The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 19, 2008, 06:51 AM   #1
Super-Dave

Best all around shot shell for hunting.

I am looking for the best shotgun shells I can use for survival hunting scenarios.

What shot shell would be best for hunting all of the following:

Turkey, Rabit, birds, ducks, squirels, raccoons and possums. These are the only small game that are in my area.

I was thinking either BB shot or #2 shot.

What do you recomend?

George Orwell
Old March 19, 2008, 07:18 AM   #2
Boris Bush

For the past 22 years I have shot all them critters. With the exception of ducks I used #5 lead on all and nothing else, and I shoot more species than you listed. The waterfowl got #1 or #3 steel.

#5 seems to bee good from tree critters, coons and squirrels up to crows on some long shots. Even my upland bird shooting is done with #5 from grouse to pheasant.
Old March 19, 2008, 07:48 AM   #3
45Dave

#4 or #5

I would go with #4 or #5 shells such as golden pheasant..heavy load with plated shot. They will give you enouph pellets to make a pattern, still kill something on the larger size and cut through brush. If you want to knock down a deer you can turn one into a cut shell for a close shot.
Old March 19, 2008, 09:03 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

#8 is the most common for dove and quail.
Old March 19, 2008, 09:41 AM   #5
Super-Dave

So #2 shot would be a bad choice for the above critters?

George Orwell
Old March 19, 2008, 11:05 AM   #6
davlandrum

You would waste a lot of meat on the smaller critters.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old March 19, 2008, 11:20 AM   #7
ZeroJunk

I don't think 2 shot would be necessary for small game. No 6 lead would work great for all you listed provided you can get 90 feet or less with a choke bore. High brass since you throw turkeys, raccoons, and opossums in the mix.
Old March 19, 2008, 04:45 PM   #8
rem870hunter

i would check your f&w laws on shot sizes. BB or #2 may be too larger for small game. i use high brass #6 and #7.5 for rabbit, squirrel and pheasant. crow high brass #6. no dove hunting here (closed season). deer 3" #1 and 00 buck. goose 3" steel BB and #2. ducks not sure yet maybe #4,#5 or #6 steel. for turkey i would use whatever patterns the best for them from my shotgun. didn't pattern for turkey yet. i am not sure about other states but NJ no larger than #4 fine shot lead or steel for small game and turkey. waterfowl no larger than T size steel or other non toxic shot. deer no smaller than #4 buck no larger than 000 buck.
Old March 19, 2008, 05:29 PM   #9
rhgunguy

I use steel 3" #3 loads for all of the above except for turkeys. I buy a hundred rounds for duck season and shoot whatever is left over at the rest.
Old March 20, 2008, 11:19 AM   #10
Tuckahoe

High brass #4 works good on everything you listed.
Old March 20, 2008, 08:45 PM   #11
DEMOLITION MAN

I thought all guns were bannned in super left leaning New Jersey!
Anyway, thats why theres different size shot!
Pretty much the manufacturers tell you on the box, and the size shot to use for the game, they're pretty close.
#4 or 5s prob. except on the birds and rabbit, #6s,71/2's seem to work well on the lighter game.
Save the BB or #2 for self defense, or maybe alligators.
'06 on everything else!
Except in NJ of course. Just kidding rem870, great shotgun though, love mine.
Old March 20, 2008, 09:30 PM   #12
roy reali

How About

The shotshell that never misses.

Actually, there is a trade off with each shot size. Smaller shot puts more pellets into a pattern and thus better chances of hitting the target. Larger shot's pattern really thins out at longer distances. However, the larger shot has more energy per pellet and retains the energy further downrange. One pellet can do more damage to the target.

It also depends on the size of the target. A dove is a small target that is relatively fragile. Throwing up a bunch of tiny projectiles gives one the best chance for success. A duck needs to be hit with larger shot because they can take some hits and keep on flying.

Like the perfect all around rifle or the perfect all around woman, the perfect all around shotshell doesn't exist.
Old March 21, 2008, 11:29 AM   #13
Wild Bill Bucks

In a purely Survival scenerio, the #4 shot would be my choice. Most ranges at which the above mentioned game would occur, would give the shot plenty of time to open up, therefore leaving enough meat to eat. In the event of a predator you might run into, this shot at close range would be like a slug, and give you some measure of self defense.