The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 2, 2010, 10:51 AM   #1
Brit

14" Pump

Having lived way north.

The law on Shot Guns is way more common sense than ours, 26" overall length is it, no matter what, folded or not, 26" overall length, period, can not be any shorter no matter what. (this is the only one, the rest are mental)

Forget the barrel length.

Searching a building or property, a 14" pump is much handier than a longer one. Try moving around with a 14" Remington 870, a room for instance, and the difference with a 18.5 or 20".

Oh, and yes, if anybody uses a 14" in the commission of a crime? It is against the law! Novel idea yes?
Old January 2, 2010, 12:01 PM   #2
dogtown tom

Quote:
Brit: ...26" overall length is it, no matter what, folded or not, 26" overall length, period, can not be any shorter no matter what. (this is the only one, the rest are mental)

Forget the barrel length.

Searching a building or property, a 14" pump is much handier than a longer one. Try moving around with a 14" Remington 870, a room for instance, and the difference with a 18.5 or 20"...
How is a 14" barrelled shotgun with an overall length of 26" "handier" than a
18" barrel with the same OA 26" length?

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old January 2, 2010, 12:02 PM   #3
Willie Lowman

...Yep. I have two M590A1 with 14" barrels. I love the size. Shame I had to get tax stamps for them but it beats the alternative.

I find them "handier" because I can have the full stock for aim and recoil control and the muzzle end of the gun is just past my support/pump hand, not a couple inches past it. I guess you wouldn't understand till you try one. You may not be impressed even after you try one, but that is why they make different sizes.

They pattern buffered 00 buck just as well as a 26." Velocity is a bit lower though.
Old January 3, 2010, 09:41 PM   #4
Brit

Thank you Willie.
Old January 6, 2010, 11:34 AM   #5
Willie Lowman

I posted this on a 590 thread in the shotguns forum. May as well put it here too.

Old January 6, 2010, 11:45 AM   #6
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtown tom
Because the 14"-er has a stock, and is therefore a tool and not a toy.
Old January 7, 2010, 01:32 AM   #7
dogtown tom

Quote:
Tamara
Quote:
Quote:
Because the 14"-er has a stock, and is therefore a tool and not a toy.
Almost every cop I know prefers a youth sized or shorter buttstock so he can shoulder his shotgun while wearing body armor.

I wouldn't call that a toy.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old January 7, 2010, 09:31 AM   #8
Willie Lowman

Youth stock or full length, it is still better than a PGO. That is what Tamara was referring to, I'll bet.

And on that line of reasoning, I might put a youth stock on one of my 14" SBS. An even shorter shotgun! Brilliant!
Old January 7, 2010, 09:37 AM   #9
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Almost every cop I know prefers a youth sized or shorter buttstock...
Not that I give a crap what the cops prefer, but I also prefer a youth-sized stock. However with an 18" tube, you're not even going to get a short stock in a 26" OAL; you'd need a pistol grip, which turns a shotgun from a tool into a toy, as I ref'd in my post and Willie Lowman correctly deduced.
Old January 7, 2010, 10:09 AM   #10
dogtown tom

Quote:
Tamara Quote:
Quote:
Almost every cop I know prefers a youth sized or shorter buttstock...
Not that I give a crap what the cops prefer, but I also prefer a youth-sized stock. However with an 18" tube, you're not even going to get a short stock in a 26" OAL; you'd need a pistol grip, which turns a shotgun from a tool into a toy, as I ref'd in my post and Willie Lowman correctly deduced.
Not that I give a crap about what you don't give a crap......but you aren't going to get any 14" with a short stock to 26" either. The only way to get either close to 26" is a pistol grip.

I'm not arguing the benefits of PGO's, I think they are next to useless. (well, except for Youtube videos of some guy knocking his front teeth out when trying to shoot one)

Old January 7, 2010, 11:19 AM   #11
richmondtx

Has anyone had any experience with semi-auto SBSs...I have a wilson combat/scattergun tech 14' semi auto...it shoots well, I've put about 250 shells through it so far.
Old January 7, 2010, 11:34 AM   #12
Willie Lowman

Why does this keep coming back to 26" OAL? Who cares? We are talking about the merits and flaws of the 14" barrel. What does 26" have to do with it?

No, Richmondtx, I have never fired a semi SBS. Is yours a cut down 1100? 11/87? Does it like low brass shells?
Old January 7, 2010, 11:37 AM   #13
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Not that I give a crap about what you don't give a crap......but you aren't going to get any 14" with a short stock to 26" either.
True, and you're right.

About the other, I was just reacting to the "most cops" thing. It's a kneejerk response for me: "Most cops prefer..." ...whatever their department issues them, and then you have to poke them with a freakin' stick to get them to the range to practice with it.
Old January 7, 2010, 02:43 PM   #14
cohoskip

I don't consider my SxS 18" with pistol grip a "toy".
I don't imagine a BG on the wrong end of it would either...

NRA Life Member
Old January 7, 2010, 08:30 PM   #15
richmondtx

Willie,

Its a 11/87 action customized by Wilson Combat/Scatter Gun tech. Does just fine shooting everything I feed it.

Here is a stock photo...mine looks just like it with the surefire and the shell carrier...thats how they came from Wilson.

Last edited by richmondtx; January 7, 2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old January 16, 2010, 07:20 PM   #16
DRice.72

14" barrel, full or youth stock. That would be better inside the home. Hmmm, I may have to invest in one of those SOT thingies. I have a shotgun that would do just fine.
Old January 16, 2010, 09:50 PM   #17
Willie Lowman

DRice72, you don't need a SOT. If you have a regular pump gun or double barrel, you can file a form 1 to the ATF (with all the stuff that goes with it) and after they approve it, you can shorten your barrel to 14" or whatever length you want.
Old January 17, 2010, 02:06 PM   #18
DRice.72

So I don't need a SOT for a SBS, or I don't need one to convert an existing gun into a SBS? I need one to purchase a SBS?
Old January 17, 2010, 02:56 PM   #19
richmondtx

You can make a SBS on a Form 1 for yourself...you don't have to be a SOT unless you are looking to sell 'em commercially.
Old January 17, 2010, 03:59 PM   #20
DRice.72

Oh ok. Good to know! Thanks guys! I have yet another thing on gun want list! LOL!
Old January 23, 2010, 02:40 AM   #21
Legion2600

Here's mine. 12" 870 with youth stock.

some more of mine:

SERBU SBS

SERBU SBS & Urbach AOW

Old January 23, 2010, 05:56 PM   #22
PJR

Quote:
Having lived way north.

The law on Shot Guns is way more common sense than ours, 26" overall length is it, no matter what, folded or not, 26" overall length, period, can not be any shorter no matter what. (this is the only one, the rest are mental)
If you are referring to Canadian law that is not quite accurate. The OAL and barrel laws only apply to repeaters and breaking guns and only if the barrel comes in the 14" length from the factory. A semi-auto with a 14" barrel is a restricted firearm and any shotgun where the barrel has been cut below 18.5" is prohibited.

Sadly Remington will no longer ship 14" guns or barrels to Canada (at least I got mine when they did.) There are however many Chinese 870 clones with 12 and 14" barrels on the market.
Old January 25, 2010, 04:08 AM   #23
Brit

Hi PJR,

Yes mine was a Factory 14", with a Chote stock, pistol grip, full one, dull flat finish.
The old elastic shell holder, white enamel paint on the front bead, jumbo safety.
Never owned a semi-auto Shot Gun, ever. Not for any reason, just have not.

Had to leave it behind when we came South, could have cried.

Hi-Cap magazines made up for that wee bit of sadness (plus the carry permit!)

Love Florida.