The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 22, 2010, 06:03 PM   #1
87mustang

shotshell question

i have some pmc high brass heavy field hulls, some federal high brass hulls, and some winchester AA. all of these are 20 ga. 2 3/4. i am going to attempt to kill a turkey with a 20 ga this year and am wanting to handload one of these types of hulls to the MAX!. does anyone have some suggestions on what to use? i would like to be able to put either 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz of #4's in them and whatever powder will create the most powerfulest hardest hitting shotshell i can create.

or if i need a hull please let me know what kind, i just can't shoot 3 inch shells in my gun.
Old April 23, 2010, 05:13 AM   #2
87mustang

nobody????????
Old April 23, 2010, 07:33 AM   #3
Sevens

Just taking a stab at why no replies.

We don't have a lot of shotshell discussion on this forum. Just never have. There are a couple guys that have some pretty extensive shotshell setups (multiple machines covering most gauges) but generally speaking, shotshell isn't really like metallic cartridge reloading.

When you load rifle or handgun ammo, you tweak it this way and that for a dozen different reasons that I don't need to go in to. With shotshell, for the lion's share of folks out there, you are pretty much building a standard target load for whatever your chosen clay game happens to be. You use a specific wad, shot number & charge, a powder charge and the same exact hulls every time.

I'm not saying that one is easier that the other, just that shotshell loaders pretty much have a load that they make with each machine, and they pretty much stick with it.

Your question sounds like a metallic handloading question... but for shotgun shells. I don't think there are a whole lot of folks doing that sort of thing, and it looks like not too many here at TFL.

I'd recommend you post the same question on a shotgun specific site. Those guys slice and dice this stuff the same way we do, only with plastic shells and wads. (I know, because I run across these forums every time I run a search for using my old Winchester 473AA powder)
Old April 23, 2010, 07:59 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Shotshell loading can be VERY unforgiving.

Small changes/variations in the components can have a big effect on pressure.

Of all types of reloading, shotshell loading is by far the most exacting.

Your best bet is to go to the manufacturer website of the powder you want to use and pick a load from what is published.

DO NOT vary from what is listed there.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 23, 2010, 08:22 AM   #5
Dustin0

87mustang I have to go with Mike on this one. For mag. loads take a look at blue dot. Or get a good reloading manual. I know the Lee one has some recipes.
Old April 23, 2010, 08:26 AM   #6
sundog

check Ballistic Products for load manuals. it's really the safest way to go.
Old April 23, 2010, 09:31 AM   #7
Magnum Mike

You can go to any powder manufactures web site and look for starters. You still are going to want what patterns the best after that! If it were me I'd just buy the 5 or 10 shells for the season and be done with it till you have a chance to perfect a load!
Old April 23, 2010, 11:44 AM   #8
rottieman33

20 GA. 2 3/4 Winchester AA hulls load data 1oz Field Loads

Powder: Winchester WSF 17.0 Grs.
Primers: Remmington 209P
Wad: Remmington SP20

Velocity 1200 FSP
Pressure 11,800
Old April 23, 2010, 01:10 PM   #9
snuffy

87stang, go to this forum, do a search, then if you can't find an answer, register and ask.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...87c550dac929ca

Also, purchase or borrow the Lyman shotshell handbook. It's considered the "bible" for shotshell loaders. The front section has a detailed description WITH pictures of the various hulls, then you can look in the loads section to select the load you want.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 23, 2010, 05:03 PM   #10
BigJimP

I load shotshells in 12, 20, 28ga and .410 .....

I don't load a lot of "field loads" ... but for 1 oz loads in a 20ga ... you will find recipes on Hodgdon's website for Rem STS hulls or Win AA hulls / but personally I like the Rem STS hulls:

Rem STS hulls
1 oz of shot ( whatever size you want is fine )
Hodgdon Longshot powder
Win 209 primer
Rem SP20 wad
16.0 grains of powder will give you 1165 fps / 17.8gr will give you approximately 1220 fps.

Follow a published recipe / don't mix and match primers or wads or hulls.

Win 209 primers are not the same as CCI 209 primers - you can't interchange them necessarily like you can in metallic small pistol primers as an example.
Old April 23, 2010, 10:14 PM   #11
FullCry

Try to find a good heavy field load around 1,300 fps. I use 12ga. loads with 1 1/4 shot with that velocity so they should have a similar load for the 20ga but not the same amount of shot or powder due to the fact it's a smaller casing.
Old April 24, 2010, 10:52 PM   #12
olddrum1

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Go here, hit I agree, and then search. Very good site for shotgun recipes.
Old April 24, 2010, 11:09 PM   #13
87mustang

i got on alliants website after a guy just sold me almost a full pound of blue dot for 5 dollars. i must say that so far blue dot gets a thumbs up!
Old April 28, 2010, 12:16 AM   #14
DG45

How old is your gun? I noticed you said you can't use 3 inch shells. If you've got a vintage gun, the first thing I'd do is to take it to a competent gunsmith and get his opinion whether you should even shoot the kind of load you're talking about.
Old April 28, 2010, 12:52 AM   #15
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87mustang
i am going to attempt to kill a turkey with a 20 ga this year and am wanting to handload one of these types of hulls to the MAX!
Why?

I'm one of those crazies with progressive shot shell loaders in four gauges. I always recommend selecting a load appropriate to the shooting environment. Turkeys are big birds, and most hunters will go after them with big loads. To most folks, that means a 12-ga 3-inch load.

They reintroduced turkeys in my area several years ago. The program has been so successful, we had an extra season this year. Last month, I went into a LGS and asked for turkey loads and was shown a selection of 12-ga 3-inch loads. They didn't have turkey loads in 2-3/4-inch. If you're intent in getting turkeys with a 20-ga, get a gun that will take a 3-in shell.

My shotgun shooting/re-loading friends, BigJimP and Olddrum1 provided you recipe references for max 20-ga, 2-3/4-in loads, but neither of them recommended those loads for turkeys.