The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 12, 2009, 03:11 PM   #1
Loaded45

10mm handloads

I am going to start reloading my 10mm rounds and have a question. What kind of powder will give me the loudest band and biggest flame? I just like that kind of stuff
Thanks
Old February 12, 2009, 03:27 PM   #2
zxcvbob

You'll want to use a powder that's actually a little too slow-burning for the cartridge to maximize the muzzle blast. W296 might be *too* slow, I don't know. 2400 or AA#9 should be good candidates.

Blue Dot, AA#7, and Power Pistol (there's lots of others in this range too) are better powders for 10mm and probably eject enough still-burning powder to give you a nice fireball.
Old February 12, 2009, 10:02 PM   #3
crowbeaner

LOL. I tried some Olin 630 once in the 10 with a 150 and 155 grain bullet and the flash and flame were quite impressive but the amount of unburned powder left in the gun was a bit much. 200 grain bullets and WW296 or 2400 might give the results you seek. CB.
Old February 12, 2009, 10:24 PM   #4
Inspector3711

HS-6, Autocomp, and Longshot are three of the powders that tend to be at the top of scale for velocity. Go take a look at reloading data at the Hodgdon site:

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

I use HS-6 in my .40 and it blows flames out the barrel pretty nicely. Sometimes there's even a spark or two.
You are making me jealous... Haven't finished saving up for a 10MM yet.
Old February 12, 2009, 11:30 PM   #5
scsov509

Quote:
Blue Dot, AA#7, and Power Pistol (there's lots of others in this range too) are better powders for 10mm and probably eject enough still-burning powder to give you a nice fireball.
If it is white flammage that you seek, then Power Pistol most certainly falls into the flash and bang category where autos are concerned.
Old February 13, 2009, 08:06 AM   #6
CowTowner

Quote:
If it is white flammage that you seek, then Power Pistol most certainly falls into the flash and bang category
What he said.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old February 13, 2009, 08:18 PM   #7
Shoney

Wow! What a mind set!!!!!!!

You express no interest in accuracy or economy, just big bang and lots of flash????????

I"m sure that in the near future, we will be calling you Ol'threefingers One Eye Loaded45.

And if you ever get in a gunfight at night, you will effectively be blind for 5 seconds after each shot.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 13, 2009, 11:43 PM   #8
Inspector3711

Ah Shoney... He can use some of the hotter powders and get a bigger flame but still be safe. Just don't exceed max. Follow the rules. Why have a magnum if you're not going to use magnum loads?