The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 27, 2000, 04:13 PM   #1
Chindo18Z

What makes of 1911 are MILSPEC and will accept GI replacement parts. I believe Springfield's basic model is (or was...); I would like to put away a "GI" 1911A1 along with enough spare parts to ensure that the weapon is still going long after I am gone...
Already have the parts...looking for a stock pistol not a custom...Thanx in advance
Old May 27, 2000, 08:58 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Buy a GI pistol or an early Colt (pre '70) commercial. Nothing else can be guaranteed to be "mil spec".

Jim
Old May 27, 2000, 11:36 PM   #3
Will Beararms

Chindo:

This is off the subject but I know you will be amused to know that I sold the 92FS. I got sick of dilly-dallying with that locking block and I dont care for the fact they are timid around +P ammo. The thing was accurate and I took good care of it. Also, I could never get used to that much barrel hanging in the wind.

I took the proceeds and bought a Ruger P97 and pocketed the rest to save toward a Browning BAR 30-06 for the deer woods.

If I were you I would call someone like Clark's Custom Guns, Chip McCormick or Wilson and get their take on where to go on the Mil Spec parts----good luck.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."
Old May 28, 2000, 06:24 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Chindo, mil-spec parts will usually have greater tolerances than aftermarket parts. Most will readily interchange on any "70 series" 1911. But even some of the mil-spec parts will require fitting. George
Old May 28, 2000, 10:55 AM   #5
Chindo18Z

Thanks for the info folks...I think I'm going to look into another SA 1911A1 (sold the last one about three years ago; still kicking myself...)
Will: I assure you that I am not amused. I'm still no Beretta fan but carry and fire one often (what can I say...it's issued!) Mine has the sights blacked out, some skateboard tape on the grips, and 4 coils cut off the trigger spring. It shoots pretty nice until I get out to 25M. Then I group low right (about 5 o'clock) about 1" out of the black. Good luck with the BAR and Ruger. I would love to have both. Just convinced my better half that we really need a SIG 228. I think she'll smack me if I suggest another firearm right now... (have not yet sprung the 1911 on her). "Gee Hon, I've already got 1911 magazines and holsters...and look at all these parts. Think of the money we'll save...".
Old May 28, 2000, 07:44 PM   #6
Will Beararms

Chindo:

The Fed's have just introduced the Brown Bear near our Deer lease in Bradley County Arkansas. (AR-LA Border). I told my wife I need the Bar "for the bears". "You do know that Bears are dangerous with a keen sense of smell don't ya Honey?"

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."