The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 21, 2006, 12:14 AM   #1
DT1

Setting Dies to Neck Size

How can I set my full length RCBS dies to neck size only? One guy told me to place a washer the thickness of a nickel on top of the shell holder, raise the ram (rock chuker), then screw the die down till it touches the washer. He claims that will only size the neck. Does this sound right?
Old March 21, 2006, 08:00 AM   #2
Superhornet

DT1---that is one way to do it, but of course that is actually a "partial resize". It will resize the neck to the proper diameter and also the rest of the case to some diameter less than a full resize...IMHO
Old March 21, 2006, 05:58 PM   #3
steve4102

There is no way to truly "neck size" with a full length die. What you are doing is Partial Full Length sizing. Here is a detailed explanation on PFL.

1. Put the Shell Holder in the press and raise the ram.
2. Screw the Full Length(FL) Die into the press so it is about a "nickle's thickness" above the Shell Holder.
3. Lube a "Fired" case (walls and inside the neck) and squash it.
4. Remove the Lube and try closing the bolt on it in the chamber.
5. If the bolt closes with no resistance, screw the FL Die into the press about 1/8-1/4 turn and repeat steps 3 & 4.
6. As you feel the resistance begin, slow down how much you screw the FL Die into the press so you are at about 1/16 of a turn, or "Fine Tuning". At some point you will not be able to close the bolt and you are extremely close to having the FL Die in the proper position.NOTE: The reason for this is because the FL Die has begun Resizing the Case-walls down to the Pressure Ring. As it does so, the Case-body lengthens slightly which in turn moves the Case-shoulder slightly forward. Then as the "Fine Tuning" continues the Case-shoulder makes contact with the FL Die and is moved slightly reward(or slightly shortens the Case-head to Case-shoulder dimension).
7. Stop when there is a slight bit of resistance when closing the bolt on the empty case. You now have a "slight crush fit" for the case in that specific chamber, or Zero Headspace.
8. Once you get it where you want it, take some masking tape or a black marker and put a Witness Mark where the FL Die Lock Ring is positioned to hold the FL Die in this position. Loosen the FL Die and return the Lock Ring to align with the Witness Mark and sung up the Set-Screw.Screw the FL Die back into the press and try squashing another case. It should have the same resistance as the previous one. If not, you need to re-adjust the Lock Ring so it does. But you are extremely close to where you want it, so make very small changes at this point.Occasionally check the fit of the cases in the chamber, say every 5th firing just to make sure nothing has slipped. Checking more often won't hurt anything and give you confidence that the Set-Up is still proper.You have now Set-Up the FL Die to P-FLR and will have the very best opportunity at having long case life and the very best accuracy possible.If you are hunting in Dangerous Game country, you should forget P-FLRing or Neck Sizing, and always Full Length Resize so the case chambers and extracts easily.
Old March 21, 2006, 07:29 PM   #4
Rivers

Spend the $12 for a Lee Collet die and don't read the 1000 words learning how to "jury-rig" it!
Old March 21, 2006, 08:22 PM   #5
steve4102

Quote:
Spend the $12 for a Lee Collet die and don't read the 1000 words learning how to "jury-rig" it!
I agree, If you want to "Neck Size" then purchase a neck sizing die. On the other hand, PFL is not a way to "Jury-rig" anything. It is a totally diff. procedure than neck sizing or full length sizing. If you read the 1000 words and can understand them you will be able to see the difference. JMHO
Old March 21, 2006, 10:10 PM   #6
Rivers

I had no trouble reading the 1000 words. Just figured that 10 words of mine, in this particular instance, were probably superior to the 1000.
Old March 22, 2006, 12:32 AM   #7
DT1

Yep, I will be buying some neck sizing dies.
Old March 22, 2006, 01:25 AM   #8
Rimrock

I had the same question when I first started out. I put the word out for a necker in good shape and in no time and for little $$ it was done.

Rimrock
Old March 22, 2006, 01:40 AM   #9
Donaldo

I always FL size new brass, then neck size only fire formed brass. Think I paid $30 total for FL and collet dies.

This way I'm not messing with die settings between new brass and fire formed stuff.
Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow. - Isaiah 1:17
Old March 24, 2006, 07:27 AM   #10
MADISON

Setting Dies To Neck Size

This may help....?

Special NECK SIZING DIES
I E-Mailed RCBS on December 12, 2004 and received the following response on December 15, 2004.

From an old #8 Speer Reloading Manual. You and other equipment manufacturers sell special NECK SIZING dies. Does this still apply to your equipment?

Neck Sizing is the term applied to the process of sizing only the neck of a case, with a special die which doesn’t touch the shoulder or body of the case. Neck sizing does eliminate excessive working of the case shoulder and body but, also, may size the neck off-center and leave the body of the case too large to chamber. A better way to reduce excessive working of the case body and shoulder metal is to use a full length sizing die but, use it so it only sizes partially. To do this, the full length sizing die is backed out of the tool so that the shoulder is not touched by the die. This preserves the important head and shoulder dimension and still sizes the neck normally. The body of the case centers the neck in the die and is sized enough to make chambering fairly easy in a bolt action.
Back the die off at least 1/16th of an inch [About one complete turn.]
Many shooters adjust their dies so that only half of the neck is sized. This leaves enough tension to hold the bullet securely for target or varment shooting

The RCBS “Ask the Expert Forum’s response was:
Yes, the necksizers only size the neck of the cases. And yes, there can be run-out after necksizing as there is nothing to support the base of the case - it just sizes the neck. AS FOR PARTIAL SIZING -- Many of our customers choose to do this - but, it is trial and error and sometimes the chamber v.s. die fit does not allow the reloader to partial size - they will not chamber afterwards.