The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 26, 2012, 08:55 PM   #1
Djmudge

Load data manuals

I have another thread going and notice someone had other load data lower than mine in the lee book is. Picked up a Lyman Friday and most of the load data is lower on some and oal and diameters are lower. Who do you follow when it comes to load data?
Old November 26, 2012, 11:44 PM   #2
mrawesome22

I like the Lyman Thursday.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
Old November 27, 2012, 07:01 AM   #3
Bart B.

Djmudge, rarely, if at all, does everyone use the same lot of powder, primer, case and barrel with the same pressure and velocity measuring stuff to test a given load. Until that happens, there'll be at least a 5% spread in load data; sometimes a 10% spread.
Old November 27, 2012, 08:34 AM   #4
Gbro

Many component manufactures build there own "Recipe" book for their bullets, like Hornady, Speer, Nozler etc.
These manuals list their test equipment like Bart point's out.
Your equipment may not be just like theirs and that is why we all start a load that is at a low end of the recipe and test fire watching for signs of High Pressure, and of course how well they group.
If we try out a new fangled bullet that is of a different weight and shape and it's not in our manual we may look in another and find one very close. Then starting at a low end and work up.
There are also resources here on the web and that is good but your good manual's are just so important for reference. So is this Forum!
Old November 27, 2012, 09:08 AM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The safest thing to do is check at least 3 official sources, start at the lowest starting load and work up to the lowest max. In the real world, most folks work toward the highest max.

Load manuals are for reference only. You might run into a starting load that is actually max in your gun with your components. This should be rare but it does happen. You might also find max loads that are below starting loads in another book, this is actually not all that rare.

The Lyman 49th, on page 57, shows that changing nothing but primers in a .308Win load can make a difference of 2,600psi. That's about 5%, all by itself. Considering that every component you use is different than theirs, it's quite understandable that different manuals have different suggestions.
Old November 27, 2012, 09:30 AM   #6
reloader28

I follow my gun only.
The book is a basic, general starting point, nothing more.
You have to go by YOUR gun to get the best performance.
Old November 27, 2012, 09:40 AM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

reloader28 said:
Quote:
I follow my gun only.
The book is a basic, general starting point, nothing more.
You have to go by YOUR gun to get the best performance.
Couldn't have been said any better. I agree 110%
Old November 27, 2012, 09:54 AM   #8
wogpotter

As others have said its the variation in components & equipment that you're seeing. Sometimes it can be quite large.

My usual advice is to look a little deeper than just the load tables. There is usually some kind of preface or intro to the load. I look at this first & allopcate a priority from several manuals, giving preference for the closest match for components & equipment to what I'm actually loading.

AS an example I was working up some loads for a 6" revolver. One of the sources had highger velocities than any of the others, looking at the equipment used it had a 10" pressure barrel in a universal reciever. I ignored that data.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old November 27, 2012, 10:48 AM   #9
serf 'rett

Manuals.

In the words of Capt. Barbossa: "...And thirdly, the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner."

Last edited by serf 'rett; November 27, 2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old November 27, 2012, 11:19 AM   #10
jmortimer

I start with powder manufacturer data. It's all online and easy to get. Next would be bullet manufacturer data if available and I need more info. Last would be the manuals. I work form the middle up or down depending.
Old November 27, 2012, 11:40 AM   #11
William T. Watts

Bart B covered it pretty well, when opening/starting with a new lot number of the same number powder I begin at the starting load. Many years ago I found the starting load for H4895 to be a more than max load in my 30/06, rare, but it does happen. I should have added this disclaimer "I no longer purchase 1lb canisters unless I purchase multiply cans (4 or more cans) of the same lot, I now purchase 8lb jugs of the more common #'s such as H4831, IMR4064, IMR4895 etc. William

Last edited by William T. Watts; November 29, 2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old November 27, 2012, 03:36 PM   #12
DASHZNT

For OAL I use my barrel... I start at the manual's OAL and go down from there depending on what my barrel likes. Thats the best part of reloading, you can make custom ammo tailor made for your weapon!

DASHZNT
Old November 27, 2012, 03:43 PM   #13
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I start at the manual's OAL and go down from there depending on what my barrel likes.
I load almost all my ammo LONGER than book length. Book numbers ensure that ammo fits in standard magazines but you can almost always go longer (at least a little) and still fit a magazine and many times there is no magazine to fit. In most cases, longer ammo (bullet closer to rifling) shoots more accurately than shorter ammo.

The only bullets that I load shorter than book are Barnes TTSX as their unique shape puts them closer to the rifling at a shorter OAL than most other bullets.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; November 27, 2012 at 11:03 PM. Reason: spellcheck
Old November 27, 2012, 06:57 PM   #14
Gbro

Quote:
when opening/starting with a new lot number of the same number powder I begin at the starting load. Many years ago I found the starting load for H4895 to be a more than max load in my 30/06, rare, but it does happen. William
And that is why i buy my powder in 8lbs canisters for most of my favorite loads. And if not that can of powder is for one firearm.
Old November 27, 2012, 08:18 PM   #15
reloader28

I agree on the OAL.
I guess I've always considered the book OAL as the minimum. My loads are always longer. Sometimes WAY longer.