The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

View Poll Results: Do you know any hunters that are vegetarian?
No 59 80.82%
Yes - (percentage that you know, that are in a post) 12 16.44%
Not Sure 2 2.74%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 27, 2009, 07:52 AM   #1
MTT TL

Do You Know Any Vegetarians Who Hunt?

I ask this because the UN Commission on Global Warming, (which is led by a vegetarian) is saying that to save the planet we must give up meat. I know that not all hunters are meat hunters but I don't know of any that are vegetarians. But maybe I am missing something.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6891362.ece

This is not the right place for a debate on global warming or the UN so please as tempting as it is, no comments on those topics.

For the record I don't know of any myself.
Old October 27, 2009, 09:18 AM   #2
DRice.72

I have known a few veggies, note I said known, all I have ever seen them do is "hunt" a way to get me to stop eating meat. LOL
Old October 27, 2009, 09:31 AM   #3
Uncle Billy

Vegetarians who hunt? Isn't that about the same as blind people going to an art exhibition?
Old October 27, 2009, 04:44 PM   #4
MTT TL

I have never heard of one, but you can never be sure.
Old October 27, 2009, 04:48 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

No but I do know some fishemen that don't eat seafood
Brent
Old October 27, 2009, 05:14 PM   #6
SAIGAFISH

he was

my buddy who was a veg hed hippy type wanted to start
fishing we took him a few times and he gave away some
salmon and after a few of those he took one home and
that was it . after awhile he was having cheese burgers
Old October 27, 2009, 05:15 PM   #7
Uncle Billy

I was related to a whole family of "catch-and-release" fishermen. The only "seafood" we ever ate, that we caught ourselves, was maybe a dozen 1 or 2 pound walleyes we filleted on a shore dinner and fried on a driftwood fire. Fishing was for catching, not eating about 80% of the time.
Old October 27, 2009, 05:20 PM   #8
B. Lahey

I hunted when I was a vegetarian.

I never had any ethical problem with meat, I was just fat and meat was (and is) my main food weakness. So I took extreme action.

Hunting was more about hanging out with my relatives, and they had no problem eating up my share of the critters.
Old October 27, 2009, 05:24 PM   #9
Bigjim3

I have a church member who hunts to feed the homeless. and he is a vegetarian. Only uses the meat for wild game feast and to feed the homeless. He just dont know how good Bambi taste..
Jesus according to Luke:22:36: Then said he unto them, ,,,,,, and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one......... Thomas Jefferson: "No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Old October 27, 2009, 05:26 PM   #10
SAIGAFISH

You can only carry 2 or 3

We got a ton of salmon and stealhead in all the local
rivers put there by a hatchery when they were smolts
and they grow and go to the ocean and back for us to
catch instead of the wild fish that are also in the river
only the commercial fisherman can keep wild fish

ISNT THAT GREAT
Old October 27, 2009, 05:30 PM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

How do you tell the difference? Their clothing?
Brent
Old October 27, 2009, 06:59 PM   #12
Daryl

I don't know any vegetarians...period.

Nothing against them, and to each their own choices, but I don't know any.

Daryl
Old October 27, 2009, 08:39 PM   #13
MTT TL

Quote:
No but I do know some fishermen that don't eat seafood
I do as well. My father grew up in the mountains fishing and retired to the beach in Florida. He still fishes but he never liked seafood, just fresh water fish. He gives away his catch to the neighbors.

Interesting that the percentage is so high. Makes me wonder.
Old October 27, 2009, 10:47 PM   #14
Fat White Boy

So if we stop killing animals for meat, won't they continue breeding, making more animals that fart, causing global warming to increase?

And what if 6 billion people on the planet all started eating only vegetables? The major source of protein for vegetarians is beans! 6,000,000,000 people eating beans and farting!?!? Talk about greenhouse gases!!!
Old October 27, 2009, 11:09 PM   #15
gunn308

Vegetarian is american indian for poor hunter. I have a friend who is a veggie but he lets me hunt his 250 acres that he homesteads on. He used to raise turkeys for thanksgiving but now he hunts them, costs a lot less, where it is on his own land he doesn't have to buy a hunting license.
Old October 27, 2009, 11:13 PM   #16
roy reali

re:UncleBilly

Quote:
I was related to a whole family of "catch-and-release" fishermen.
Maybe someday they will load shotshells with very soft shot. We could then shoot birds, stun them a bit, photograph them, and release them. Trying to figure out a catch and release method for bears might take more figuring out.
Old October 27, 2009, 11:23 PM   #17
Foxrr

Not to mention the millions more acres needed to produce enough veg-protein to feed the billions..= major habitat loss = end of huge numbers of the world's wildlife. Senseless, just senseless. Talk to the hand though, you can't convince 'em. They're all mathematically-challenged.
It's impossible to mention vegans without getting at least some bites.
Old October 27, 2009, 11:32 PM   #18
zahnzieh

Yeah the real lulus call themselves Vegans. By definition: Will not eat anything that has had a mother or a face!! No animal protein at all (eggs,cheese,milk etc..) Try a vegetable diet once consisting of chick peas and beans - fly me to the moon!!Lets make the world a warm fuzzy place-get real people!
Old October 27, 2009, 11:42 PM   #19
roy reali

Most Efficent Food

I read somewhere that the most efficent food source is big game hunting. If a hunter drives fifty miles to hunt, and you figure out the energy he used versus the amount of food he gets, it beats all other sources of food. I don't remember the figures, but the amount of energy required to produce one loaf of bread was incredible.

They always talk about this carbon footprint crap. Hunters leave the smallest.
Old October 28, 2009, 06:25 AM   #20
Uncle Billy

Everybody gets to do whatever they want that doesn't hurt someone else, here in the US- Vegans and vegetarians can eat what they want and not eat what they want as well, because like so many other things, their choice of diet has no effect on anyone else.

The way I see it, all that can be said is "I wouldn't do that", not "You shouldn't do that", unless "that" means hurting someone else. There's way, way too much telling others how to live their lives lately, that's no one's business. Efforts against hunting are a form of that presumption, the PETA folks have a lot in common with others who would make the world over into what they are in some arrogant assumption they are morally or ethically superior to everyone else.
Old October 29, 2009, 10:19 PM   #21
Foxrr

Some of the boffins say we are as intelligent as we are because we took to eating meat as our main source of protein. We collected meat by developing the smarts to hunt in co-operation with each other. There was no looking back. And apparently meat is 'brain-food' too. That type of protein advantage put us way ahead of what we might have been.
Wonder how many generations of vegetarianism would have us back to grunting at each other and swinging from trees?
Maybe that's the answer to global warming but it doesn't work for me.
Old October 29, 2009, 11:08 PM   #22
shortwave

Vegetarian but not by choice

Due to health issue`s in which he was born with, I`ve got a nephew(now fourteen) that has never had meat nor will he ever be able to have any. I started taking him hunting when he was about 9 and today he`s quite an outdoorsman with 4-5 deer and a very nice 11 3/4" bearded turkey to his credit. He understands that hunting is not about the kill and what his family doesn`t eat, the rest goes to a food pantry. This year he`s made us very proud cause he`s picked out a needy family and wants to shoot them a deer. Wish he could trade his deer for the $400-$450/mo. his special food cost.
Old October 29, 2009, 11:33 PM   #23
Christchild

I was raised on all of it. Meat (store bought and wild game), and all forms of seafood... Fish (freshwater and inland saltwater), shrimp, crabs, crawfish and oysters. Aside from the oysters (I don't eat them anymore), I eat, and thoroughly enjoy, seafood and game (store-bought meat, also) to this day, and wouldn't have it any other way.

I Flat-Out Love It. If "they" Outlawed it, I'd be an Outlaw.

Others being Vegan is their way/life, and I don't have any problem with it, they don't effect me. It's people like those at PETA that tend to get under my fingernails... Don't hate me 'cuz I'm a Carnivore.
Old October 30, 2009, 01:06 AM   #24
Buzzcook

The no meat thing is more about factory farming than hunting. Free range animals or small boutique farms are much less damaging that the giant pig and beef factories. But of course they're lots more expensive so there would be a market based reduction in commercial meat consumption.
The main carbon cost of hunting is for the gas to get you there and back.
Old October 30, 2009, 07:30 AM   #25
MTT TL

Quote:
The no meat thing is more about factory farming than hunting. Free range animals or small boutique farms are much less damaging that the giant pig and beef factories.
Perhaps but there is no way to provide enough protein to our population through hunting. Factory farming produces huge numbers of large animals that would never exist otherwise in nature today. If the government tried to do away with factory farming people would starve and game animals would likely become extinct through poaching in a few years. In hypothetical scenario where meat outlawed I know I would hunt to feed my family
Quote:
This year he`s made us very proud cause he`s picked out a needy family and wants to shoot them a deer.
Sounds like a great kid!