The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 3, 2008, 05:26 PM   #1
bclark1

Poaching Article

http://www.newsweek.com/id/117875/page/1

I am not a fan of Newsweek, but it's an interesting perspective. Sad as well. Interestingly enough, it might be the kneejerk environmentalists that have played a hand in this as well. Just as anti-gun advocates have created soft targets in gun free zones, so too are these wildlife refuges now poaching refuges. Without the regular traffic of responsible guides and hunters, there is no one with a real sense of value in healthy herd management, and most of these crimes can go unnoticed until it is too late. For more on that (and a great read in general), check out The Last Ivory Hunter by Capstick. I finished that a while back and really enjoyed it.
Old March 4, 2008, 08:41 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

What protection could hunters and guides offer against armed gangs who operate with impunity? Who operate with support from people in high places in government?

Most African governments are thugocracies where bribery is part of the ongoing deal. Even the nearly-honest governments struggle for money, and bribery is common. It's amazing there is as much protection as there is...
Old March 4, 2008, 04:27 PM   #3
bclark1

I admittedly don't know Africa personally, and times have changed in the sense that they are terrorists running these circles now and not just local scofflaws trying to make some change. But in the book (which is 20 years old) a whole chapter is dedicated to Wally Johnson and his group chasing poachers off the hunting concession lands, some in company-sized groups. I would just think that big business - which, at $10,000 and more a mount, hunting guiding might arguably be - finds ways of protecting its resources. Only know what I've read though