The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 16, 2009, 09:13 PM   #1
therealtwitch

remington 870 questions

Today my father gave me a new remington 870 express shotgun for HD. well I bought a tacstar side saddle shot shell carrier. with the carrier installed I couldn't not rack the slide with the stock for grip; and the only other forgrip in the house was pistol style for grip. so we put that on. once we did that we fugured WTH and put on a pistol grip instear of a stock. and I really like it. but the barrel is really long of home defence(28"). So I would like to get a shorter barrel for HD. But as this is my first shot gun I am at a loss as to where to start. What is a good length? and where can I buy a shorter barrel.

I am gonna get a short barrel for HD and a new stock and for grip to use with the stock barrel for hunting. So any opinions and pictures of you HD shotguns would be greatly apreciated.
Old May 16, 2009, 09:23 PM   #2
Steamboatsig

I went with a Mossberg 18.5" from MidwayUsa for $119. Don't get confused, the barrel is made for the Remington 870, but manufactured by Mossberg. Make sense?

18.5" to 20" should fit your HD needs.

There are a lot of options for HD stocks.
Remington Youth Stock (shorter for more manuverability)
Speedfeed with or without pistol grip
Knoxx Recoil Reducing Stock etc.

Oh, and with respect to pistol grip only stocks, stay away from that. Outside of Hollywood or breaching doors, they are worthless.
Old May 16, 2009, 09:34 PM   #3
therealtwitch

I shot it today with the pistol only stock. I put it on there because the only for grip I had that would fit was a pistol style. so it just felt better with pistol only rear stock. both will be replaced in the near future.
Old May 17, 2009, 01:36 PM   #4
Chad

Here are some pictures of my HD shotguns...scattered around the house...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shottys.jpg (48.9 KB, 123 views)
Old May 17, 2009, 03:01 PM   #5
stargazer65

+10 Steamboatsig. Probably just about everyone will agree with his assessment, and maybe add a couple of their own preferences.

Hi Chad. Welcome to TFL. That's some perty tacticool stuff you got!
Old May 17, 2009, 03:38 PM   #6
Scattergun Bob

therealtwitch

Congrand on the getting a 870

It is common to have this problem with the longer sporting forends, they are long for the comfort of hand placement but interfere with many sidesaddle arrangements.

When you grow out of the front forend, the fix is to obtain a Law Enforcement style (short) forend. Many different manufactures make then, Speedfeed is one of my favorites.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old May 17, 2009, 07:27 PM   #7
Edward429451

You can pick up a shorter 'corncob style' fore grip that will clear the 6 rnd sidesaddle for ~20 bucks.

I just cut my wood forearm and refinished it to work on my (gasp) WM. You used to be able to find `18" police trade in barrels for it. I found one for 50 bucks but has been awhile.

Be careful to size the mag tube extension carefully after you have the shorter barrel.
Old May 17, 2009, 08:32 PM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Nice gun. Nowgoshoottheheckoutofit.....
Old May 17, 2009, 09:41 PM   #9
therealtwitch

I am going to get the mosberg 18.5" barrel. with a barrel this short what is the longest mag extention I can get for it?
Old May 17, 2009, 11:50 PM   #10
ATANRA

Be careful with short grip and short barrel . From Wikipedia-
Shotguns intended for defensive use have barrels as short as 18 inches (46 cm) for private use (the minimum shotgun barrel length allowed by law in the United States without special permits). Barrel lengths of less than 18 inches (46 cm) as measured from the breechface to the muzzle when the weapon is in battery with its action closed and ready to fire, or have an overall length of less than 26 inches (66 cm) are classified as short barreled shotguns ("sawn-off shotguns") under the 1934 National Firearms Act and are heavily regulated.
Old May 18, 2009, 08:05 AM   #11
Chad

Thanks stargazer! I've been a lurker here for a while, finally joined
Old May 18, 2009, 05:11 PM   #12
Naterstein

Yeah Ive seen the "police or tactical" style wood stock set on GB for about $30.