The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 14, 2013, 09:33 AM   #26
micromontenegro

Thanks again for all your kind responses.

Kcub, I did mail him, thanks a lot for the address.

Winchester, thanks a lot for mentioning Jay Scott. I think that is the closest I have gotten- in fact, already found a pair so similar that I am going to get them as a meanwhile solution

Still, I am going to mail Herrett the pic and ask them- they could be Troopers
with a lot of custom features. I think they are too coarse to be Farrants.

The hunt is always fun
Old February 15, 2013, 01:14 AM   #27
ScottRiqui

Quote:
...but don't you understand, its because Packard automobiles were so refined, perfect, and high quality, that Packard couldn't afford to make them, because on the open market, no one wants the best, but they sold a lot because everyone knew they were the best, but then they couldn't sell enough, because the demand was so high, they couldn't make enough and then because they wanted to make them all hand fitted and perfect, that the production cost was so high, that no one could afford them anymore even though everyone knew they were the best. Since they were the best, and the best cost money, and no one likes the best, Packard had to cease making automobiles. But today, today we know the truth, and by golly, they're the best damn automobile ever made, and Chevrolet is just a wannabee Packard! Chevrolet is only around because they couldn't make a car as good as the Packard. That's why they survived, because their product and company were second fiddle. Its easy to understand
That was actually pretty funny. Parts of it reminded me of the Yogi Berra quote "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."
Old February 15, 2013, 09:47 AM   #28
micromontenegro

Surprise surprise, my mystery stocks seem to actually be very early Hogues. Good luck finding those. I guess I'll have to make my own.
Old February 16, 2013, 08:51 AM   #29
Winchester_73

So the mystery is solved. Maybe you will find a pair on ebay.

out of curiosity, how hard is it to get a good quality DA revolver in Venezuela?
I've always wondered what prices they brought, and how they get there. Whats the gun market like down there?

Last edited by Winchester_73; February 16, 2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old February 16, 2013, 09:38 AM   #30
micromontenegro

Quote:
Whats the gun market like down there?
In a word, strange. Good times (money wise) from the 40's until the 80's left a world of relatively interesting revolvers floating around. Pythons, Diamondbacks and Masterpieces are specially plentiful, and not expensive. On the other hand, the tropical climate has taken a heavy toll on many of them.

In the late nineties, as Venezuelan politics turned a somewhat carmine hue, things changed radically. Importation dwindled, and all you can buy new today is Taurus. And in fact, you can't buy anything new today, as there is a one year moratorium in the sale of firearms which is thankfully nearing its end.

Prices of handguns is about double of what they would cost in the USA, with two excpetions: old fine guns are cheaper here (a fine but not mint Python, M29, or M27 can be had for about $700; my not-that-bad M30 from 1959 was about $150), and Glocks, that are insanely expensive (about $1,500 for just about any model,used)

Last edited by micromontenegro; February 16, 2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old February 16, 2013, 03:54 PM   #31
WillyKern69

Once you get bitten by the snake, you become one with the snake.

WK
Old February 19, 2013, 01:48 AM   #32
Jeff #111

micromontenegro

Quote:
Glocks, that are insanely expensive (about $1,500 for just about any model,used)
Good grief!

I own two Glocks. Just think I have close to $3,000. Well if I was in Venezuela that is. That is incredible though. So is that an indication that Glock is very popular, very hard to get or both?
Old February 19, 2013, 06:33 AM   #33
micromontenegro

Very, very popular. Not that hard to get.
Old February 19, 2013, 07:51 PM   #34
Jeff #111

Very interesting. Got to be careful about getting off topic though. After all this is the Revolver Forum. But I always find it interesting to learn about differences in other nations. For example I have German friends (in Germany) who find it very amusing that the model Hedi Klum is so popular in the U.S.Don't really know if she isn't very popular in her native country or what. I know Heidi Klum isn't a firearm, but I'm sure you understand what I'm saying. There are differences.