The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 14, 2013, 10:19 AM   #1
txray22

holster fit

I just received a Galco Cop Slide holster for my Glock. It's "tight". Anyone know a good way to break it in? I'm not ready to put a loaded G17 in the holster and force it in place.
Old October 14, 2013, 10:25 AM   #2
stmcelroy

Empty gun, put gun in plastic bag(s) and insert into holster.

Leave over night and it will fit much better.
Old October 14, 2013, 03:06 PM   #3
ClydeFrog

"break-in" methods....

Galco & Bianchi market products to aid leather holsters/break-in periods.
As noted, there are a few different techniques. I'd insert the firearm & let it sit for a full day or two, then practice a few draws/re-holsters to let the fabric/leather condition.
My new Blackhawk SERPA holster for my S&W Military & Police 9x19mm full size fit/worked great nearly right out of the package.
I just had to make a few minor adjustments to the screws. The SERPA's modular design, a lot like the Blade-Tech polymer holsters is really good & simple to modify.
Safariland markets a spray you can apply to holsters too.
Old October 14, 2013, 05:38 PM   #4
wpsdlrg

Just as the others have said. The standard break-in method for a leather holster is to place the unloaded gun into it, then leave it at least over night. Leave it in the holster for a week, if need be. The plastic bag trick is a good one, it adds a little bulk to the gun, which serves to stretch the leather even a bit more.

What you do NOT ever want to do is apply a softening agent to the leather, such as saddle soap, or leather conditioner products. NEVER, EVER. Those will soften the leather and the holster will tend to stretch too much and become loose.
Old October 14, 2013, 06:43 PM   #5
Old Stony

If I have a tight one, I spray some Windex on it and place the gun in a bag, in the moist holster. The Windex won't soften the leather permanently and dissipates quickly....so in essence you are reforming the holster sort of like the factory did...only not as wet. I learned this technique from a boot company that would stretch the insteps on tight cowboy boots somewhat in this manner.
Don't know if you all would consider this appropriate, but it works for me.
Old October 14, 2013, 07:25 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Unload the gun, double check that the gun is unloaded, place the gun in holster and let it sit that way for a day or two. That is pretty much all you need to do.
Old October 14, 2013, 08:18 PM   #7
ClydeFrog

wear/draw too....

If you are a armed professional or a CC license holder, Id take the concealment/duty holster & wear it around the house or apt. Let the weapon be conformed to the holster material.
I wore my Aker Comfort Flex shoulder rig off & on with my 96D .40S&W.
I adjusted the fit & practiced the draw.

It helps if you start with a high quality leather holster or well made Kydex rig.

1 hint for new Kydex or polymer holsters; unscrew/loosen the screws fully, insert the unloaded-cleared firearm, then tighten it up to the desired retention/fit.
I learned that lesson with my new Blade-tech holster & my Ruger GPNY 4" revolver.
Even though the holster shop or factory may have sent the model for that handgun it may still need minor changes.
Don't tighten it back down too much either. It should draw freely but not slip or slide around.
Old October 15, 2013, 10:33 AM   #8
txray22

This is a Galco leather holster for a Glock and as first it would push the slide out of battery when I tried to holster the gun. It's better today and I will work with it more.

Thanks to all for the help. I mostly use leather holsters for revolvers and never had much issue with them.

Phil