The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 10, 2013, 10:51 PM   #1
My Toy

Question about California gun laws

Saw a story on Fox News Channel about how strict gun laws in California are and it was mentioned that it's citizens are limited as to how many guns they can own. Is this true? I mean are law abiding Californians limited to owning X number of handguns and Y number of rifles and Z number of shotguns? Apparently California's legislature is about to go in to session with a whole host of additional new restrictions such as limiting the amount of ammo you can buy and registering the sale. Wow. Here in the Peoples Republic of Maryland our elected dictators are about to go into legislative session and I'm wondering if they are going to be using the same play book as the west coast gun grabbers.
Old January 11, 2013, 12:19 AM   #2
62coltnavy

No. We are limited as to what firearms we can buy, but quantities are unlimited. However, other than C&R firearms, its one handgun a month.
Old January 11, 2013, 05:23 AM   #3
Metal god

Yea I saw the same show and thought they should have explained it better . The limit on guns you can buy is on hand guns . One every 30 days . I bought 2 at the same time last year but had to wait 40 days to take possession of the second one . The 30 day wait between hand gun purchases and then the ten day waiting period . The limit is not on how many you can own its on how many hand guns you can buy at one time .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 11, 2013, 06:45 AM   #4
My Toy

Thanks, that clears up what has become the norm - inaccurate reporting of news stories. In The Peoples Republic of Maryland our elected dictators already beat California's legislators to the punch; we have had "one gun a month" for a long time. One difference might be is that our rulers as part of the deal to get this legislation passed created a category of regulated firearm (handgun or assault weapon) buyer classified as a Designated Collector. If you send an application to the MD State Police and get approved (which I did) to become a Designated Collector you can purchase as many regulated guns as you want in any 30 day period. Does the Golden State have this feature in their gun laws?
Old January 11, 2013, 04:42 PM   #5
Librarian

California's 1 handgun in 30 days became effective Jan 1, 2000.

If a private seller wants to sell me a handgun - using an FFL because CA law requires it - then that sale is NOT subject to 1-in-30 (except - there's always complications in CA! - inside the city limits of Los Angeles). I can buy as many handguns PPT as I can afford within any time period.

The FAQ page is here.
Old January 11, 2013, 10:09 PM   #6
Pointshoot

Well, I feel for you guys. I remember a few years ago when I read a post by someone from CA about how he couldnt buy a particular handgun because it 'wasn't on the approved list' and scratched my head in puzzlement. I could be wrong, but if I recall it was some old discontinued Ruger revolver.
Old January 12, 2013, 01:54 AM   #7
Metal god

Quote:
If a private seller wants to sell me a handgun - using an FFL because CA law requires it - then that sale is NOT subject to 1-in-30
I did not know this but it makes sense . What if your a collector of hand guns and want to sell your collection or even a set of guns . It would be pretty messed up if I had to wait 20 months to sell a 20 gun collection .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 14, 2013, 01:40 PM   #8
bikerbill

God bless Texas ... no limits, no waiting period, no idiotic list of guns I can't buy ... there are still many excellent places to live where the state government doesn't consider voters total idiots ... you can stay and fight in CA or vote with your feet and find a more gun-friendly place to live ... Wyoming is looking especially good today, except that it's sooo bloody cold!!
Old January 14, 2013, 03:23 PM   #9
CowTowner

It ain't been all that warm here in Cow Town, I can tell ya.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old January 15, 2013, 12:46 AM   #10
armsmaster270

If I get the chance I'm out of Commiefornia ASAP I'm sick of Diane Finkelstein and her ilk.