The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 22, 2012, 03:09 PM   #1
aaronsc

Affordable red dot ?

I want a red dot sight for my AR and don't want to spend as much on it as I did the rifle. My Question is are the Tru-Glos and others in that price range a good option or are the higher end optics really needed for consistant shots?
Old October 22, 2012, 04:06 PM   #2
BarryLee

First off no big expert, but did a little research when I bought my AR back in July and ended up getting the Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic or PRO. So, far it has worked very well and I cannot really think of any negatives. I have used in mostly at the range, but did get outside on my Uncle’s farm and it worked fine.

The specifications are similar to some of their higher end sights and the only real difference I noted is that the body is made from aluminum tubing instead of extruded aluminum. I suppose this means it is not quite as rugged, but for most folks I suspect it is just fine. I think the PRO is kind of a law enforcement/civilian version of their military sights.

Also, the PRO comes with a mount which some sights do not, so be sure to consider that when comparing prices.

http://www.brownells.com/optics-moun...prod54099.aspx
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old October 22, 2012, 06:32 PM   #3
aaronsc

To me Aimpoint is in the higher end category. I was thinking more in the $100 and below category. I have a conscience, a.k.a. wife, that governs spending.
Old October 22, 2012, 07:37 PM   #4
TAKtical

Take a look at bushnell trs
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old October 23, 2012, 10:30 AM   #5
Patriot86

I got a sightmark after someone I work with swore by them. For the money I have had to personally find anything close.

http://www.sightmark.com/

They make pretty much any type of red dot sight you could ask for.

I also hear good things about the LUCID-HD7. It is a little more money than you are looking to spend but it might be worth it.
Old October 23, 2012, 11:32 AM   #6
Water-Man

Bushnell TRS-25 works well and is inexpensive.

Get a UTG medium or high riser mount with it.
Old October 24, 2012, 02:01 AM   #7
Justice06RR

If you are on a budget like some of us, a decent red dot like Bushnell TRS or Sighmark should suffice.

Just be reminded that its not Aimpoint or Eotech quality and accuracy.
Old October 24, 2012, 04:56 AM   #8
GreySmoke

Primary Arms Good Quality at a Fair price
Old October 24, 2012, 12:18 PM   #9
Ridge_Runner_5

Quote:
I was thinking more in the $100 and below category.
So basically you want to just throw money away?

$100 and below optics are **** designed for .22 rifles at most, likely just airsoft/paintball guns. The Aimpoint PRO is THE best deal in the red dot market right now. If your wife is limiting what you can spend, then I suggest ferreting cash away a bit at a time until you have enough to buy a decent optic.
Old October 24, 2012, 03:23 PM   #10
rickyjames

i recently got a new ar-15 flat top folding stock. i was looking for a red dot that would work well and be affordable. after much online research i decided on a vortex strikefire which i bought at sportsmans guide. after getting an online $20 discount code and my members discount was delivered to me for $150 including shipping. it comes with the mount (get the tall ar-15 mount if you have a flat top) and also a 2x magnafier.
it mounts easily and looks good, has a red and green dot and adjustable brightness but i have not tried it yet. every online review or youtube video i saw was positive. sportsmans guide has a 4 payment plan available to make it easier to afford. i was trying to stay under $100 myself but for $50 more i thought this was a bargin. buy what you like but this scope is worth considering so check it out.
Old October 24, 2012, 03:59 PM   #11
JWT

In the below $100 category I'd definitely take a look at Primay Arms offerings.
Old October 24, 2012, 05:23 PM   #12
pturner67

buy once, cry once...
Old October 24, 2012, 05:47 PM   #13
Jo6pak

Primary Arms M3 clone for me. It has taken tons of abuse utop my DR200. Holds zero fine, bright dot, solid construction, battery life is great. Company also has great customer service.
Vortex Strikefire is another good option. Dot seemed a bit dim to me, but the guy I sold it to loves it.

And for those preaching the high end stuff...
We all don't need battlefield stuff on guns that see moderate use. We don't all have pockets bulging with money. So if you can't offer something useful to answer the question, simply don't reply

remember the old Russian proverb
Perfection is the enemy of good enough
Old October 24, 2012, 07:20 PM   #14
jmr40

I can't justify the high end red dots either, but have wasted my money on several in the $100 and under range. The Vortex models are much closer to the high end dots at under $200. I went with the SPARC over the Strikefire. Only $20 more but the smaller 2 MOA dot actually makes it fairly precise out at 100 yards or more. Many of the 5 MOA dots are pretty useless at longer ranges since they cover so much of the target.

None of the cheaper versions I've tried would zero easily. The adjustments were not predictable and I had to shoot up a lot of ammo getting them zeroed. Sometimes 3 clicks would move POI 1.5". The next time 3 clicks wouldn't change anything or would move POI 3-4 ". I chased groups all over the target and once zeroed they would not be on the next range trip.

The Vortex models work, and are worth the small price difference.
Old October 24, 2012, 07:45 PM   #15
Xfire68

Have a Primary Arms M3 on my gals S&W AR and it does a great job out to 100 yards but, it's not something I would stake my life on. It shuts off from time to time from recoil.

It does work 99% of the time though. She gets 5" groups at 100 yards.
Old October 24, 2012, 09:47 PM   #16
aaronsc

Quote:
I can't justify the high end red dots either, but have wasted my money on several in the $100 and under range
That's exactly why I asked you guy's this question. I figured there would be plenty of people on here who could steer me in the right direction.

I was already thinking about sightmark, and now will look closely the Vortex models.

Thanks for the input.
Old October 25, 2012, 11:42 PM   #17
patron1974

I have a windham weoponry flat top and have also been thinking of buying the Vortex SPARC. You should check out the youtube video were the guy runs a torture test and it pretty much keeps on working great. Anyone out there know which mount i should use and still be able to install and use some flip up sights??
Old October 26, 2012, 12:29 AM   #18
p loader

Aimpoint Pro

You can find them for $400 shipped online.
Old October 26, 2012, 12:35 AM   #19
p loader

Quote:
And for those preaching the high end stuff...
We all don't need battlefield stuff on guns that see moderate use. We don't all have pockets bulging with money. So if you can't offer something useful to answer the question, simply don't reply
So offering an alternative to buying junk ($100 or less optic) is bad advice? I think that's useful information even if it might not be what the OP can afford or want to hear. Maybe he will reconsider and save up a bit to afford a $400 optic, not exactly "high end" when compared to optics that cost 2 to 3 times as much, and doesn't necessarily require pockets bulging with money.
Old October 26, 2012, 09:35 AM   #20
Micahweeks

Quote:
So offering an alternative to buying junk ($100 or less optic) is bad advice?
Yes, because under or around $100 does not equal junk. As was stated, for moderate to light use, some of the less expensive options will be fine.
Old October 26, 2012, 04:52 PM   #21
Jo6pak

p loader

It's about helping answer the OPs question. He stated that he had around $100 to spend, and was offered some optics at 4x that price.
If he needed a car to get him to work and back, an ocassional weekend road trip and had $6000 to spend; would you tell him to save up and buy a Humvee?

It just seems to be a prevalent theme when someone is looking for something "good enough" Yes, sometimes saving a few more bills is the best route. But for many of us, finding another $100 is all but impossible. And spending several times our budget is out of the question.

Am I knocking the Aimpoints/EOTechs/Trijicons? No, I love the Trijicon on my M1A
Is my PA M3 clone on my DR200 the best optic out there? No, but it has stood up to alot of abuse and performed well. I don't need to trust my life to it, and at ~$100, if it breaks I can buy another 3 for the price of the Aimpoint Pro.

Last edited by Jo6pak; October 26, 2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old October 26, 2012, 05:58 PM   #22
Yung.gunr

I would agree with Patriot. I got a Sightmark and really like it. It works great for my needs on my AK. My Brother really liked it and it cowitnessed great on his AR so he got one too.
I was looking at getting the Lucid as well but it is more and I couldn't find one.
Old August 19, 2013, 03:25 PM   #23
BAMA15

optics for my AR15

I bought my first AR15 at the first of yr. I did not do my research before I bought it.. :-( It had a rubber armored tactical Target sports 3-9x42. I have done some research and now thinking I should have got one of these red dot scopes then add a magnifier. Could some one please guide me in the right direction. I am shooting anywhere from 25 yards to 300. Though I am not that good at far distance yet. Anyways should I get one of these red dot eotec or aim point red dot scopes or is what I have ok?? I don't like it for short distances because it's harder to locate target fast enough. That's why I am considering one of these red dot scopes??? HELP PLEASE!!!
Old August 19, 2013, 04:02 PM   #24
Theohazard

BAMA15: What you're doing is attempting to hijack the OP's thread, and that's considered very rude here and on most other forums. If you have a question, feel free to start your own thread instead of hijacking this one.

To the OP: I've used the TruGlo red dots and they're not bad for the money. If you keep the reticle mostly centered the large amount of parallax won't be an issue. But I'd go with the Vortex Strikefire or Sparc: They're the best inexpensive red dots in my opinion.
Old August 19, 2013, 04:40 PM   #25
Skadoosh

Quote:
But I'd go with the Vortex Strikefire or Sparc: They're the best inexpensive red dots in my opinion.
Do you have experience with any other brand of inexpensive red dots?