The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 8, 2005, 07:56 AM   #1
eeshooter44

45 acp powder

Seems like the most popular powders for 45acp is WW231, bullseye, Unique, and Clays (Universal also). I've been recommended IMR SR4756 for 230gr loads. It was a experienced load and said it was clean burning. But it doesn't seem to be very popular for 45acp. Any reasons why?
Old September 8, 2005, 09:08 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Just another shotgun powder. No reason I can think of that it shouldn't work. Why it hasn't caught on for the purpose is anybody's guess? Maybe you'll be the first to popularize it? Shoot some and let us know whether it meets your expectations?

Nick
Old September 8, 2005, 02:55 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Not sure why it's not popular for .45 ACP, but part of it probably is because it's an older powder and just hasn't gotten the attention that other powders have.

I've never used any of the Sporting Rifle powders myself, but have used a lot of the IMR (Improved Military Rifle) powders over the years.
Old September 8, 2005, 07:35 PM   #4
HSMITH

I have about 5 pounds of 4756 left. It works good in 45, about like Universal and Unique in power levels possible. Downsides are it is much more expensive than some other popular powders and limited load data. I like it, but don't use it a lot.

IMO it is much better suited to 9mm and 40, or standard velocity 38 super.
Old September 8, 2005, 07:44 PM   #5
vinconco

Several years ago SR4756 was a popular powder for the 38 super shooters in IPSC. During those years the "power factor" was set at 175 requiring 38 super shooters to load their 130 gr. bullets to 1385 fps to add a little fudge factor. These loads were definitely above SAAMI specs but the powder handled it well with little signs of pressure. I know I'm off caliber here but in this case it worked well as a pistol powder.
Old September 8, 2005, 08:11 PM   #6
Zekewolf

I like AA#5. Meters well; good power.
Old September 8, 2005, 08:42 PM   #7
rnovi

Clays and Bullseye are my favorite powders for .45 acp although I am getting ready to try some TiteGroup. Both Clays and Bull are putting a LOT of smoke in the air with my 625. I am almost wondering if I'm just loading them too light and not getting good combustion...3.8 grains of Clays is where I am at these days...4.0 for Bullseye.

"Remember, Eagles may soar but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!"
Old September 8, 2005, 10:05 PM   #8
ethernectar

So far I've shot Bullseye powder only in my 45s. It performs well, but seems to be a dirty powder compared to most factory loads I've shot.
Old September 8, 2005, 10:23 PM   #9
vinconco

Rnovi;
Are you using cast lead bullets? weight?
for a 200 grainer a grain more Clays or Bull gives about 875 - 900 fps

Cast lead lube smokes a lot more than the powder.
Old September 9, 2005, 12:01 AM   #10
rnovi

Vin,

Yeah, shooting hardcast lead. Kead 200gr. lead rn's. I kinda figured it was the lead causing a lot of the smoke. I might have to try some plated stuff just to see how much difference it makes.

Old September 9, 2005, 06:28 AM   #11
vinconco

Rnovi;
Smoke from cast bullets makes a huge difference depending on the lighting conditions sometimes blocking out targets completely. Had it happen in a match once shooting into a rising sun one morning. Had to go prone to shoot under the cloud of smoke to complete the stage quickly.
Old September 9, 2005, 09:33 AM   #12
crazylegs

Hey, Rnovi. How you liking the Keads? I'm using the 200 grn rns 45 ACP. I really like them in front of straight Clay's.
Crazylegs
Old September 10, 2005, 07:57 AM   #13
vinconco

These Kead 200 grainers are RN? I don't think I've ever seen a 200 gr RN only SWC's. Can you post a link?

Thanks
Old September 10, 2005, 10:15 AM   #14
kgpcr

Titegroup

I love Titegroup!! Its now all i use in my .45 .38 9mm and my light .44mag loads. its very accurate, very clean burning and meters well. Try it you will low it
Smith M&P 40
Old September 10, 2005, 10:20 AM   #15
WESHOOT2

Fact

Easier to achieve better accuracy with others like AA5, W231, Bullseye, HP38, 700X, and one million others.......
Old September 10, 2005, 04:29 PM   #16
Big Yac

I'm going to load some 45 ACPs up here soon. I have Bullseye, but from my shotguns relaoding I also have some Red Dot, Green Dot, and Herco. I already have a good load with Bullseye but I'm wondering, has anyone here tried Red Dot, Green Dot or Herco in 45s? Herco looks like it could make a pretty stout load. By the way, I have 200gr Lead semi wad cutters.
Old September 10, 2005, 09:49 PM   #17
CaptainRazor

Quote:
has anyone here tried Red Dot, Green Dot or Herco in 45s?
Yes I have, I've even tried several others, to answer your question, I always ended up going back to W231, Unique, or 700X for my target loads with cast bullets.
I mainly use W231 because, well, it works and I haven't had results from the others as I have with W231.

Recoil is mild, and accuracy is always superb with W231 for me.
I've found 5.5 grains under a home cast 230RN is about the best for plinking, as always, your mileage may vary.
Old September 10, 2005, 11:47 PM   #18
vinconco

I used Unique w/ a 230 gr LRN for a long time before I realized a lot of my leading was caused by the higher flame temps of Unique. Been using Clays, 231 and Bullseye and no more leading.... Haven't used my Lewis Lead Remover for years now.
Old September 10, 2005, 11:52 PM   #19
Big Yac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRazor
Quote:
has anyone here tried Red Dot, Green Dot or Herco in 45s?

Yes I have, I've even tried several others, to answer your question, I always ended up going back to W231, Unique, or 700X for my target loads with cast bullets.
I mainly use W231 because, well, it works and I haven't had results from the others as I have with W231.

Recoil is mild, and accuracy is always superb with W231 for me.
I've found 5.5 grains under a home cast 230RN is about the best for plinking, as always, your mileage may vary.
how did each of the powders I mentioned work for you?
Old September 11, 2005, 02:35 PM   #20
CaptainRazor

Yac,

The Green Dot perfromed best of the three IMHO, accuracy was marginal, and as I recall, pretty dirty.

The Red Dot was OK, it really wasn't to bad, accuracy was pretty good, but I believe I abandoned it because of heavier recoil.

Herco was a total disaster, it may be a good load if worked on, and to be honest, I didn't give it a fair shake. The only reason I did it, was to use up a small amount left in a can, that I had inherited from someone I had bought a lot of used equipment and odd lots of components. Kind of a take it all, or take none type of deal.

If I where to recommend one of those three, I'd go with the Red Dot, I DO use it for some jacketed bullet loads, but I really don't shoot many jacketed bullets. It's just not the best for cast bullets IMO.

BTW- If you're looking for some hot loads, try some Blue Dot, I've had some success with it.
Old September 11, 2005, 03:41 PM   #21
rnovi

Vin and Crazy

Hey Vin and Crazy,

It's funny, I was trying to find the cheapest reload I could find while at the same time trying to find a bullet that would work well with moonclips in my 625. I also wanted a lighter bullet that would have a touch less recoil.

I found Kead on the web and decided "what the hell", ordered 500 each of the 185 gr. bevel edged wadcutters, 200gr. round-nose-wadcutters, and 230 gr. classic round nosers. At $20 for 500 bullets I figured I just couldn't go wrong. I loaded up 100 of the 200 gr RNWC's and headed off to the range...

Technically, the 200 gr roundnoses have a very slight wadcutter shoulder to them. I really wasn't sure they would feed well in the moonclips, but damn was I wrong! These things feed darn near as smooth as full 230 gr. roundnosers! Increadibly soft shooting when loaded over 3.8gr. of clays and a federal standard large pistol primer.

All I can say is that I think I just found my favorite bullet. It feeds well, is more accurate than I am in my given range (2" at 45', two hand hold, unrested), and has light recoil. I honestly can't wait to order up another 2,000 of these things. Absolutely love them.

I can't say how well they work in an Autoloader but they are LOVELY in a 625. As of today, 3.8gr Clays is my favorite load for this bullet. I will be trying some TG soon enough to see how it works.

Final note: yep, it's bullet lube that's causing all the smoke. I have tried a half dozen different lead bullets and every lead bullet smokes like mad. BUT, I tried a moly-coated bullet at one point and it didn't smoke as much. Ranier plated bullets, relatively speaking, were truly smokeless! Just a hair of powder smoke...

Anyways, I am a cheap bastidge. I shood lead 'cuz it's dirt cheap. Kead has a winner in my book here.

BTW, Kead bullets can be found at http://www.keadbullets.com/45_ACP.htm the 200 gr RN wadcutters are about halfway down the page.

Old September 11, 2005, 09:40 PM   #22
vinconco

Rnovi;
Sounds like a winner. Just the ticket for the 625....can't wait to try them.
Old September 11, 2005, 11:13 PM   #23
Big Yac

thanks for the info. I'm probably not gonna use the powders I asked about simply because I have a good load going using Bulleye. But if I ever experiment alittle...who knows
Old September 11, 2005, 11:30 PM   #24
rnovi

It's tough to go wrong with Bullseye. It's just a touch dirty but otherwise it's a damn fine powder.