The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 4, 2001, 12:06 PM   #1
DanLX

Advice on "support" equipment for Scattergun Tech shotgun.

Recently purchased a combat style shotgun (based on Remington 870 pump) from Scattergun Technologies with an 18" barrel, primarily for home defence. Plan on acquiring a 26" barrel to interchange with the existing barrel when I occasionally go hunting / trap shooting.

Please provide recommendations (or locations of previous threads or web pages) on what specific product or brand I should purchase for the following "support" equipment. My searches on this forum where unsuccessful (is there a knowledge base on this forum?). I am able to afford somewhat more expensive equipment if it is really worth it.

A. Rigid case with pick proof lock (assuming that rigid is better than a soft case)? I assume it should also pass federal transportation rules?

B. Cleaning kit. Friend at work suggested a very rigid cleaning rod for a shotgun, but nothing more specific. Hopefully this kit would include all the necessary patches, brushes and fluids. Willing to buy seperates to make up a kit, if required. All ready have a Tuf-Cloth for my knives.

C. Hearing protection (for occasional trap shooting).

Thanks for your consideration.
Old July 5, 2001, 02:43 PM   #2
Monkeyleg

DanLX, do you need a case with a "pick proof" lock that passes some federal rules because you're going to be travelling with the shotgun? If so, Pelican makes some good but pricey aluminum travel cases. There's other manufacturers of course; that name just comes to mind immediately. If you're not travelling, I don't see why you need to spend the $$$. After all, you just plunked down a lot of dough for a Scattergun Tech model. Check out the thread on gun cases over on "The Art of The Rifle" forum.

As for cleaning kits, Hoppes and others sell complete kits. But you can just as easily make your own: a good cleaning rod, a 12 gauge bronze bristle brush, some cleaning patches (I prefer to use the blue paper shop towels that come on a roll from the hardware store as they're cheaper); an old toothbrush; a bottle of Hoppes #9 or similar bore cleaner and a bottle of gun oil.

I don't shoot trap, but I see a lot of trap shooters who just use foam earplugs. Hearing is irreplaceable, though, so you might look at a good pair of shooting muffs. Silencio makes good and reasonably priced ones but, again, there's a lot of other manufacturers as well. Most run about $30, but if you want to spend more you can get electronic muffs that allow you to better hear range commands. Silencio makes a pair that run about $120 or so.

Good luck.