The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 23, 2014, 07:31 PM   #1
www_godzilla

What Bullet brand and grain for my NEW Browning BAR Safari Mark II 30-06 ?

I just bought my new Browning BAR. Ive read that there is a process to find the best bullet for what you are using it for. I will be using it for deer hunting in Maine. Quite honestly most shots will be in 65 yards or less and in cold conditions. The terrain is also full of raspberry whips in clear cuts. I want a round that will cycle flawlessly in my Browning. I also want a round that will be accurate and stop that big buck. Thank you everyone
Old November 23, 2014, 11:35 PM   #2
kilimanjaro

I've used Remington 180-grain soft points in mine without a problem. Burn a half box to check for any feeding issue, but shouldn't be one.

Congratulations on your new heirloom Browning.
Old November 26, 2014, 04:05 PM   #3
btmj

It should feed any reasonable factory ammo. For deer, I would go with 150 grain, which will easilly punch through both sides of a deer broadside. Any heavier is just more bullet drop and more recoil. Save the 180s for elk.
Old November 26, 2014, 07:47 PM   #4
jmr40

Anything from 125-220 gr will do the job in question. It doesn't take a lot to kill a whitetail. Even the big ones. You really don't NEED anything heavier than 150 gr. The bullets construction plays a more important part than weight when it comes to penetration on bigger stuff. But if YOUR gun shoots heavier bullets better then use them. The difference in long range trajectory between 150's and 180's is a lot less than you'd think. About 4" at 500 yards.

If I were limited to 1 bullet weight in any .30 caliber it would be the 165/168 gr bullets. Not excessively heavy for deer, and if the tougher bullets are used plenty for anything in N America but the big bear in Alaska.