The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old October 23, 1999, 02:42 PM   #1
Mike in VA

First time in a month I was able to get a couple hours off duty as Nurse Mikee and go exercise the my new Kinber Compact. This gun continuew to live up to its reputation. I ran 100 rnds of Federal 230 gr Nato match loads and 50 rnds of S&B 230 gr, then some mix and match mags of REm GS 185 +P, 230 gr Hydrshoks, 185 gr. Win STHPs. Only on FTF on the S&B hardball, and one failure to lock back (also w/S&B) on a Wilson Combat mag(!).

The most pleasant surprise is that this gun shot to point of aim at 25' with everything I fed it! I was literally able to put a smiley face on a shilloette taret at 5-6 yds (OK, the smile was a little crooked, and the eyes weren't even, but it was clearly recognizable -) I love a gun that makes me look good.

So, bottom line, my Kimber has been berry, berry good to me (so far). 400+ rounds, one FTF, one failure to lock back the slide, and scary accurate. Meybe I should try a long nose . . . yeah, Xmas is coming . . .Yeah, Custome Classic, that's the ticket. Take care Y'all, m2
Old October 24, 1999, 09:04 AM   #2
Jessica Wellman

I'm glad you were able to get out shooting Nurse Mike!!
I hope all is going well at home with your wife.
Take Care,
Jessica
Old October 25, 1999, 03:18 PM   #3
Mike in VA

Thanks for asking LadyDeej. Sorry for going off thread, I'da replied off line, but there's no e-mail address for you. Marci was operated on 8 weeks ago today, and I'm happy to report that she is progressing nicely (though slowly). The Dr. pulled a calcified tumor off her brainstem, got about 97% of it, doesn't expect it to be a problem again in her lifetime. Yesterday we went for a walk, she's graduating from a walker to a cane, took about 10 minutes to cover 100 m. and back, furthest she's gone to date. With the trauma to the CNS, we've had to relearn some pretty basic stuff, like swallowing and sneezing, but she can now get around the kitchen on her own, make a sandwich, cup of tea, etc., and she's self-sufficient enough that I can leave her for a couple of hours with out worrying (too much). We very much appreciate all the support from our friends at TFL, and every day is an opportunity to do a little bit better, so we carpe diem.
Best regards, M2
Old October 26, 1999, 01:56 AM   #4
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Kimber has a solid reputation. This report does not surprise me one bit. You dont just jump into the 1911 market and reach the top of the industry for no reason. Marketing can only get you so far. The Kimber really is that good.
For a Compact 1911 the Kimbers I looked at felt very nice and even lighter than I expected.
Methinks this would be a most excelent carry gun. Pack it all day long and never have to be constantly aware its there.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old October 26, 1999, 02:58 PM   #5
Mike in VA

I'd like to get another 1-200 rnds of various stuf thru it before I 'graduate' it into the carry rotation. It is a tad heavy (compared to my SIGs), but it has a nice balance and points very naturally. I find I shoot it more accurately offhand than supported (I'm in the process of mastering modified Weaver), and it settles back on target very quickly compared to my 8045 (which, interestingly, weighs about the same but has a shorter barrel) or my USP45C (which is almost 1/2 lb. lighter). The Kimber is also considerably flatter (thinner) than the other two, which I find is a big plus for concealed carry.

I must admit I find the 'cocked & locked' aspect to be a bit intimidating, and I don't have any plans to carry it until I'm thoroughly comfortable with that manual of arms (I learned on DA/SA SIGs). I've also noticed laying one pistol on top of the other that the trigger reach on the Kimber is at least 1/2" shorter than on either the Beretta or H&K (no duh, it's a SAA vs DA/SA) but it does explain why a lot of people with smaller hands can handle a 1911 patern gun easier than a lot of the newer designs.

After cleaning up after the last trip out, I treated the rails and other sliding surfaces with Sentry Solutions Dry Lube, made things very silky, we'll see how it holds up in use. That's it fer now, let cha'll know how she's working out after teh next range session in a couple weeks, Inshallah.
M2
Old October 28, 1999, 05:59 PM   #6
STEVE M

Mike, It sounds like you have the same disease as I do. Remeber, there is no cure. The only known treatments for the dreaded (by spouses) Kimber fever are: 1000 rounds of hard ball or another Kimber. Luck and good shooting!
Old October 29, 1999, 03:19 AM   #7
Hal

Um, Mike, you're "Family". We all wondered how your wife was doing. It great to hear that she is doing well. 2 years ago my wife was laid up for 4 months with a broken ankle and a severe allergic reaction to her medication, so I am real familiar with the nurse routine.
I am one of those people that has a tendancy to like the single stack 1911 style. They are just a whole lot more comfortable than a DA design. I can't fire a DA auto without shifting my hand from the DA to SA. On my Kimber, I used some 1800 grit wet/dry to polish the slide surfaces followed by a coating of DSX grease. I left the DSX on for a week, cleaned it off, then used a product called Ultra Lube which is a dry type lube. The slide feels like wet ice on wet ice now.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http://www.ofcc.net
Old November 3, 1999, 05:26 AM   #8
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

My earlier pos tin this thread turns out to be very true.
My new Kimber Pro Carry is very nice. Not heavy - its comfy inside my waist band. It shoots very nice - like a dream. Shoots POA at 25.
And it FEELS RIGHT in the hand. No pistol feels better in the hand than a 1911.
I cant ask for anything else.

I fired 200 rounds through it yesterday - I loaded it up with SXT rounds that I got on sale. Not a bad round. Higher velocity than the Hydras - which I think is desirable in a shorter tube. I will have to Chrony my beloved 230 grain Hydras out of this gun before I load them for carry. I dont want to be below 900 FPS for anything.

What I am going to need is some new leather gear - a few spare mags... ( I got 2 )
Then look at after market options - well - I dont need so many wiht the Kimber...
A 1911 is kinda like an old hot rod - you get to tinker with it.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old November 4, 1999, 12:23 PM   #9
Futo Inu

Mike: Yeah, but Mel Gibson can put the smiley face on at 25 yards! Cool - I guess the compact size means that there is only negligible extra muzzle rise while the 230s are in the barrel, relative to the 185s; hence the same hit point with same point of aim. With a 4.5 or 5" tube, the 230s would be higher on target, I suppose.
Old November 9, 1999, 10:59 PM   #10
Vee

I have the Kimber Pro-Carry and Ultra Elite. I have found them both accurate an reliable. I have fired 300 rounds throught each. Initially the Pro-Carry did not lock back on the last round--ist 100 rounds. Since then, it has not failed me. The Ultra Elite has jammed once in 300 rounds. I have used 230 grain FMJ, 185 gr. Winchester Silver Tips, and 165 gr. Federal Personal Defense Loads. Recently an excellent resource suggested I carry Speer 230 gr JHP's. I have not had an opportuntity to fire this round.

I carry the Ultra Elite on a daily basis and find it acceptable. My situation demands that I error on the safety of others and I do not carry it cocked and locked. The U-E is slim, light weigth, accurate, and powerful.

I wish all lock in their choice of a weapon.

Vee
Old November 10, 1999, 02:17 AM   #11
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I picked up most things I am going to need - including a new cleaning kit.

I am still looking for a good belt slide. Gun shops in Utah SUCK when it comes to decent leather.
"A YAK-WEE Slide? Never heard of it - we got an Uncle Mike's belt slide..."

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE