The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 28, 2008, 10:20 PM   #1
papadave

Traditions Sporter 209

I just bought a Traditions Sporter 209 .50 cal rifle. I was looking for some help as far as shooting round balls for practice. I plan on using sabots for hunting but want to practice with balls. Thanks in advance.
Old January 30, 2008, 08:38 PM   #2
Pahoo

Like the way you think and yes, you can safely shoot round ball. Those conicals and sabots, are too pricey for the first time out. However, don't expect your sabots to shoot the same. You have two basic choices; A patched round ball or if you can still find them, a round ball sabot. Because your twist is fast for the conicals you will have to download. Start at 40grns and work on up till you run into instability to the round ball. A round ball is very forgiving but you can't push them too fast. I call this shooting for the fun of it and you don't spend a bunch of money doing it. While you are at it, you might want to "Season" your barrel while shooting the round ball. As a rule of thumb, I shoot at least 100 rounds total in multiple range visits. One important rule is to read your manual to see if they mention anything about shooting round ball.

Be Safe !!
Old February 2, 2008, 02:13 PM   #3
papadave

Any types of powder work better than others?