The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 3, 2014, 08:14 AM   #1
jwrowland77

Same Caliber, Different Rifle Question

How would you handle this?

I had a Savage Axis .308 22" barrel that I was shooting in FTR competitions. I sold that last night and will be purchasing a Rem 700 SPS Varmint .308 26" barrel to use in comps.

I plan to use my Hornady tool and find the ogive measurement in the new rifle. If the bullets are off the lands from the rounds I have already made and not into the lands I had planned to shoot them and see how they do.

Would it be safe to tryout reloads I made for the Savage in the Rem, as long as they're not in the lands?

My reloads are near max/max per the manuals.

How many fps increase am I looking at possibly gaining with the extra 4" on the barrel? I was thinking around 30-40fps increase.
Old February 3, 2014, 09:13 AM   #2
Jim243

If I understand what you are asking, the answer should be yes it will be safe.

There are however some buts there. The first is if you full length re-sized the case and not just neck sizing. The second is if you used the load information to set your OAL and not just the L-N-L gauge to set them just off the lands.

You will need to try out the rounds in the new rifle without forcing your bolt close. If they fit and you can close the bolt without much force, you should be good to go, if not then you will need to redo your OAL on those rounds.

Jim
Old February 3, 2014, 09:15 AM   #3
jwrowland77

I'm glad you brought that up. I didn't even think about the FL sizing. I have 100 round that are neck sized, 200 that are FL sized.

I used a LNL OAL gauge to find my OAL

Last edited by jwrowland77; February 3, 2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old February 3, 2014, 10:13 AM   #4
AllenJ

Everything I know and have read says "No, you need to work up new loads to ensure they're safe in your new rifle". With your current reloads being near max I would work up a batch of 2 shot per charge, half grain increment, for the new rifle just to be safe.
Old February 3, 2014, 10:23 AM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Guys shooting in competition almost never work up loads. However, there's positively no good reason to not load up a couple of rounds at reasonable increments starting at 10% below expected max and working up. It HAS been found that published starting loads are over max in some guns. Why chance it when you can know for sure for the cost of 10 bullets and a few hundreds grains of powder.
Old February 3, 2014, 10:24 AM   #6
higgite

Why not just work up a new load for your new rifle, as you did for your old one? If the same charge weight turns out to be good in your new rifle, then you're golden (if your existing rounds fit the new chamber). If not, then you will find that out as you approach the old load in your work up process and look for overpressure signs, etc., before going whole hog with the max rounds.

ETA: Brian types faster than I do.
Old February 3, 2014, 12:04 PM   #7
603Country

I had a similar problem with ammo loaded for rifle 1, and I now had a new rifle. I worked up loads for the new rifle, and was lucky in that the new rifle liked the same load I shot in Rifle 1, but the cartridges would not chamber in the new gun. A Body Die allowed me to 'shrink' the already loaded ammo to fit the new rifle.

I wouldn't fire already loaded ammo for your previous rifle in the new rifle until I could see what max loads were in the new rifle. You might get away with it, but why try it till you know more about the new rifle.
Old February 3, 2014, 12:12 PM   #8
jwrowland77

I need to find a body die. 200 rounds were FL sized only 100 were neck sized.

Or can I just take the pin out of my FL sizing die and run the rounds up into my FL die to push the shoulders back without having to buy a body die?
Old February 3, 2014, 12:33 PM   #9
jwrowland77

Can I pull the bullets, take decapping pin out, resize in FL sizing die, then neck size them with the expanding ball and then do like I normally would as far as powder workup and bullet?