The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 21, 2015, 07:27 AM   #1
rajbcpa

Do you spray lube pistol brass?

I have been using carbide dies for years but I always use spray lube for the pistol cases. It just makes the progressive press (dillon 550) run much smoother and it does not have any adverse effects that I have found.

I thought this was pretty standard procedure but in reading a post from another forum, apparently it is not.

Last edited by rajbcpa; June 21, 2015 at 08:04 AM.
Old June 21, 2015, 07:29 AM   #2
Salmoneye

I don't use any lube with carbide dies...
Old June 21, 2015, 07:38 AM   #3
MarkCO

I have and I have not (with Carbide).

I have found that walnut media is harder on the dies and the cases and I switched to corn cob. When I changed to Lucas Metal Polish as a media additive, the brass is cleaner and I have stopped using lube on all pistol cases.
Old June 21, 2015, 07:43 AM   #4
springer99

I use Hornady OneShot on pistol cases, but only lube about 1 in 10 that I run thru the (carbide) dies.

Yes, I know it shouldn't be necessary, especially with straight-walled cases like 45ACP, but it does make the effort much easier. This is especially true with tapered cases like 9mm.
Old June 21, 2015, 07:50 AM   #5
dahermit

When it comes to .30 Carbine cases (they are used in some handguns also), I use a drying type of spray lube. The relatively long, straight cases of the .30 Carbine are not all that easy to size even with carbide dies if it is not used. All other handgun cases, I do not bother with lube...unnecessary.
Old June 21, 2015, 08:37 AM   #6
higgite

No.
Old June 21, 2015, 08:49 AM   #7
Fox84

I do with a heet and lanolin mix.
Old June 21, 2015, 09:34 AM   #8
rtpzwms

straight wall cartridge + carbide dies = no lube
Old June 21, 2015, 09:55 AM   #9
SouthGA

I use little One Shot spray on pistol cases and it makes the press run a little smoother
Old June 21, 2015, 10:04 AM   #10
Marco Califo

clean brass straight wall cartridge = no lube, carbide dies or not
9mm and 40SW
Old June 21, 2015, 10:38 AM   #11
buck460XVR

Quote:
straight wall cartridge + carbide dies = no lube

I hear that response from many folks that have only ever sized small caliber short length cases. Apparently rtpzwms has never sized .460 or .500 S&W or .45-70.

I reload for 9 different handgun calibers and do not lube cases for 7 of them. For the other two, not only do I do it because it makes sizing so much easier, but because several manuals recommend it. I reload all my ammo on a single stage press. I have friends that reload on a progressive and lube cases so the process is easier and they don't shake the powder outta cases with compressed or nearly compressed powder charges when operating their presses. I see lubing handgun cases as no different than when you deprime.....before or after cleaning. Just a preferred way of doing things that works for that individual. Many see never lubing brass as some sort of badge of manliness, similar to shooting loads that surpass SAAMI specs. To each their own.
Old June 21, 2015, 11:02 AM   #12
rtpzwms

Quote:
Apparently rtpzwms has never sized .460 or .500 S&W or .45-70.
Be careful what you assume, you just might find you're wrong. I currently do twelve pistol calibers. I do a few rifle calibers as well. I don't have much use for hand cannons, I've never been attacked by paper targets. But I've handled them enough to know that I'll leave them for someone like you who must enjoy the recoil. Nowadays I seem to prefer pistols shooting rifle cartridges mostly for 200+ yard targets.
Old June 21, 2015, 11:40 AM   #13
BigJimP

Yes, I use Dillon spray lube on all handgun calibers...regardless of the fact that I use all carbide dies.....and for the reason - just like you say, it makes the press run significantly smoother ( mine is a Dillon 650)...

Spray lube is cheap and easy to use...( let the cases dry about 15 min / and dump them in the case feeder )....I use about a bottle of it every 2 or 3 yrs ..and I shoot about 20,000 rds a yr in handguns...( I spread the cleaned and sorted cases in a shallow cardboard box / like the lid off of a box of copy paper / I spread them out on their sides --spritz them a little roll them around...spritz them a 2nd time...roll them around and let them dry )....really easy...

My suggestion - if you don't think you need it ...run 110 cases thru without lube...then run 100 cases that that you lubed....and see what you think...
Old June 21, 2015, 12:45 PM   #14
Nick_C_S

Yes. I use Hornady One Shot case lube for my pistol cases. And yes, I have carbide dies. And yes, I also have a Dillon 550 (new, just got it last week).

So yes to all of the above. Even with carbide dies, lubing the cases is a plus. It makes resizing them much easier. And in the "case" (no pun intended) of a spray lube, it also tends to get the inside of the mouth, which helps with flaring as well. A huge reduction in press effort with lubed cases tells me that's gotta be a good thing.

I only use lube because I know I'm going to tumble with SS pins afterward anyway. The wet tumble cleans off the lube, so might as well use it. Makes sense? If SS pin tumbling after case prep wasn't part of my regimen, then I wouldn't lube. But I think my process is a win-win.
Old June 21, 2015, 12:52 PM   #15
pete2

No, I buy carbide dies so I won't have to use lube.
Old June 21, 2015, 12:59 PM   #16
Handloader109

Why spray sticky junk on a pistol case? I use on my 22TCM's and have to tumble off. I tend to use Lee's stuff more than spray
Old June 21, 2015, 01:17 PM   #17
buck460XVR

Quote:
Be careful what you assume, you just might find you're wrong.

I doubt it, especially when it comes to those .460 and .500 calibers I mentioned. Anyone that has reloaded extensively for them, even with carbide dies, knows the advantages of lubing the brass first before resizing. Folks claiming they do not need to be lubed, have not reloaded them. Altho you do not need to lube every case, you do need to lube one every so often or you will find yourself needing to stand on the press handle. This is not opinion, but fact. 45-70 altho they look straight walled and are not a bottle neck case, are tapered and also need to be lubed.

Quote:
I don't have much use for hand cannons, I've never been attacked by paper targets. But I've handled them enough to know that I'll leave them for someone like you who must enjoy the recoil. Nowadays I seem to prefer pistols shooting rifle cartridges mostly for 200+ yard targets.
I too have never been attacked by paper targets, but then I shoot at more than just paper. I hunt with my handcannons. I see little difference in recoil from my .460 X-Frame than I do from any of the rifle cartridges I've shot in any legitimate handgun platform. But then, iffin I remember correctly, this thread is not about recoil, but about whether or not we lube our handgun cases.
Old June 21, 2015, 01:57 PM   #18
Greg Mercurio

To the OP: There's no reloading police waiting to see if you lube your pistol cases, not yet anyway.

Forums like this are great. Forums always have adherents to both sides of ANY question.

If you like the way your 550 works with lube, there's nothing on earth stopping you from using it, including someone's opinion on a forum.

For those of us with arthritic joints, carbide and lube relieve a lot of stress on the joints and make it possible to reload with minimal discomfort.
Old June 21, 2015, 06:34 PM   #19
Gster

I decap with a universal decapper and stainless pin tumble them. Squeeky clean when I size them in the carbide die with no lube.
Old June 21, 2015, 07:21 PM   #20
Average Joe

No, that's why I use carbide dies.
Old June 21, 2015, 08:38 PM   #21
A pause for the COZ

Some times... If I am running a large batch of longer cases. 32 mag, 327 mag, 357 mag ect.
I also use this for all my rifle cases.

Use LEE sizing wax and mix it with Alcohol in a sprayer.

Just dump the brass on some wax paper and give it a few sprays. No need to get all sides, one side is good enough.

Drys and leaves a real thin layer of wax one the case. No need to clean it off after sizing.

Did not have a image with pistol brass but here are some 223's. you get the idea.

Old June 22, 2015, 01:05 PM   #22
Single-Sixer

"No, that's why I use carbide dies."

What he said!
Old June 22, 2015, 11:27 PM   #23
Hammerhead

I have lubed .357 brass in the past when I had trouble with my wrist. Makes a big difference in the effort needed, even with carbide.

I didn't use spray lube, I used cheap gun oil dripped sparingly on a large cotton rag folded around the brass, and worked around. Removes the tumbler dust and lubes the outside of the case only. Didn't remove the oil, not enough there to kill a primer or powder.
Old June 23, 2015, 07:17 AM   #24
sawdustdad

I might try using some lube next time I load a batch of .44mag on my square deal. Much of my reloading these days is for target .38s and .45colt, so the cases require minimal effort to resize as they are not subjected to high pressures during firing. There is a big difference in effort between what is needed to re-size a .44mag case fired with a light .44spl load and one fired with a full power .44mag load.

What can you add to crushed walnut hulls in a vibratory case cleaner that will leave a slight lubricating film on the cases such that you would not need to add anything else?
Old June 23, 2015, 09:46 AM   #25
Panfisher

I personally don't lube straight wall pistol cases, but I only load .45 and .357 in straight wall. I also use a single stage press and have plenty of leverage. However I can certainly see why some do, heck load a few with and some without and see if it makes 3nough difference for you to want to do it. Certainly won't hurt anything.