Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 1, 2013, 04:20 PM   #1
Bobby1243

scope fogging

Ho can I keep my scope from fogging when I go outside
Old August 1, 2013, 04:39 PM   #2
Pahoo

When and how ???

I'm going to "assume" that you are refereeing to condensation when you go from inside cool temp such as air conditioning, to outside humidity and the lens are gathering condensate. .... Right ????

I don't think you are refereeing to internal fogging. ... I hope.

You can apply a substance that will prevent this. You can install a good set of scope caps. You can also just cover the ends up until you get to the range and the scope has had time to warm up to the ambient temp. ...

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old August 1, 2013, 05:49 PM   #3
PawPaw

If you're talking about the exterior condensation that occurs when you go from cool air-conditioning to outside hot humid conditions, then you'll have to learn to deal with it like the rest of us. It's basic physics and it affects us all. I normally carry a soft cloth to wipe the lenses. More particularly, I keep a lens cloth on my bench outside in a zipper bag.

If you're talking about the interior of the scope fogging, then your scope has lost it's interior seal. Normally scopes these days are filled with a dry gas (normally nitrogen) that isn't subject to interior fogging. If your scope has internal fogging, then it should be replaced or go back to the factory for repair. Honestly, I haven't seen a scope with internal condensation in about 40 years, but then I haven't seen everything.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old August 1, 2013, 06:50 PM   #4
Bobby1243

What substance will prevent condensation
Old August 1, 2013, 07:12 PM   #5
Pahoo

Hello !!!

Quote:
What substance will prevent condensation
When and how ???

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/416...leaning-system

Years, I used something like this, that I "procured" in the service. Used it very little and eventually lost it. .....

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-ac...prod40384.aspx

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; August 1, 2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old August 1, 2013, 07:20 PM   #6
Daggitt

There are antifogging agents available in the pharmacy/eyecare section of your drugstore or Walmart. Can be purchased as a wax or a wipe. It helps. It is not a cure all. Have worn eyeglasses and dealt with them fogging almost all my life.
Old August 2, 2013, 10:34 AM   #7
Pahoo

OPTIC GUARD

Quote:
Can be purchased as a wax or a wipe.
Thanks, Daggitt. You refreshed memory on a product that I have not used for some time now but when I did, the results were excellent. It's a wax, of sorts and called OPTIC GUARD. Made in Joplin Missouri. However, I really don't know if it's still available.

Bobby1243
Perhaps you can give them a call. (1-877-ANTIFOG)

Be Safe !!!
Old August 2, 2013, 02:01 PM   #8
Doyle

Many years of diving taught me that condensation requires something other than totally clean glass to adhere to. The dirtier your lens, the more likely it is to have condensation issues. Use an approved scope lense cleaner and it will solve a significant amount of your issues even without added preventative coatings.
Old August 2, 2013, 05:29 PM   #9
jmr40

Leave your rifle and scope in the cold air, or at least have outside long enough for the temperature to stabalize before trying to use it.

Don't breath on the scope right before you need to use it. I've seen people mount the rifle, and look over the scope for several seconds before trying the shot. If you're not careful you will exhale right into the rear of the scope and fog it just as you are trying to take a shot.
Old October 8, 2013, 02:30 AM   #10
Bolinger

Completely agree with the other guys. Its not a cure, but general anti-fog wipes are ok, or, if your like me, I use the stuff often get some of this Parkers Perfect solution. It looks like this and it available on ebay, online, most places would sell something similar to it - http://www.actiongear.com.au/65-park...fog-spray.html There are plenty of other brands available, I know mcnett makes one as well - But this is what I use. Hope this helps.