The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 23, 2010, 08:58 PM   #1
EchoFiveSix

Mossberg JIC Tube?

Hello all,

I visited my dad over the weekend and his latest find has been a Mossberg "Just in Case" package. The gun itself is just a Mossberg 500 but what really got me curious is the Tube that it comes in. The container is a durable looking polymer waterproof case. I could find a hundred uses for that thing but my online searching has come up empty. I sent an email to mossberg about it and whether they could sell me one sans the 500 but I haven't heard back. Has anyone seen a similar product or know who makes it for Mossberg.

- James
Old April 24, 2010, 07:32 PM   #2
X_shooter

You could make similar device using large PVC piping and fittings. It looks to be about 6" in diameter. Piping or duct could be used depending how durable you want. Just glue a socket cap on the end of a pipe, cut to your specs and glue a socket to thread adapter on the other end, wrap some teflon tape around a threaded plug, screw it in and viola! You have a waterproof storage tube. You can line it with felt, foam, or anything else you want to protect the contents.
Old April 24, 2010, 07:37 PM   #3
qcpunk

^^^^

Could even paint it OD Greed to match the JIC. But really, X is right, if you happen to have a hardware store near by (and who doesnt ), it's probably quicker, easier, and cheaper to make one your self.

You could even go a little further and get a strap setup for ease of carry. Good strapping is available from Outdoor sporting good stores, sold for backpacking. The posibilities are endless as to how you could customize it for your particular needs.

It probably wouldnt be too hard to right up a sealing system like the JIC's. It's just soft rubber with a bolt to tighten and a plate to spread the force on the rubber.
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it." --Abraham Lincoln
Old April 24, 2010, 10:02 PM   #4
LSU12ga

If you want it truly functional you could use some silicone gel to really seal out the moisture. also, you can get creative with the fittings and have a seperate ammo tube running down the side.
Old April 25, 2010, 09:46 AM   #5
10-96

I hope their quality improved a bit. I helped a friend of mine unpack four of them he had ordered for his shop saled, and I guess they got the typical tender loving care from the shippers and got dropped pretty hard. Three out of the four had broken end caps (to go along with a dimpled box). At first glance the tubes appeared to be well made- but they are far from the schedule 20 pvc you would get from a hardware store.

Edit: I'm thinking that was about 2 to 2 1/2 yrs ago.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.

Tags
just in case , mossberg