The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 14, 2006, 08:25 PM   #1
Clayfish

mmm... quail and rice

I just finished a perfect day with a nice plate of quail and rice. Three of us quail hunted all day and got 24. Boy did that dog look good all day. On the ride home she was already out. Anybody else quail hunt here?
Old January 15, 2006, 01:16 AM   #2
Hello123

As a kid, it was the game of choice. I loved to tag along with my uncle who had the parker shotgun and fancy clothes. I was just a string bean kid with a .410 and blue jeans. Occasionally, I would hit one with the .410 Model 37A Winchester single shot. When I moved up to a 12 gauge, I felt like I had a cannon that would straight flatten a quail. Good memories. I used to love to see those German shorthairs prove their athleticism. We would hunt all morning rotating dogs.
Old January 15, 2006, 07:26 PM   #3
Dave R

When I hunt upland game in the few spots near Boise, I get a mixed bag of dove, quail and Hungarian Partridge. Quail are DEFINITELY the best eating. By a wide margin. I'm jealous of your Quail and rice...