The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old August 22, 2011, 02:30 AM   #1
blackhole

Need a loader

I'd like to get a progressive reloader for 9mm. It doesn't need to do other calibers, but if it can do .223 for the same price - great.

I absolutely do Not want a single-stage. It requires way too much involvement.

Anyway, is this one good?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/40358-1.html#Reviews

Also, what will it cost to get one that also loads the bullets for me?

Thanks!!
Old August 22, 2011, 02:54 AM   #2
warnerwh

You'll find if you do a Google that that press takes some tinkering to get it going. If you're mechanically inclined go for it. If you're a beginner I'd get the Lee Classic Turret which you can see exactly what is going on. I'd recommend using it as a single stage for a while. You can do an easy 150 rounds per hour. The Pro 1000 some people can keep it running good but many have trouble with it.
Old August 22, 2011, 03:51 AM   #3
blackhole

Hey warner,

Thanks for the info.

I really don't want a turret either, too much involvement. What's the cheapest, good progressive?
Old August 22, 2011, 11:09 AM   #4
mikld

Don't understand what you mean by "involvement". Even with a full progressive, you'll need other equipment/tools (scale, measuring tools, brass cleaning equip., for .223 a trimmer and primer pocket tools, trays/boxes, etc.) and manuals (at least 2) to reload safely. And you'll have to learn how to use all the equipment and read loading data. Also a lot to learn about bullets (lead, plated, or jacketed, shape and weight), powder (burning speed, ball, flake, preformance of each), primers (mag. vs std., rifle, pistol, military, crimped primers, and compatibility with powders), and brass (best for longevity, internal capacity, boxer vs berdan primed). If you don't really want to get this involved to reload but want a lot of ammo, search for bulk buys on cheap factory stuff...

Last edited by mikld; August 22, 2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old August 22, 2011, 11:16 AM   #5
Clifford L. Hughes

Blackhole:

The Dillon Square Deal B is an awesome press for pistol calibers and I think that it will handle 223 also.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC retired
Old August 22, 2011, 11:19 AM   #6
serf 'rett

Got to be said by someone, “Cheapest” and “good” are generally diametrically opposite of each other. Unless you are an experienced reloader, I would think there would be far more “involvement;” i.e., multiple operations to be checked with a progressive. Get the cheapest and you'll need to plan on more involvement in keeping everything running correctly, getting a good press will eliminate the continual adjustment needed for a cheap press.

The previous poster, who recommended the Lee Classic Turret, didn’t mention it has an auto advance feature and can be used in a semi-progressive mode; i.e., you’ll need to feed cases and bullets and operate the priming gizmo, but it would be hard to beat for an economy starter press. You can buy an extra turret set up for .223 loading.

To get a progressive with bullet feeder, I suspect you’re needing to look at presses such as Hornady Lock-N-Load or Dillon 550 or 650 or RCBS Pro2000 with optional bullet feeders (if offered), but with these presses you’re no longer in the land of Cheap.

Last edited by serf 'rett; August 22, 2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old August 22, 2011, 11:23 AM   #7
Ronbert

Sorry Gunny - you're mistaken about .223 on the SDB.

The SDB doesn't do rifle calibers.
It also requires that you use Dillon dies as standard ones don't fit.

But Dillon makes great products and has excellent service.

Just need to check the specs before committing to any solution.
Old August 22, 2011, 01:16 PM   #8
snuffy

Quote:
I'd like to get a progressive reloader for 9mm. It doesn't need to do other calibers, but if it can do .223 for the same price - great.

I absolutely do Not want a single-stage. It requires way too much involvement.

Anyway, is this one good?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/40358-1.html#Reviews

Thanks!!
You sir are a prime example of someone who shouldNOT become a reloader.

Buy your shells, leave the brass lay for those of us that want to take the time to do it right. OR if you really want to, save the brass for soemone you know that DOES embrace the "involvement".

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 22, 2011, 01:36 PM   #9
Superdave70_02

I think you may have the wrong idea of the operations involved in reloading. A good start might be to find someone local who has both single stage and progressive and ask them to show you the ropes.
Old August 22, 2011, 02:40 PM   #10
hatecrew2006

I'm glad I am not the only one who would be concerned about the most basic operations of reloading.

I have a lee single stage press, for which I am loading 30-06 and ..223. I have just started to reload in the last 1 year or so and I still don't know all there is to know about the process so I do 1 operation 1 at a time check check and check again. whilst a progressive may be faster for .223 I still wouldn't be buying one for my first press.
Old August 22, 2011, 03:00 PM   #11
oneounceload

If the OP thinks there is less going on while working a progressive versus a single stage, he really needs to read the stickies, etc. at the top of the forum. There are more things that can go wrong undetected by a new person working a progressive.
Old August 22, 2011, 03:20 PM   #12
howlnmad

Aw hale, just go with the Dillon 1050. It does everything but pull the trigger for ya. Oh wait... you said cheap too. On second thought, go with the advise snuffy gave.
Old August 22, 2011, 03:43 PM   #13
BigJimP

I think buying a progressive machine is fine for a beginner .../ but yes, any loader needs to understand each and every step on their press. But I don't blame this poster for saying he doesn't want a single stage ...and if he approaches this part of the hobby correctly - a progressive press for a beginner is not a problem.

Dillon SDB is a good press ( but it uses a proprietary sized die that is unique to that press vs industry standard dies) .... the Dillon 650 is a better press ( primarily because it has a "powder check" option ) ...so you run way less potential for a squib or an overcharged round. Dillon 650 uses standard industry sized dies.

Dillon 650 will handle 9mm and .223 ...and do both, very very well - in my opinion.

Hornady LNL is another good press - roughly equivalent to the Dillon 650.
Old August 22, 2011, 03:58 PM   #14
blackhole

To those wondering what I mean by involvement.. I mean the single stage for example, requires "a lot" of hand work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Jdd-syqN8

Put the shell on, press, take it off.. Three operations for one stage. Then when the batch is done with that stage, you have to change out the piece on the reloader to do a different operation.

Seems be be about 4x the hand work. And more if I compare to one with a case/bullet feeder.

Now Snuffy, I have basically carpal tunnel, I can't do that and get very far. So go away with your elitist attitude and others can teach me to do it safely.

And howln, I said "cheapest" not "cheap." i.e. Hornady is cheaper than Dillon.

To everyone, I was looking at the LnL.. Looks very nice, good price, 5 stations, and I can upgrade it later with bullet / case feeder. Seems I can even create my own case feeder. It can do rifle when I get to that point, too.

Thanks for you help!

Last edited by blackhole; August 22, 2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old August 22, 2011, 04:35 PM   #15
howlnmad

I have nothing against people starting out with progressive presses. What got me was, the tone of your first post just seemed like you want a press that you can just sit there and pull a lever and produce perfect, flawless ammo everytime. It'd be nice if it worked that way. I know all about carpal tunnel, I have it in both arms but I still manage. Sure I use a lot of power prepping devices but hey, that's what they're made for.
Sorry if your feathers got ruffled but it's all about safe reliable ammo.
Old August 22, 2011, 04:38 PM   #16
blackhole

I just need to be told how to use it safely.

I think I'm going to save for that. Probably be back in a couple months.

Good day gentlemen.
Old August 22, 2011, 04:51 PM   #17
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Hornady LNL AP is a nice press. Carpel tunnel or not, it is wise to start with a single stage JUST to learn the functions of each die. You will make mistakes, and it is much easier to see your mistakes and fix your mistakes when on a single stage.

My 2 cents to you:

Buy a Lee classic cast single stage press. This is a SOLID press that will load ammunition for many generations after you and I are long gone. Learn how to set up each die and familiarize yourself with the reloading process.

Then, go buy a progressive. I am partial to the Hornady. You will find that with the knowledge you learned using the single stage will help you IMMENSELY when setting up/learning how to use the progressive.

The best part of this is that you have a press to load precision rifle ammunition on (the Lee Classic Cast) and you have a press for high volume pistol and rifle ammunition (progressive).

Did somebody rattle Snuffy's cage?!

BTW, I will stick up for Snuffy. He is one good dude and I would be happy with half of his knowledge. I can understand where he is coming from (I think). Your original post sounded like you want to plunge into reloading half-heartedly. I won't speak for everyone, but I will speak for most (I think): We take reloading very seriously because it is just that-SERIOUS. If you are not 100% in the ballgame, you can easily hurt yourself and /or others.

So, take some time, do some research, and utilize the search button on the tool bar for questions you may have. Chances are they have been asked hundreds of times already!

Good luck!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old August 22, 2011, 06:47 PM   #18
serf 'rett

I would highly recommend reading up on reloading if you haven't already. Sticky notes at top of page, ABCs of Reloading book and at least one other reloading manual - Lyman 49th Edition, Speer, Lee, etc.. This homework should help you to refine your understanding and help you choose the equipment best suited for you.

I don't think Snuffy's being elitist, just trying to protect you and protect us at the range (I don't want to stand beside someone who reloads in a haphazard manner). It’s a pleasure to shoot with other reloaders, those who take their time to make high quality ammo; however, a get-er-done-quickly, progressive machine handle yanker scares the bejeebers out of me.

Nothing wrong with starting out with a progressive press, as long as the reloader understands the process, adjusts everything correctly, checks that adjustments are maintained and carefully monitors the loading. There are a large number of details in reloading and being precise is paramount.
Old August 22, 2011, 07:00 PM   #19
snuffy

Quote:
Now Snuffy, I have basically carpal tunnel, I can't do that and get very far. So go away with your elitist attitude and others can teach me to do it safely.
Quote:
Did somebody rattle Snuffy's cage?!

BTW, I will stick up for Snuffy. He is one good dude and I would be happy with half of his knowledge. I can understand where he is coming from (I think). Your original post sounded like you want to plunge into reloading half-halfheartedly. I won't speak for everyone, but I will speak for most (I think): We take reloading very seriously because it is just that-SERIOUS. If you are not 100% in the ballgame, you can easily hurt yourself and /or others.
Thanks for the cudo's ICH, but I'll put the brakes on anybody that seems to be approaching reloading with a nonchalant attitude. I said seems to be. If I errored, then I withdraw the caution I felt.

I agree wholeheartedly that anybody should learn on a single stage press. Learn to walk before trying to run. That's how I learned, long before online forums. Several loading manuals and a brother with a lee whack-a-mole loader for 8mm Mauser.

The lee pro 1000 is the absolute bottom of the pecking order for progressive loaders. It only has room for 3 dies, so a powder check is not an option for handgun loads.

Quote:
If by that you mean a bullet feeder, then that's available for certain lee progressives. There's also some made for dillon and the LNL, but most cost as much as the loader itself!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 22, 2011, 08:25 PM   #20
oneounceload

Quote:
I just need to be told how to use it safely.
Then you need to be going to the press makers and not anonymous folks on the net. If you expect someone to just say this is how it's done and you don't have to do research and reading, you are mistaken and heading for a dangerous situation
Old August 23, 2011, 07:08 AM   #21
Shootest

Quote:
If you have carpal tunnel, why in the world would want to be shooting a handgun? If you can’t reload on a single stage you should not be shooting either.
Old August 23, 2011, 01:56 PM   #22
jagwire

I agree with superdave's post. If you could get together with someone you know who reloads and have them show you the reloading process you will be miles ahead. And by all means read a loading manual or two cover to cover before attempting. Reloading can be perfectly safe if you pay attention but it can be very unsafe if you don't. But first you need to know what to pay attention to.
Old August 23, 2011, 04:05 PM   #23
blackhole

Kiss my butt.

I hate that people think they can tell you what to do with your disability. Who are you to tell me I shouldn't be shooting?

I appreciate the people that helped me (many of you), but the thread crapping is terrible, hardly noob friendly.

Quote:
If you have carpal tunnel, why in the world would want to be shooting a handgun? If you can’t reload on a single stage you should not be shooting either.

Last edited by blackhole; August 23, 2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old August 23, 2011, 05:29 PM   #24
snuffy

Quote:
Kiss my butt.
Hardly a way to enamor yourself with people, to get them to help you. You're officially on my ignore list!

Old August 23, 2011, 08:37 PM   #25
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Not an attitude to engender oneself with 99% of the members of TFL.

Closed, as the OP will not be back.
Closed Thread