The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 5, 2006, 08:13 PM   #1
Ace12

Scope ring not square

I had a gunsmith instal my scope on my rifle for me a few weeks ago. While i was cleaning my gun today I noticed that the front ring is not perfectly square with the barrel. So i got a measuring tape out an measured from both sides of the front ring to the edge of the objective lense. i found that the ring is 1/16th inch diggerence from one side to the other. It would need to be turned clockwise just a hair to fix this. My question is: The gun is shooting very well and the scope doesnt seem to be in a bind, should i even be concerned about it?
Old February 5, 2006, 10:48 PM   #2
cntryboy1289

up to you

If it is a dove tail base, the rings can end up not being turned competely square and put on and the scope will usually be in a bind. I would take it back to him now and let him see what is up with it. If you wait until you have a problem down the road, you may end up with a bent scope and paying someone else to fix it for you.

If he lapped the rings, he may have lapped them enough to not have bent the scope, but if he put the rings on the scope and tightened them down on it without lapping them, I would think the tube is bent somewhere.
Old February 5, 2006, 10:49 PM   #3
DnPRK

What kind of bases and rings? Did the misalignment distort or damage the scope?
Old February 5, 2006, 10:53 PM   #4
Ace12

Leupold dual Dovetail. And yes, he said he lapped the rings.
Old February 6, 2006, 12:02 PM   #5
DnPRK

I'm not fond of the dovetail sights for the problems with alignment that you have discovered.

There is only one way to determine if the scope is tweeked and that is to remove the top halves of the rings. This requires the proper size allen or torx tool. Note the position and orientation of each ring half so they can be reinstalled in the same position. If the rings were lapped, you'll know it when you lift the scope off the lower ring halves. You'll also know if the scope is tweeked if it doesn't easily lift off the lower ring halves.
Old February 6, 2006, 04:14 PM   #6
cntryboy1289

info

Since he lapped the rings, he probably didn't hurt the scope. This is just one of the reasons I hate those Leupold dove tails myself. Atleast the scope should be ok for you, but I bet if you have him square up the rings, they will not fit like they did when he put the scope on. I woulc carry it back to him and let him check it for square while you are there.

Just one more reason I use the alignment rods when put on a scope.
Old February 6, 2006, 04:28 PM   #7
Ace12

what mounts do you prefer?
Old February 6, 2006, 07:10 PM   #8
cntryboy1289

I like these

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=129972

I really like the Tally rings since they eliminate the possibility of gettting mounting the bases and rings askew. They make for just about every gun out there.