The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 15, 2013, 05:06 PM   #1
Boomer58cal

$45 lee shotgun loader?

I've been looking at one of the Lee shotgun loader for $45. I'm just looking to load a small amount of buck shot and slugs for my Savage C-24. The C-24 has a 22 lr over a 20 ga barrel. I don't need it to be fast but I still want to make good quality ammo. I'm probably only going to load a few hundred rounds a year with it and I already have 2 12 ga loaders.

Basically I'd just like a little input if anyone has used one. Do they suck? I know they're cheap but how cheap are they?

Thanks Boomer
Old March 16, 2013, 09:55 AM   #2
Nathan

The Lee Load All is a fine reloader, especially for mixed loading. The troubles you might have are related to charging buckshot and slug loads. The pellets and slugs must be loaded by hand, but likely your powder charges will be bigger than the largest bushing. So you have to load by scale.

Last, the crimp will usually be good, but not perfect. Seems like working on my technique has made that better.

Still, I find it quite easy to load 100 slugs or 100 rabbit loads. I plan to try buckshot too.

On the other hand, if you plan to load 100's of rounds, people find used MEC 600's under $100 ready to load more precisely in terms of crimp and I would bet an adjustable charge bar might throw heavy charges.
Old March 16, 2013, 10:08 AM   #3
Axelwik

Mine works fine. Good for the money if you're not doing large numbers.
Old March 16, 2013, 10:34 PM   #4
Boomer58cal

I have two MEC's. A single and a progressive in 12ga. I like them both. You've told me exactly what I wanted to know. I was hoping to save a little cash because I wouldn't be loading a lot of 20ga. Manly just some custom loads. I'll probably get another MEC as I have a feeling it will be more versatile and durable. Thanks a million for all the help guys.

Boomer.
Old March 17, 2013, 07:57 AM   #5
Nathan

Don't take what I said too harshly....I have the Lee and no intentions to change anytime soon.
Old March 17, 2013, 06:35 PM   #6
TimSr

I have one in both 12 guage and one in 20 guage. They bend and flex, and feel like budget quality while you are using them, but I have to say that several hundred rounds, and 20 years later, mine are both still working fine. For the price you can't beat 'em but I'd rather use the expensive models if only I didn't have to pay for them.
Old March 17, 2013, 08:13 PM   #7
hagar

I have only loaded on a Lee myself, and never had an issue. I find it a very simple tool that works extremely well. If you shoot 1000's of rounds a month, you may want something better.

But you got ripped off, I paid $25 for mine back in 1984!
Old March 17, 2013, 08:25 PM   #8
BigD_in_FL

You have MECs - then you know how you can adjust them to get perfect crimps and wad seating
You cannot do that with the LLA II. I HAD a LLA way back when before Al invented the internet for doing something similar to you - just some for hunting, and they suck compared to the MEC. Buy a USED MEC Jr. for about $25 more than the LLA and stick with what you know works