The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 16, 2012, 09:24 PM   #1
KnightofCydonia

Browning Auto 5 Buy?

1953, owner's uncle hunted with it a lot, but now he hasn't shot it for 20 years. Belgian 12 ga.

What can you guys tell me about it? He said he would let me offer, so what's a good offer (for me) for this gun?

Seller added more detail: Fixed full choke, bore is fine, some minor pitting on the exterior finish. The pistol grip still has checkering however the finish is coming off, not aware of any gouges or major cracks (there is one in the forearm as I recall but not major) however the finish is worn and chipping in various places, it is a 50 year old firearm and until I got it was stored in a soft case in the rafters

Last edited by KnightofCydonia; May 16, 2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old May 17, 2012, 08:41 AM   #2
mr.t7024

Browning Auto 5

It is a nice firearm,well made,nice shooting shotgun,but heavy compared to my model 37.friend is a friend,but cash is cash.Offer him 250 ...! Cliff
Old May 17, 2012, 10:01 AM   #3
Anthony66

man, if that gun could talk, just think of the stories...
Old May 19, 2012, 07:54 AM   #4
PJR

What do you intend to use the gun for? It's unsuitable for waterfowling because Browning doesn't recommend using steel in the Belgian-made guns. It's too heavy and too tightly choked for upland. The Auto 5 is an oddity on the clay target fields. So to do anything useful with this gun will require some modifications.

It looks in rough shape which isn't surprising because it was stored in a case which is never a good idea. Cracked forearms are fairly common in Auto 5s and they only get worse with use. I'd offer $250 to a friend who was facing hard times and I was feeling charitable. For anyone else I'd let them find another buyer.