The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 10, 2009, 09:07 PM   #51
Blankwaffe

As to the Knight Redhot nipples being the wrong thread pitch....Glad Im not the only one to see it.
I had a couple Green Mountain TC drop in barrels come in a couple months ago with metric Knight Red Hot nipples forced into the 1/4-28 bolsters....tight as all get out too.
I called Green Mountain and told them about it and they said they had not seen that issue before,but would report it to knight and offered to have the barrels picked up for inspection.I got lucky and there was no thread damage to my bolsters.So I installed a couple standard TC cones as I prefer the profile and moved on.
So the Knight Red hot nipples must have had a couple batches mixed up in the packaging process.
You should call knight and let them know they have an issue as well...They need to let the distributors know to check thier inventory or recall the parts.
Old March 11, 2009, 12:22 PM   #52
ginoe

ah ha! so there is more to this...wad under the patch...

i did notice wads of what looked like cardboard or maybe felt on the ground along with patches.

the experiments continue!
cabelas hawken 50cal percussion
Old March 11, 2009, 02:25 PM   #53
mykeal

Quote:
As to the Knight Redhot nipples being the wrong thread pitch....Glad Im not the only one to see it.
I had a couple Green Mountain TC drop in barrels come in a couple months ago with metric Knight Red Hot nipples forced into the 1/4-28 bolsters....tight as all get out too.
I called Green Mountain and told them about it and they said they had not seen that issue before,but would report it to knight and offered to have the barrels picked up for inspection.
Green Mountain actually issued a recall a little while ago when a large number of people started getting barrels with wrong thread nipples installed. They found the problem in house also, and attempted to correct the barrels that had damaged thread with Heli-coils. The recall was initiated after several customers complained about receiving repaired barrels that they had paid new prices for. It was not Green Mountain's finest hour.