The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 12, 2010, 04:12 PM   #1
Andy Griffith

"Army" length grip frames for Rugers?

It seems to me, that someone used to make an "Army" length grip frame for Ruger revolvers...who was it, and is it still made?

The one thing I dislike on single actions is the short "Navy-like" grip- that's why I like the Bisley grip a bit better, but if I could find the Army length grip frame, I'd be willing to buy one or two more.
Old April 12, 2010, 05:15 PM   #2
flatheadsal

the gripframe you're refering to is the Super Blackhawk Dragoon style frame, they were available from Ruger on the Old Army in brass only, the steel version was only on Supers, they were for the old model 3 screw frames which were switched over to the New Model transfer bar system in 1972 or 73, you can find them on the Rugerforum in the classifieds, they were longer in length than the stock XR3-RED frame of the time, the bottom 2 frames in the pic are dragoon brass frames, one I bought at a gun show, the other I took off my brass framed Old Army
Old April 12, 2010, 05:17 PM   #3
flatheadsal

heres the steel Super Blackhawk frame off the pistol
Old April 12, 2010, 07:11 PM   #4
olyinaz

Super Blackhawk grip frame:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=826303

I'm not sure what models it can be modified to fit beyond the SBH and old model Vaquero.

Oly
Old April 13, 2010, 12:41 AM   #5
arcticap

I don't see why wood couldn't be properly carved, modified, shaped and used to increase the length and/or mass of the the Ruger grip.
Another substitute grip frame may make it easier to lengthen the grip but there could also be other ways to accomplish it.

Last edited by arcticap; April 13, 2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old April 13, 2010, 04:50 AM   #6
flatheadsal

the Midway frame is for New Model Rugers, the Old Army is based on the Old Model frame and lockwork,one guy on the Rugerforum has a thread about fabricating a block to hold the OM coil spring and plunger for the old models, as I said the old model frames do show up in the classifieds over there, the brass is fairly rare and go for about $325.oo, the steel can usually be had for about $125.oo
Old April 13, 2010, 06:54 AM   #7
madcratebuilder

You can adapt just about any of the Ruger grip frames to the ROA, you well need to fabricate a way to hold the trigger return spring and plunger. A Bisley grip on a cap and ball, interesting.
Old April 13, 2010, 08:15 AM   #8
mykeal

Here's a link to Bill Hamm's web page identifying the various Ruger grip frames and their uses: Ruger grip frames by Bill Hamm

and here's a schematic showing the differences graphically:
Old April 13, 2010, 04:22 PM   #9
olyinaz

Read the OP. He didn't ask what could be adapted to an Old Army, he asked if there were any "Army length" grip frames available for Ruger revolvers.

I assume that when he says "Army length" he's talking about the 1860 Army grip frame that is longer than a standard SAA grip frame (and by cloning most Ruger grip frames). That's why I provided a link to a SBH grip frame.

The OP mentions Navy and Bisley grip frames (the Ruger Bisley grip frame has little little in common with the Colt Bisley grip frame or that of other Bisley clones) so I think what he's looking for is pretty straight forward: An 1860 Army grip frame that will fit a Ruger.

Pietta has everyone talking about "Army" grip frames because they're fitting them to their SAA clones these days and they do feel great to many of us who don't like the finger under-curl grip on a "Navy" size grip.

Oly
Old April 13, 2010, 04:53 PM   #10
flatheadsal

you're right oly and I answered that the longer superblackhawk frame would fit, it would be considered the closest thing to a longer army frame, I have both on my Rugers and on a Richards/Mason conversion, flathead
Old April 13, 2010, 08:39 PM   #11
robhof

robhof

I picked up a set of Jay Scott grips on Ebay; they are oversized and the front of the frame actually fits inside the grips so they fit together in the front and on the bottom. I worked them with a Dremmel til it felt good in my hand and then finished with a hand rubbed finish to a satin finish. It fills my hand and my pinkie doesn't extend below the grip. Alot cheaper than a new grip frame. If I can get my camera working I'll post pic's.
Old April 19, 2010, 10:11 PM   #12
robhof

Here are the pictures, courtesy of the little brat that knows how to use computers...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RA.jpg (54.1 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg ra2.jpg (55.4 KB, 89 views)
Old April 20, 2010, 12:18 AM   #13
olyinaz

Very interesting. I'll bet it fills the hand nicely.

Best,
Oly