The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

View Poll Results: Do you ever take your revolvers apart?
I have never taken a revolver apart, and would not. 23 12.99%
I have not, but would if I had to. 39 22.03%
I have, but don't like to for fear of losing/breaking something. 39 22.03%
I do, for every new revolver purchase. 41 23.16%
I can take apart and reassemble my revolvers blindfolded. 35 19.77%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 30, 2012, 11:50 PM   #76
KevininPa

I have .....

.......a Ruger Speed Six and a Security Six. Those were made to be taken apart on occasion for full cleanings. Very modular design. It's my understanding that the GP and SP series are made the same way.
Old December 2, 2012, 02:23 AM   #77
BIG P

NOPE not today,tomorro dont look either
Old December 13, 2012, 10:00 AM   #78
Viper225

I checked the next to the bottom answer, however the one added later option fit me better also. I cannot take a S&W apart and put it back together blindfolded. I have no problem taking one apart and putting it back together wearing my glasses however.

My last one apart was a New 686-5. My new SSR Gun for our Outlaw IDPA Match, and Steel Challange Match. I worked on the Trigger Pull, then made an appointment with my old friend Ron Power (Power Custom). Ron Chamfered the Chambers, added Ball Loc, did some polishing and fitting, set the cylinder up perfectly, etc.

The end result was another Smith & Wesson Swiss Watch. I have 5 that fit the Swiss Watch description.

I have Three Power Custom "Combat" Revolvers that are marked. Ron has done enough work on my Two IDPA SSR Guns, a 64-3 and 686-5 that they could be marked as Power Custom "Combats" also.

I have no problem with doing a little trigger work, polishing, cleaning, sights, etc. If I need something fixed, or adjusted Ron is only a couple hours up the road. As long as I have a Master Revolver Smith just up the road, I will let him do the Majic on my revolvers.

Ron and his shooting buddy Ben Van Dyke came down to the range last weekend. They got in a range day Friday, then we had a 600 yard Bench Rest Match Saturday, and a 100 thru 800 yard Multi Range F Class Match Sunday. Ron shot up lots of ammunition, and had a good time. He helped me score and pull targets Sunday. Some Great Quality Time. Ron and Ben come down and shoot rifles at the range when Ben is off the road. Ben plays Guitar with his dad Leroy Van Dyke, and other groups, so he stays pretty busy.

Bob
Old December 16, 2012, 08:54 AM   #79
HKGuns

I really can't recall seeing such a balanced poll response in a firearms forum in my life. Quite interesting.
Old December 16, 2012, 09:01 AM   #80
mrt949

My ruger revolvers no problem.
Old March 6, 2013, 04:30 PM   #81
Garycw

Do you take your revolvers apart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt949 View Post
My ruger revolvers no problem.
I like to take everything apart, but try to limit rollers to cylinder & grips only. I've taken my smith model 10 cyl & side plate off, but my Ruger security six looks more difficult.

Sent from iPhone
Old March 6, 2013, 04:50 PM   #82
rclark

This poll is interesting .... Around 56% either do not or very rarely take the revolver apart. Interesting. Does that tell us, that when you go to a gun show that over 50% of the revolvers haven't ever been disassembled for a proper cleaning? Ouch! Just last weekend, I took down my 'new' New Vaquero to its base pieces. Had bought it on previous Thursday. Cleaned the factory oil off all the pieces. Checked for burrs, did some smoothing here and there with a ultra-fine stone, re-oiled and put back together. Now I am confident that everything is as it should be inside... It will come apart again soon when I get some Wolff springs for it.... I am surprised at the number of folks that just 'shoot' 'em!
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old March 6, 2013, 04:52 PM   #83
Garycw

Do you take your revolvers apart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garycw View Post
I like to take everything apart, but try to limit rollers to cylinder & grips only. I've taken my smith model 10 cyl & side plate off, but my Ruger security six looks more difficult.

Sent from iPhone
Well just watched a couple videos on Ruger SS and.... Easy Peasy. Can't wait to take apart now!

Sent from iPhone
Old March 6, 2013, 08:20 PM   #84
larryf1952

I've taken every handgun that I own down to its component pieces during a full detail strip at one time or another, whether they be semiautos or revolvers, Colts included. Nothing but parts, springs and roll pins kept in various small containers, waiting for reassembly. I just fully detail stripped both the slide and frame of my Beretta 92FS and S&W 1911. I do it at about 500 rounds. It's amazing how much soot, crud and unburned powder collects in and around the tiniest pieces. I don't clean every time that I shoot, but when I clean a gun, I REALLY clean the gun. I couldn't sleep at night if I knew that there was some goo still in there, lurking somewhere...

I've had no formal training in gunsmithing, but I am very technically inclined. I've made my career in television engineering, and I used to routinely tear apart videotape machines and studio cameras, so small, precision mechanical assemblies don't necessarily scare me. If it's unfamiliar to me, I will spend 1/2 hour studying the pieces and their orientations, and I'll even draw a diagram of how everything fits together before I start to disassemble it.

So far, everything has worked and I haven't ended up with an assortment of spare parts after I'm done...