The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 11, 1999, 06:41 PM   #1
45 Fan

Hello to all:
I am new to reloading for the .40 caliber and would like to know what the proper taper crimp measurements should be at the case mouth? Thanks in advance to all who reply....45 Fan
Old October 12, 1999, 06:31 AM   #2
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello! I don't have the "dimensions," but I taper crimp in 9mm, .40, and .45ACP. I simply apply enough crimp to remove the last indications of flare on the case mouth and then add just enough to ever so slightly turn the case mouth inward. I suspect I'm leaving slightly more than half of the wall thickness
available for headspacing although many do opine that the extractor's holding the case back from the end of the chamber. Best.
Old October 12, 1999, 12:13 PM   #3
LongDuck

I use a similar crimp technique for .45 and 9mm, with my Lee carbide dies, I set the crimp so that the case will easily slide into my Midway cartridge gauge (min), and also so that the outter edge of the case mouth is ever-so-slightly shiny from being turned in by the die. This produces a firm crimp that prevents bullet set-back (important for your .40's) and also ensures reliable feeding across the feed ramp for my Glock 19's and USP45.

This method was reached after doing excessive crimp and then not-enough crimp during the course of working up loads. Take your time and try several to see what works best. IME, too much is better than not-enough (within reason), but getting it perfect should be your goal. Best wishes,
Old October 12, 1999, 04:20 PM   #4
WESHOOT2

Try .420-.423". Suggest using a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp die.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old October 12, 1999, 10:33 PM   #5
Fred

Ditto using a Lee Factory Crimp die. It has solved problems for me, like bullet setback and case bulge from .40 brass in Glocks. I don't leave home without it!

------------------
Regards - AZFred

Old October 14, 1999, 09:16 PM   #6
Trooper

Ditto again on the Lee Factory Crimp Die. Works great and a great price, too.
Old October 17, 1999, 10:56 PM   #7
TheOtherMikey

Ditto again, I wouldn't load any auto pistol rounds without using a Lee taper crimp die.
For sizing, I insert a factory loaded round and tighten down the die until it is real snug, remove the round and give the die another quarter turn. I also check with my caliper. I haven't tried using a chambering guage as of yet.

Hope this helps, Mikey