The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 24, 2001, 09:19 AM   #1
shawn

I am looking to buy a semi-auto shot gun that I could use for limited 3 gun, sheet and trap. No hunting and no defense.

I think the new IPSC "Limited" limit is 8. I do not know much about skeet or trap. This will be my first shotgun purchase.

I am a lefty, if that make a difference.

S-
Shawn

Old April 24, 2001, 11:40 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Some southpaws shoot RH auto guns very well, others have problems with the hull zipping past their faces. I suggest trying a couple and seeing how it affects you.

Been a while since I did 3 gun. Back then the auto of choice was the Remington 1100.

Lots of 1100s on the trap and skeet fields. You may want to set up an auto with both a longer bbl for clay games and a shorter one for the practical courses.

Or,get a 26" bbled version, throw on a mag extension, and see how you do on clays with it.

Another choice would be a recent Beretta gas gun. Dunno about the extensions,tho.
Old April 24, 2001, 06:38 PM   #3
dick w. holliday

i shoot 3 gun open class so the skys the limit with add ons but i'm pretty sure that i heard a buddy say that limited is limited to 10 plus one in chamber....but i personally prefer my 15+1...i've got a long one...Dick.... also forgot to say that i'm a lefty also and 1100 works just fine...you should get an ambi safety for your AR however