The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 17, 2012, 03:12 PM   #1
deerslayer303

KIK powder?

Powder inc. is running low on Goex, so I ordered some KIK fffg. Have any of you used this powder. All I ever hear is about Goex. I got some FFg Goex for the rifles though.
Old March 17, 2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Andy Griffith

I've never had any problems with KIK- it shoots just fine.

I do want to try some Diamondback though. It's much better stuff than the old Elephant brand.
Old March 17, 2012, 06:49 PM   #3
Rifleman1776

Quote:
It's much better stuff than the old Elephant brand.
It would be hard to find a bp that is worse than Elephant brand.
I'm on my last can of Goex, after that I have a supply of Schutzen then a supply of Swiss which will be my go-to powder as long as it is available.
Old March 17, 2012, 07:12 PM   #4
Hawg

Yeah that Elephant was some sorry stuff years ago. I doubt it's gotten any better.
Old March 17, 2012, 08:34 PM   #5
Hellgate

KIK semms to be ground a little bit finer than GOEX. The KIK FFg is half way between Goex 3F & 2F in particle size. The Diamondback is, I think, repackaged bulk Goex. The FFFg might even be the 5FA blasting powder that is screened in the same size as FFFg. I've used it over theyears (5FA) and it is just fine and acts like FFFg Goex. It is ungraphited I believe.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old March 18, 2012, 01:33 PM   #6
Andy Griffith

Diamondback is made in Brazil and is definitely not repackaged Goex.
Reportedly, it is made on the old Elephant equipment, but with much better quality ingredients.
Old March 18, 2012, 02:57 PM   #7
arcticap

It's Jack's Battle Powder that's repackaged Goex 3F, and it costs $3 less per pound than than all of their Goex granulations. However it doesn't have any of the graphite added, thus no "G".

http://www.jackspowderkeg.com/

Last edited by arcticap; March 18, 2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old March 18, 2012, 03:36 PM   #8
spitpatch

KIK

I have tested kik 2f at 100 & 200 yds off the bench. Shot groups I was happy with. Rifles used 1875 C sharps in 40-65 & 1874 C sharps in 45-70, both met sights. Groups were as good as I ever shot with swiss or goex cart or 2 f. I will use it for sil matches this summer. Have been to the range a few times with each rifle so I know it is consistant. Hope this helps
Old March 18, 2012, 03:49 PM   #9
mikthestick

Thought you might find this useful. Can't do links so:
google Balck powder conversion sheet No quotation marks The second result on the list is Black powder substitutes for dummies. go to the bottom of the page and click captain Baylor's conversion sheet
mik.

Last edited by mikthestick; March 18, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old March 18, 2012, 04:21 PM   #10
Hellgate

Articap,
Thanks for straightening me out on the powder. I knew SOMEONE was repackaging GOEX and Jack's completely slipped my mind.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old March 18, 2012, 05:39 PM   #11
mykeal

Allow me

http://www.curtrich.com/BPConversionSheet.htm
Old March 21, 2012, 12:14 PM   #12
Fairshake

Location: Livingston, La. about 20 miles East of Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Powder difference

The owner of Jack's and I are good friends. He is a Civil War reenactor and owns two cannons which is why he became a distributor. His powder is not repackaged by him as has been posted on this wire.
Goex packaged and made the runs of powder for him. It was intended to be for the reenactors and there was no need for the graphite coatings of regular sporting powders.
Graphite is added for two reasons, it makes the powder flow through powder measures and gives the powder a shiny look which looks nice. It does however slow the burn of the powder overall.
All black powder burns from the outside surface in and that is why you have faster speeds with 3F as opposed to 2F. Every lot of BP is the same when it starts out. It is made into huge round solid cakes. It then goes to the wheel mill for the making of the different grains. Less time gives us the larger grains such as FG and then you get 1F and so on until they arrive at 4F. There is no difference in the FG and 4F except in size and that is how we regulate the charge and it's power.
I see test all the time that compare Goex with Swiss, KIK, Diamonback, and so on.
First, all powders made in other countries is smaller in grain size than the Goex made in the USA.
Second, we no longer have a premium Goex but are left with the standard blend only. Hodgdon has saw fit to raise the price of Goex over 22% since buying the company. They also stopped making all the better powders.
A inside secret is that they fired employees with many years of service and cut all shifts to the bare minimum.
They are trying to stop the sporting powder business and have the huge government contracts that Goex has had for years.
The other powder companies make one top powder and don't have several blends as Goex once had.
The new Kik lot sold by Powder inc #3910 is a top performer and will give Swiss like results for so many rounds but will not shoot clean as long as Swiss before fouling out. It's a great powder to use and is only $10.50 a pound plus Haz-mat and shipping fees.
If shooting SASS matches then Diamondback will do fine but it's power ratio is lower than the others. Later David