The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 5, 1999, 04:49 PM   #1
boing

I've seen this expression used in various places, but have never seen an explanation of how to do it. What is it?

Thanks

-boing
Old July 5, 1999, 05:29 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Boing-
Picture the entry/clearing of a room. Your approach keeps the wall and jamb away from you (anti-Hollywood style), to prevent someone inside the room from grabbing your weapon.

By "slicing the pie", it is meant to move in a determined and continuous arc or line around the entryway with the weapon at, or close to, eye level. As you move in the arc or line "pie shaped" slices are revealed to you and threats assessed and eliminated. With each new "slice" you attempt to expose only your weapon, hand(s) and shooting eye to the scanned area.

By the time you've finished the move/scan/ assess/shoot, you have only the blind spots on either side of the door or behind obstacles/other doors to clear.

Hope this helps.
Rich
Old July 5, 1999, 07:14 PM   #3
boing

Got it. Thanks!

-boing
Old July 7, 1999, 12:03 PM   #4
SB

Incidentally, this is something we should all universally do regardless of the circumstance. Also applies with other tools such as knives. Of course, the speed of slicing may vary depending on the circumstance.
Old July 8, 1999, 12:20 AM   #5
Ivanhoe

does one start on the hinge side of the door, or the knob side? hinge side seems to make sense to me, as it would keep the door between unseen badguys and one's weapon.

Old July 8, 1999, 01:52 AM   #6
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Ivanhoe-
I'm not an operator, but I'd start with the "side" closest....take it as it comes. To move to the other side requires "pieing the room" and renders the decision moot.

When facing aggression, counter-aggression is your friend. Just "do what comes next". And don't ever do a clearing exercise without partners, unless you're faced with no choice in "fighting" your way to your kids or spouse.

Try it in your own abode and you'll quickly realize that, against a trained opponent, you will loose. Luckily, few of our average Street Scum spend their time in training.
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited July 08, 1999).]
Old July 8, 1999, 04:05 PM   #7
pete80

Or go for the button-hook if you have a two man team!
Old July 8, 1999, 06:20 PM   #8
SB

Ivanhoe:

What? We get to choose? How wonderful.

But seriously, your hand/side preference may also play a factor. Say you're going down a straight hallway with a door in front of you. If you're right handed, you probably want to hug the right side of the wall. And you will probably want to slice the left side of the room first before the right. This is especially true for weaver folks.

But these are ideal conditions. Ultimately, it's like what Rich says, "Take it as it come." Or better yet, do what pete80 says. Bring a couple of trained friends over and clear it together.

By the way, am I missing something, or is there a reason why people are asking about slicing the pie all of a sudden?

[This message has been edited by SB (edited July 08, 1999).]
Old July 9, 1999, 02:47 AM   #9
boing

Next:

"Button-hook" and "Criss-Cross"?

-boing
Old July 9, 1999, 10:24 PM   #10
Edmund Rowe

Some comments in slicing the pie/button hook/cross/whatever searching movement:

Try it around your house and other buildings and I noted
-The more you know about it, the better off you are in case you ever have to do this for real.
-This is effing dangerous
-If there are multiple bad guys, or the perp just gets a wild hit in, I die. BAD. A close range shooting could be a tie. Ties are still BAD. I want to WIN.
-Big final note: of course it's good to know how to do searching movement to maximize your odds, but unless there is a very good reason, I'd rather wait and let the cops go flush the perps out, or let them get bored and poke their heads out "Is the good guy gone? I haven't seen/heard him in a while" As the good guy, time is on MY side.

Edmund
Old July 10, 1999, 12:37 AM   #11
boing

In general, I'm split on the issue of whether to clear one's house when there may be a Bad Guy, or whether to hide in your safe room, prepare to ambush, and call 911.

Some people have kids or other family members that need to be accounted for, so for them clearing in essential.

Clearing is dangerous because you don't where the BG is, or even if there is a BG, in some cases. But even though I don't have kids, I'll still clear my house. Reason being: one or all of my 15 dogs will tell me where the BGs are. They (the dogs) also act as a BIG, NOISY distraction to the BGs, giving me an unusually good chance of making contact with out being "made".

If I lived alone, without dogs, I would be very hesitant about clearing my house like a hotshot, especially without professional training in the tactics.

-boing

[This message has been edited by boing (edited July 10, 1999).]
Old July 10, 1999, 10:25 AM   #12
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Boing-
I basically agree. Single person clearing is an absolute last resort and I know of no professional that would advocate it. Remember that time is on your side....it's incumbent on the invader to move, sooner or later. Gain cover and wait him out.

In certain cases, as you point out (and I've previously stated), there is no choice but to move to protect your family. I personally think protective canines are the key here. Unfortunately, if the perp was willing to gain entry despite the dogs, I'd assume far worse than the common household burglary.

In two shooter families, dry clearing practice is in order as it increases your chances immensely. Still it should be reserved for dire situations.

Basic rule of thumb if you have to go it alone: The guy moving is the target. The guy behind cover is the shooter. Better to be the shooter than shootee.

Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited July 10, 1999).]
Old July 10, 1999, 09:21 PM   #13
boing

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"Unfortunately, if the perp was willing to gain entry despite the dogs, I'd assume far worse than the common household burglary."[/quote]

Yeah, I've had some concern about that. No normal housebreaker would even consider my house as a target. It's the abnormal housebreakers that worry me.

They're either targetting me specifically, or mentally unsound, or both.

Bad for me. Bad for them. Just plain ban. I think I'll do some drills tomorrow...

-boing
Old July 13, 1999, 10:49 AM   #14
Anthony

Could someone please explain the steps in executing the button-hook and criss-cross searching maneuvers?

- Anthony