The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 26, 2015, 05:39 PM   #26
ThomasT

jmorris beat me to it. se the CB longs to prevent fouling. They use the same case as a 22 LR but a 29gr bullet.

Better would be the CCI Quiet Bullets or the Remington CeeBee loads. Both will be loud from a pistol and I am sure still marginal for your use.
Old August 26, 2015, 05:51 PM   #27
samsmix

There was also that Aguila load, the...sniper sub sonic I think? This is a 60gr bullet on a .22 short case. Trouble is not every .22 would stabilize such a long bullet.

With a CB as well as some of these other subsonic types, if the muzzle of your rifle is well back in the house, your house will make for quite a suppressor. At least for the neighbors.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old August 27, 2015, 09:09 AM   #28
2ndsojourn

"...if the muzzle of your rifle is well back in the house, your house will make for quite a suppressor. At least for the neighbors. "

*snicker*
Yeah, I already tried that with Remington sub-sonics and the marlin 39. I set up a shooting bench at the kitchen table and had the lady friend fire off a couple from well inside the house (to outside through an open window of course). I could hear it from both my neighbors yards. Then decided to cease fire until I talked to both my neighbors.
Old August 28, 2015, 01:00 PM   #29
samsmix

Lol...well so much for that idea. I do it with CB caps but then crows aren't neat as tough.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old September 7, 2015, 12:13 AM   #30
Clark

CCI CB shorts have ~ 0.45 gr of powder and require ~ 24" or barrel to be BB gun quiet.

The expansion is needed to get the muzzle pressure upon bullet escapement below 1 atmosphere above ambient. That is the threshold of supersonic gas.

Even then, if the bullet strikes plywood, they are very loud. The plywood is compliant and closer to the impedance of air. This allows mechanical energy to be coupled to the air.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old September 7, 2015, 09:31 PM   #31
shooter1911

Clark-I have no idea what you just said, but I can tell you I have used CCI CB Long ammo out of a Winchester 9422 with a Simmons 4X 22 Mag scope for years to effectively dispatch skunks and rabbits (head shots) with BB Gun noise levels. My wife can not hear the shots when she is in the house. I have also wondered if they would be as quiet out of a revolver, but never gave it a try.