The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 19, 2012, 07:27 PM   #1
leadchucker

40 S&W FMJ bullet choices?

I just got a 40 S&W Shield for CCW, and I'll be wanting to start loading some practice ammo for it. Already have plenty of suitable powder, primers, and brass. A new set of dies is under the Christmas tree. (I'm not supposed to know that. ) Now I'm figuring what bullets to order.

FMJ will be fine, just for plinking/practice at the range. I'll probably be ordering from Precision Delta. So I'm trying to decide whether I should get 165gr or 180gr. Any reason why one should be preferable to the other. Any help out there?
Old December 20, 2012, 07:33 AM   #2
David Bachelder

I personally would prefer the 180 gr bullets for self defense. Better yet 180 gr hollow points.
Old December 20, 2012, 10:24 AM   #3
leadchucker

Quote:
...FMJ will be fine, just for plinking/practice at the range. I'll probably be ordering from Precision Delta. So I'm trying to decide whether I should get 165gr or 180gr. Any reason why one should be preferable to the other. Any help out there?
No preferences? Anyone?
Old December 20, 2012, 11:02 AM   #4
jim8115

I usually try to load my target / range ammo to shoot and feel as close as possible to my carry ammo. So, if you are going to carry 180's , get 180's for the range, etc

JIM
Old December 20, 2012, 11:44 AM   #5
Sarge

If you're looking for a dual-purpose FMJ load, I'd pick something with the biggest flat point I could find. The important things are that it feeds well in that particular gun and that it is affordable enough to shoot a lot.

Several years ago I shot some .40/180 UMC into water jugs; the stuff seemed to be wanting to expand and rivet at the nose a bit. I had pics of this uploaded but can't seem to find them.
Old December 20, 2012, 07:28 PM   #6
leadchucker

Trying to load to something roughly as close to my SD load as I can makes sense. I just did some price/shipping comparisons on 1000 165 gr flatnose fmj.

Every supplier except one was either totally out of stock or saying it would be four weeks or more to fulfill the order.

Precision Delta was the only one who would even take my order. And I had to order a thousand more 9mm that I really didn't need right away to get the free shipping. And I'm not yet sure how long it will take to get these.

Can you say "panic buying"? Sheeze!
Old December 20, 2012, 10:42 PM   #7
serf 'rett

I'm interested in trying the Precision Delta sometime soon. I currently use Berry's plated 165 and 180 grain flat point - slightly less cost and accurate in my pistol.