The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 26, 2015, 05:54 PM   #1
rt11002003

Heads Up, Kimber Solo 9mm

I've been carrying the SOLO for several months using the recommended ammo. The gun has in excess of 300 rounds through it without a problem. I usually fire a box of 25 through it every month. Yesterday, the first mag went fine and then it wouldn't feed using four different mags. Couldn't see well at the range, but at home discovered the spring that fits in a notch on the slide stop was under the slide stop tab. I think the slide was catching on the spring and not going all the way to the end of the travel; preventing the round moving up.

Seating that spring properly is specifically pointed out in the SOLO operating manual. I'm always very careful with it; checking it after installation. Since a whole mag cycled OK, I can't come up with an explanation. If one of you can explain my problem, let me know. Those of you with SOLO's, be aware of my plight. I could be be doing something incorrectly. Remember to check that spring after installing the slide stop.
Old August 29, 2015, 10:34 PM   #2
Auto5

Typically, failing to properly install the slide stop lever so that it engages that little spring will cause the slide to lock back, even with rounds in the magazine (guess how I know this). Note: check the lugs on the barrel and slide for signs of peening. I ended up having to send mine back to Kimber. They basically gave me a new gun from the frame up.
Old September 2, 2015, 03:32 PM   #3
rt11002003

After reassembling the SOLO, I took it to the range yesterday. Fired 25 rounds of recommended ammo and then fired 20 rounds of 124 gr. Freedom round nose ammo. Everything worked perfectly, including the RN 124 gr. I had heard the SOLO could handle other than recommended ammo after it had 300 plus rounds run thru it. I know now mine will handle regular ammo. But, it won't be my carry gun except with recommended ammo and another 100 rounds fired without a problem.

I'm assuming the slide stop retaining spring was installed so that it rested on the tab of the slide stop pin. Sometime during the firing of that mag the other day it slipped off and went under the pin. Of course, I may have installed the spring under the pin. If so, I don't know how it would have fired more than one round before locking the slide.

Anyway, I've moved a HK p7m8 9mm into my carry routine. Really cool handgun, well suited for carry, but a little heavier and larger than the SOLO.
Old September 7, 2015, 07:37 AM   #4
Skeets
Member in memoriam

It was this constant,some,type of prob that still bugs the Solos'today.At the timeI bought2 newLc9s,as farm guns.400flawless rounds complete satisfaction .
Old September 7, 2015, 10:18 AM   #5
rt11002003

Skeets, I'll have to look into the lc9. btw, I knew of the early issues with the SOLO, but mine is recently new and supposed to have those problems solved. And, it appeared there weren't any problems for 300+ rounds when the slide lock pin spring wound up under the pin.

Mine has Crimson Trace laser sight, which I don't care for at all. It's distracting. Might be a life saver in the dark, or near dark. With the regular iron sights, it's capable of shooting one inch bulls eyes at 10 yards. But, not with me. I'm happy shooting a five group.