The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 26, 2012, 10:40 PM   #1
Vermonter

What's Your Favorite Drill?

Weapon Glock 27

Drill. 10 rounds draw fire two per target. Address five targets effectively in ten seconds. My worst time was 12.9 my best was 8.4. I averaged at 11 seconds. I missed four non scrabble shots out of fifty and they stayed on the silhouette so not too shabby
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330313909.127185.jpg

This is an awesome drill. So let's make this a thread about awesome drills. Post your favorite drill and let's discuss.

Old February 27, 2012, 09:16 AM   #2
Mobuck

It's a tossup between DeWalt and Ridgid.
I don't do "drills", dance steps, or dive and rolls-I shoot targets or whatever I choose.
Old February 27, 2012, 09:33 AM   #3
g.willikers

Here's one of my favorites.
It involves just about everything to practice, especially with a mag change or two.
It's kind of hard to set up and run at a regular style range, though.
Your backyard would be just fine, you lucky fellow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tacticalsix-2.jpg (25.2 KB, 58 views)
Old February 27, 2012, 09:47 AM   #4
kraigwy

I like shooting the Texas Star, especially when the top half of the star is behind cover so you have to shoot the bottom plates.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 27, 2012, 09:53 AM   #5
g.willikers

Ooh, that's sneaky.
For those of use who don't have access to a star, using a simple to make swinger is also challenging.
Old February 27, 2012, 09:53 PM   #6
Deaf Smith

Favorite drill?

Dead center hits, no matter the range, size of target, or speed, from the leather.

Deaf
Old February 27, 2012, 10:40 PM   #7
sliponby

2 shots to COM, 2 to pelvic region while moving. Forward, backward, left, right. And yes Deaf, you can stand still if you want. Those of you who are so proud of your drills, you can use them to mount your targets
Old February 27, 2012, 11:00 PM   #8
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

OK guys, the power drill jokes were kinda funny at first...... kinda.

After the first time though, it got old really quick, so you'll notice that a bunch of posts were deleted.

The OP asked a legitimate question. Let's give him some legitimate answers, shall we?

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old February 27, 2012, 11:03 PM   #9
Cheapshooter

OK, serious. Shoot, shoot, and shoot. Your "favorite" drill is probably the least important for you to practice.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 28, 2012, 09:00 AM   #10
Vermonter

I don't mind the jokes but someone deleted my good natured post and I'm the op lol. Anyway I ask because around me there is no IDPA IPSC or the like.

For now The only training I get is very home grown so I am just trying to spice things up.
Old February 28, 2012, 12:29 PM   #11
sliponby

Vermonter, try YouTube "Armed Response Training". David Kenlik and others have some very good drills to practice. There are also many other good training videos on YouTube if you do a search for handgun training.

Good luck in your quest.
Old February 28, 2012, 02:01 PM   #12
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Maybe not the most practical but I like to put out 19 water filled 2 liter bottles from 5 yards to 200 yards. Start out with 2 holstered guns on my belt and one in my shoulder holster and start walking forward. No extra ammo on my person.

I use two revolvers ,357 and 44 mag and my 45 pistol. I have to start walking, draw and shoot while walking. If I miss I have to back up 3 steps and shoot again, no advancing till I get that bottle. Object is to get to the last bottle with all of them shot and no ammo in my guns.

Haven't done it yet but came within two bottles a couple of times. Worst day after doing this for some time was 19 shots fired, 3 bottles gone and I was at the starting line because of all the backing up I had to do.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 28, 2012, 08:45 PM   #13
Vermonter

Grump that is brilliant I am doing it tomorrow.
Old February 28, 2012, 10:35 PM   #14
m&p45acp10+1

I like to line up 1 gal jugs at the 100 yard line, and try to see how many shots from the sub compact 9mms I own to hit them. I also shoot them with the other handguns I own too. Last week I hit one with the first shot with my Mod 67-1 Smith 4 inch. My Ruger Blackhawk in .41 Mag it is like they are not that much of a challenge anymore.

I also like stapling playing cards to the target boad, have another deck. Shuffle and cut the card facing up is the target. At 5 yards I have 5 seconds to identify the card and shoot it. I do this game with friends a lot. The object is to get 5 cards. If you miss or shoot the wrong card you loose your turn, and next time around start over with zero.
Old February 29, 2012, 05:53 PM   #15
Jo6pak

We do this drill alot with rifles, but it works equally well and is just as fun with handguns.

We call it 7-up.
Get 7 medium sized boxes and number them 1 thru 7. Write the numbers large enough to be easily seen at 15-30 yards. Then tape a 10 inch balloon to the top of each box. The balloons can be larger or smaller depending on skill level of the shooters.
The shooter turns his/her back to the range and others place the boxes, scrambling the order and mixing up the range btween targets.

The shooter starts with an empty pistol. When the timer starts, the shooter must turn around, slap in the magazie and shoot the balloons in numbered order as fast as they can.
We will usually limit the magazines to 10 rounds each. This levels the field for those shooting low-capacity guns; and also penalizes the shooter with a reload, should he miss a few targets.
Shooters are disqualified for shooting targets out of order.

It's a really fun little exercise to do, it involves accuracy at different angles and ranges, quick judgement and target aquisition, and introduces a little freindly competition to an outing at the range.
Old February 29, 2012, 10:10 PM   #16
Vermonter

I like the numbers and balloons idea. Thanks alot.
Old March 1, 2012, 08:27 PM   #17
Jo6pak

Yeah it's alot of fun.
After a few rounds, put the boxes in perfect order from left to right. For some reason it really messes with the shooter to have them aligned correctly. I think people overthink it and constantly feel like they are doing it in the wrong order.
Old March 2, 2012, 06:33 PM   #18
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
For now The only training I get is very home grown so I am just trying to spice things up.
You are so fortunate. Probably most of us don't get the chance to do anything like this, as most are stuck with indoor ranges that are full of rules that prevent this type of thing. I always wanted land that permitted me to shoot in my own backyard, but alas, even my new home doesn't provide it. What it does provide is 2 ranges that are within a few miles that are both owned by the same people. When I move, I will be joining post-haste.
Old March 3, 2012, 10:22 AM   #19
g.willikers

With the risk of sounding like a broken record:
For those who don't have access to a range that allows meaningful practice, the magic word is "AirGuns"
When our local club instituted a new batch of rules and regulations, prompted by some very irresponsible behavior, it became more or less useless for serious shooting practice.
But thanks to the modern and very realistic airguns that have become available recently, I can do even more elaborate routines at home that I used to do at the range.
It's proven very effective.
The blowback models of airguns, both airsoft and pellet versions, are plenty realistic enough to take up the slack, so to speak.
Old March 4, 2012, 12:19 PM   #20
orthosophy

.357 Blackhawk

Load one chamber with a shell (.38 or downloaded 357 if you have one). Spin it. Without looking load another with a .357. Took me a wile to get the motion down so I could do this without looking.

Spin it, close the gate, dry fire till both are gone.

Focus on keeping that front sight rock steady. (I use the blackhawk because the GP100 still allows you to see the edges of the cartridges in the loaded chambers.)
Old March 4, 2012, 12:44 PM   #21
Jo6pak

orthosophy, I do the same type of thing with my GP100. I just put empty cases in the "off" cylinders.
A also do the same with dummy rounds in my CZ75. I load one or two into a few mags along with live rounds. Then shoot.

It's a really good way to judge just how much movement to point of aim you have when squeezing the trigger. Since I have been doing this, my handgun shooting has improved tremendously. I'm still not a great shot, but I'm a helluvalot better than I was.

In autos, it's also a good way to practive clearing malfunctions quickly
Old March 4, 2012, 01:03 PM   #22
insomni

funny thing is that my favorite drill doesnt involve any actual firing!
I like the pencil/wall drill.

Find a wall, put a sheet of paper on said wall, centered at where eye level is when you're in your firing position. (if you have a landlord or a wife who will get upset about you screwing up the walls of their fine abode, then put a piece of cardboard behind the paper)

put a pencil down the barrel of your pistol so that only about 1/2" or so sticks out of the muzzle. You can also use a pen, but for max training value, make sure it doesn't protrude too far from the muzzle.

Holster your newly made training monstrosity as if you were carrying it (in you carry holster, on your armor, etc. I do this alot with my leg rig)

for about 10 min a few times a week, practice drawing and presenting your pistol by drawing it, pushing it out into firing position (close enough that the pencil should make a mark on the paper without hampering your extension of your arms). Repeat, and try to get your dots on the paper as tight and consistent as possible.

The plus side of this drill is that 1. for cheap bastards like myself it takes exactly $0 of ammo or range fees or gas to work on your draw 2. it never rains on me when I'm doing this 3. it allows me to focus on draw and sight acquisition FORM without the added complication of a target. This works fine in the real world where all i have to do it look at the center of mass, and I bring my pistol up to what I'm looking at.

you can addapt it to trigger squeeze too by leaving the pencil in contact with the paper, and squeezing the trigger.
Old March 4, 2012, 01:07 PM   #23
insomni

the other drill I absolutely love is to load a magazine with 3 live & the rest dummy rounds, and practice trigger squeeze. they're randomly mixed, and every time i flinch, push, or pull on a dummy round, practice 5 good DA trigger squeezes. Lots of prep, but simple, and effective.

good to do this with a buddy so he can load the mags, and you can load his. changing up the number of live rounds (should always be a low number), and adding to the surprise
Old March 4, 2012, 03:47 PM   #24
Vermonter

Revolvers

With live and dummy in the cylinders that jumps out as a good one for my five shot snubby.

I like the idea of a few snap caps in the mag so you have to tap, rack, and bang.

Keep em coming guys this is where I was headed in the first place.
Old March 4, 2012, 04:02 PM   #25
Don P

deleted by me for a drill reference after reading the Captains post
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.