The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 12, 2008, 06:43 PM   #1
Leedavisone

Removing Screws From A Stock

I am going to carve a new stock for a Winchester 94 (1949), and I have the grip removed, but I'm having problems with the butt stock. There are two screws that go through the tang just back of the trigger, and they are frozen. I can probably get them out, but will bugger up the heads most likely. Is there a way to make it easier to remove them? Also, if I mess them up, is it possible to get replacement screws somewhere? I'd appreciate some advice on this one...
Old November 12, 2008, 07:27 PM   #2
PetahW

The only screw, requiring removal to allow the buttstock to be pulled off towards the rear, is the tang screw.

The tang screw is the last screw, towards the rear, on the top rear tang.

If it's difficult to remove or frozen, it's lower/threaded end is the last/rearmost filled hole in the lower rear tang - which can be treated with a good penetrating oil for several hours before attempting removal.
Sometimes it's head gets a little rusty, where it can't be seen until removal - so you can treat it also.

If you feel a need to later remove the other screws, they can be treated likewise from inside the action, after the buttstock is removed.

Old November 13, 2008, 12:26 AM   #3
gunn308

Put your rifle in a padded jaw vise and with a proper fitting screwdriver torque with one hand and tunk the head of the screwdriver with a hammer in the other if loosening doesn't work try tightening and tunking but the key is a proper fitting screwdriver this means absolutely no slop. If you do screw up the head Brownells or Numrich has replacements.