardous, perishable or restricted. An antique firearm is considered a restricted item, so if asked that question you must answer yes.
I do not believe you are correct Mykeal. When I mail a package - containing a BP revolver or anything else - the clerk asks "Are the contents flammable, explosive, fragile, perishable or hazardous ?" A C&B revolver falls under none of those categories, so my answer is always 'NO'.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Last edited by Fingers McGee; August 9, 2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old August 8, 2012, 11:39 AM   #30
mykeal

Fingers - you are correct. I pulled that up from an old thread and forgot to change it. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old August 8, 2012, 07:26 PM   #31
tripe1917

Thanks for the clarification everyone. I will be better prepared next time.