The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 25, 2012, 07:31 PM   #1
Roland Thunder

Car carry in N. Carolina

My understanding is that the law in NC for carrying in your car is that it must be visible and it doesn't matter if it's loaded or not but this only applies to those with no ccw.

I have a GA ccw and will be traveling in NC so since the 2 states reciprocate, I am OK keeping it anywhere in the car, visible or concealed, right?
Old May 25, 2012, 09:26 PM   #2
shadowviper

You answered your own question.

NC and GA reciprocate, so it doesnt matter where you have it.

Last edited by shadowviper; May 25, 2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old May 26, 2012, 05:14 AM   #3
Kreyzhorse

Check out www.handgunlaw.us. This is a great site and will answer most, if not all of your CCW questions.
Old May 26, 2012, 09:33 AM   #4
22-rimfire

Pay attention to the regulation or lack of the requirement to inform law enforcement if stopped. NC is a "must inform" state.
Old May 27, 2012, 08:57 AM   #5
Roland Thunder

Restricted places

In NC, there are list of restricted places that you cannot carry your gun even if you have a permit (I have a GA permit and GA reciprocates with NC), e.g. public places that charge admission, government buildings. Does this apply only to carrying it on your possession or does this also apply to having it, say in the trunk of your car. In other words, if you are at the state capital but you leave your gun in the trunk are you still violating the law just by having it in your car?
Old May 27, 2012, 09:05 AM   #6
22-rimfire

Check Handgunlaw.com. I believe there is a section that deals with parking lots. I believe you are just fine with the gun locked up inside your vehicle.
Old May 27, 2012, 10:58 AM   #7
BIG P

I do belive your right,I travel back & forth from GA to NC. regular never had any problems.
Old May 27, 2012, 06:42 PM   #8
riddleofsteel

Get a safe for under your seat. Mine is cabled to the seat post. Move the weapon to the safe before entering restricted property and your golden. Once the weapon is secured you are free from the duty to announce but it is still a courtesy and a good idea.
Old May 29, 2012, 11:32 AM   #9
Roland Thunder

Quote:
Check out www.handgunlaw.us. This is a great site and will answer most, if not all of your CCW questions.
I like this site because it shows when it was recently updated and also tell what changes were made. Some sites that list gun laws for various states do not reflect recent changes in the law.
Old May 31, 2012, 09:23 PM   #10
MadMikeX3

There is a really cool app for this. It will tell you your Carry laws of your state, and it will also tell you those of which you plan to travel to. Its Updated pretty regularly.
Old June 1, 2012, 08:18 AM   #11
MadMikeX3

NC DOJ: Given this general prohibition of carrying concealed weapons, individuals must be ever vigilant to ensure their particular situation cannot be construed as concealing a weapon, either on or about them, without being properly authorized to do so with a valid North Carolina, or recognized out-of-state concealed handgun permit. Therefore, the permittee's accessibility to the weapon is of prime importance. It is for these reasons, that when transporting a weapon in a vehicle, even greater care must be exercised to ensure that the weapon is not concealed, and within the ready access to an occupant of the vehicle. North Carolina law does not specifically address how to transport a weapon in an automobile. Therefore, the central question becomes: when is the weapon concealed and readily accessible to an occupant of an automobile? Obviously, a weapon would be concealed and readily accessible, and therefore in violation of North Carolina law, if it were placed in such areas of a vehicle as under the seat of the automobile; in a bag in the back seat; or in some other manner is covered or hidden within the easy reach of an occupant of the vehicle. It is our recommendation that firearms should not be carried in a glove compartment regardless of whether the compartment is locked or not. While a weapon carried openly in an automobile would not be concealed, there are other problems specific to this method of carrying a weapon. The principal drawback, of course, is in the event of an individual being stopped by a law enforcement official, the officer may not readily know that individual's purpose and intent for carrying a weapon. As such, it is imperative that an individual immediately notify an officer of the presence of any weapon in the automobile, for the officer's and the vehicle's occupants' safety. Another obvious drawback is that a valuable weapon may be in plain view for potential thieves to see. The prohibition to carrying concealed weapons applies not only to handguns and other weapons commonly thought of as being easily hidden, but also to "long guns" as well. Therefore, shotguns and rifles concealed behind the seat of pickup trucks, and elsewhere in other vehicles, could similarly violate North Carolina law. As to those vehicles with no easily discernible trunk area (i.e., vans, etc.), the question arises on a factual determination of when the weapon is within ready and easy access to an occupant of the vehicle. If the weapon is concealed near, in close proximity to, or within the convenient control and access of an occupant, which would allow him/her to use the weapon quickly, then a fair probability exists that the occupant is in violation of the law. Therefore, care must be exercised by any occupant of any vehicle to ensure that weapons are securely locked away in as remote an area as possible, in relation to the passenger compartment of the vehicle. It is important to emphasize that these prohibitions apply to passengers, as well as drivers of any vehicle.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
Old June 1, 2012, 08:22 AM   #12
Busby

Thanks for the link to the Handgunlaw.us website. This is very useful.