The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 10, 2001, 12:15 PM   #1
Dave R

Slip-on recoil pads?

Yeah, its kind of a light-weight topic, but...

I bought a used double with a plain stock. I noticed the difference in perceived recoil vs. my pump with an integral recoil pad.

I could also use another 3/4 inch or so on LOP to make it fit better.

So how much better is a permanent recoil pad vs. a slip-on? Is the slip-on gonna move around, and make my mount less secure?

Anyone here actually use a slip-on?
Old December 10, 2001, 01:03 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I've used several with good results. Uncle Mike's makes good'uns.

A permanent pad works no better, does look better, and provides less places to catch seeds, burrs, dirt and such. Also, some stock finishes interact chemically with the sides of the pad, and one can end up with a marred finish, tho less of this is seen these days.

They're a great way to see if one would shoot a given shotgun better with a longer stock. And, as always, longer means a bit more drop, causing POI to go down a bit. This is usually not a prob.
Old December 10, 2001, 01:39 PM   #3
9mmMike

I tried an Uncle Mike's slip on my 870. It increased LOP too much and snagged on my shirt/jacket during mount.
It did not move around at all and was quite secure.
It did reduce felt recoil quite nicely.
I ended up with a Pachmayr pre-fit Decelerator which works better for me.
The slip-on sounds like it might to the job for you.
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old December 10, 2001, 01:39 PM   #4
Dave R

Thanks, Dave. Yes, I am looking to bring POI down. If I do the "close your eyes while you bring up the shotgun" thing, I'm always high when I open. And I aim my shotgun, too. I have bad habits.
Old December 10, 2001, 01:53 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

How's it do patterning, Dave? There's a coupla things a slipon can do for you.

First, lengthen pull. You know this. Adding some shims can stretch it even longer, so you can fine tune the fit easily.

Second, provides padding, and thus improves comfort.

Third, a slipon provides a quick and easy way to experiment with pitch, which also affects comfort and POI. Shoot it as is. Then, add a 1/8" shim at the toe of the boot and see what happens, then try the same shim at the heel. Play with this, try various shim thicknesses and see how much pitch works for you.

Fourth, since one should remove the butt plate anyway, it enables you to try adding weight to the back end. This can speed up the swing and improve the balance, as well as cut the kick a bit.

Once you've got things the way you want it, any decent smith can match things up with a permanent pad and fitting.

HTH...
Old December 10, 2001, 05:18 PM   #6
Dave R

Patterning is great. Once reason I traded my 20ga. SXS on this 12 ga. SXS is because both barrels shot to the same POA. My only complaint is that the full choke barrel patterns nearly the same as the modified choke barrel. I don't think there's much I can do about that, though, other than playing with loads.

I hadn't thought to try experimenting with pitch and stock weight. Great idea! Sounds like I'll get the slip-on for that reason alone, then decide if I want to do something permanent once I dial it in the way I like it.
Old December 11, 2001, 05:18 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Enjoy, Dave. Nothing like tinkering with a shotgun for indoor fun.This also sounds like a good way for you to find the perfect fit, and learn a bit about stocking.

Unless you've lots of long shot opps, consider opening one of your bbls up to IC or so. This will aid versatility.IC and Mod is a traditional combo, but there's lots to be said for IC and Full. With proper loads, you're set.